The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Film and Television Production Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Indieviduall
I'm studying it right now yeah :smile: oh my lord! wow, I wasn't aware of how competitive it is.. do you know how many will be interviewed? Looking at the email, there's only 5 on that day.

How do you know, I can't find the recipient list? I'm not sure but I have a feeling again at the open day they said something around 140 got offers but I'm not as sure on the stat
University of York
York
Original post by Photographer406
How do you know, I can't find the recipient list? I'm not sure but I have a feeling again at the open day they said something around 140 got offers but I'm not as sure on the stat

God I'm nervous! wow
Hi all! Hope it's not too late to join in. I'm also a Film & TV Production applicant, though I haven't submitted it yet. Hope it works out for both of you! :smile:
Original post by ForlornUnicorn
Hi all! Hope it's not too late to join in. I'm also a Film & TV Production applicant, though I haven't submitted it yet. Hope it works out for both of you! :smile:

Thank you :smile: I'm sure you'll do great too
Original post by ForlornUnicorn

Hi! good luck, you'll do great. :smile:
Congrats to you all, I hope you all get in! There are 60 places in total, or at least there were this year, but there were 66 people in the hope that 6 might drop out! ( don't worry, some people will. A girl in my flat left within hours of arriving. Don't worry if you're that person, uni isn't for everyone). Also don't worry if you haven't studied film or media as an a level. Although you might have a bit of a head start, they treat everyone like beginners any way. Basically, don't worry, I'm sure you'll all do fine! :smile:
Original post by Nick Cage
Congrats to you all, I hope you all get in! There are 60 places in total, or at least there were this year, but there were 66 people in the hope that 6 might drop out! ( don't worry, some people will. A girl in my flat left within hours of arriving. Don't worry if you're that person, uni isn't for everyone). Also don't worry if you haven't studied film or media as an a level. Although you might have a bit of a head start, they treat everyone like beginners any way. Basically, don't worry, I'm sure you'll all do fine! :smile:

Thank you :smile: Were they tough at the interview or quite friendly? (Just curious :smile: )
Thank you :smile: Were they tough at the interview or quite friendly? (Just curious :smile: )

Well I was interviewed by Simon, who I now know to be a fantastically wonderful human being (!). He was fair but slightly intimidating (but that might have just been me). Ed braeman is pretty intense, but really has best interests in mind. Andrew higson is a sweetheart. Duncan is Scottish and really down to earth, kind of like ed but slightly more easy going. I'm not 100 % sure who actually does the interviewing or what their styles are like, but really I think they just want to see if you're vaguely creatively capable, and whether you're a nice person. :smile:
I sent my application off on Monday lunchtime and had an invite to an interview by Tuesday morning so it seems they're getting back to people really quickly at the moment! Part of the email says:

"You should be encouraged to know that this is a competitive course and only the most promising candidates are invited to interview. You should also be encouraged to know that the majority of those interviewed receive offers."

I also emailed a few weeks ago asking about places and they said that around 400 apply, 100-150 get offers and then there are about 60 places (because not everyone who gets offers will choose York as firm/insurance).

I've also applied to Westminster, UCLan and Portsmouth and done LOADS of research into all of the courses and the UCAS process and everything so I don't mind answering any questions! Good luck everyone, maybe see you next September!
Original post by Indieviduall
Hi! good luck, you'll do great. :smile:

Thank you :smile: I'm sure you'll do great too

Hope to see you both next year! :smile:
Original post by dlwilson97
I sent my application off on Monday lunchtime and had an invite to an interview by Tuesday morning so it seems they're getting back to people really quickly at the moment! Part of the email says:

"You should be encouraged to know that this is a competitive course and only the most promising candidates are invited to interview. You should also be encouraged to know that the majority of those interviewed receive offers."

I also emailed a few weeks ago asking about places and they said that around 400 apply, 100-150 get offers and then there are about 60 places (because not everyone who gets offers will choose York as firm/insurance).

I've also applied to Westminster, UCLan and Portsmouth and done LOADS of research into all of the courses and the UCAS process and everything so I don't mind answering any questions! Good luck everyone, maybe see you next September!

Is your interview on the 26th aswell? :smile:
Did anyone happen to get an unconditional offer before they'd finished their A Levels last year or do York just not do that? :smile:
Is your interview on the 26th aswell? :smile:

It was supposed to be but I'm busy so they've rearranged it for 28th January - well done on getting an interview as well!
Original post by dlwilson97
It was supposed to be but I'm busy so they've rearranged it for 28th January - well done on getting an interview as well!

Thank you :smile: At least you now have more time to come up with a TV/Film pitch
Hi guys, got my interview date last week for the 26th November and I'm just wondering, what do I put in my portfolio and how do I set it out? Thanks.
Original post by ryancshar
Hi guys, got my interview date last week for the 26th November and I'm just wondering, what do I put in my portfolio and how do I set it out? Thanks.

Sorry about the delay, to be honest I'm still not entirely sure what to do with it because they didn't even say to bring one so I was going to put some of my films onto a dvd along with a showreel and give them that probably?

How are you getting on with your pitch?
Sorry about the delay, to be honest I'm still not entirely sure what to do with it because they didn't even say to bring one so I was going to put some of my films onto a dvd along with a showreel and give them that probably?

How are you getting on with your pitch?

Hey, its okay :smile:

Well, all I've done is put some of my essays together plus some of my photography work and my productions that I've done in Media.
I've finished it like last week but I keep changing stuff, but I have a mock interview tomorrow so hopefully it should be okay. The brief was just really ambiguous so I don't know if I'm doing it right. Oh the joys of interviews, haha.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've finished it like last week but I keep changing stuff, but I have a mock interview tomorrow so hopefully it should be okay. The brief was just really ambiguous so I don't know if I'm doing it right. Oh the joys of interviews, haha.

I know, I feel like I'm going to mess it up and not have any responses to their questions :s I haven't a clue as to what they're even going to ask! I just really want to get in as it would be my firm choice
I know, I feel like I'm going to mess it up and not have any responses to their questions :s I haven't a clue as to what they're even going to ask! I just really want to get in as it would be my firm choice

You're not going to mess it up! Just be yourself, thats what my mum always says and if you do stumble a bit, just say I'm sorry or just ask for a moment, its not the end of the world, they know that you're going to be nervous. It will probably be normal interview questions like 'Why York', 'Why the course', 'What are your ambitions' etc.
And I'm still debating which uni I want to go to but its leaning towards York at the moment.

(I added some stuff to that other response if you want to have a look.)
You're not going to mess it up! Just be yourself, thats what my mum always says and if you do stumble a bit, just say I'm sorry or just ask for a moment, its not the end of the world, they know that you're going to be nervous. It will probably be normal interview questions like 'Why York', 'Why the course', 'What are your ambitions' etc.
And I'm still debating which uni I want to go to but its leaning towards York at the moment.

(I added some stuff to that other response if you want to have a look.)

Haha, thank you :smile: I think it's just the fact that so much rides on this interview! It's also weird that I'm talking to people who will be there on Wednesday, yet I won't even know who they are - strange :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending