The Student Room Group

Chemistry B for Salters A-level Year 12 Skills Assessments!?

So I am doing Chemistry B for Salters at A-level.
I am in year 12 and I got an A* in Chemistry at GCSE.
But we are doing these things called "skills assessments" and I keep failing them! Apparently each one is 4% of the final grade, and they make up 20%.

There are 5 skills assessments, each 12 marks. It adds up to 60. I looked up the grade boundaries and you need 52 for an A and 47 for a B!!

I have already fallen to a C, and I've only taken skills assessments 2, 3 and 5.

Skill assessment 2 is where you carry out a titration. Everyone else in my class got like, 10 or 11. And I was the class straggler with 8. (there WAS a 3 and a 5 as well). I cannot afford to be getting 8/12! I need to be getting 10 if I want any chance at an A!

But then Skill assessment 3 came along. Titration calculations. I revised for ages and spent the entire previous evening revising solidly. Couldn't answer a single question. Whole class failed this one. Our teacher discovered he shouldn't have given us our SA 2 marks and therefore wasn't going to give us any more marks, but he did tell us someone got 11, and someone actually got 0. The highest other than the 11 was 7, and most people got 3 or 4.
I just KNOW it was me that got 0. And if I didn't, then I probably got like, 1 or 2. We are ALL resitting that paper.

Skill assessment 5 we did recently. I cannot say exactly how that went, but I thought it went better than 2 and 3. But I cannot know.

I told my chemistry teacher I will resit any I get less than 10 in, but if I keep resitting, will that show up?
I also REALLY want to know what I got in SA 5 but I cannot know and it's killing me not knowing.

Is anyone else having these problems with the skills assessments in Chemistry A-level?

PS: Ignore my -1 reputation. I have no IDEA how that happened. I am not a bad member of this forum as far as I'm concerned.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Please reply!
Reply 2
Come on people please reply
Original post by Minecraft27
Come on people please reply

You get three attempts at each skill :smile:. They are all different though so although they will be similar, it'll be different questions and chemicals each time :smile:. Everyone should get the chance to do three and your best score goes forward so it doesn't matter which one you pick to go forward for your mark, no one will know unless you tell them :smile:
Wow this post was so long ago when I was such a worrier XD
It is fun reading over old posts. But what isn't fun is knowing that you have BIGGER worries.

My skills assessments are now at an A!

Quick Reply

Latest