The Student Room Group

Still possible to be a doctor?

okay, im currently doing a level, and always paired to be a doctor. However, due to harsh circumstances, my dream has driven away from me. I received terrible gcse grades, which are absolutely appalling, they are; 2as, 7bs and 2cs. During year 11, i started gaining As mostly, in most subjects, making my aspiration to become a future doctor more realistic, however, i experienced a burglary and had guests come over every day, during the exams. Moreover, my coursework, came in the way, a week before our finals! I expected to get 4A*s, 4As and 2Bs, but I'm not even close to t. Due to that I haven't been permuted 2 take on ANY science a level, when in fact i have a weird passion for science.iS THERE ANY WAY I CAN RE LIVE MY DREAM? I'm hardworking and determined not to let anything stop me from achieving my full potential, and aiming to get all As in a level eco, english lit, geog and maths. Hence, I'm aware that even applying for a foundation programme would be difficult with those grades, so I'm planning on re-taking 6 of my gcses, (includind bio, chem and physics) after my a levels, within 5/6 months, as i heard its possible. My parents are really supportive and had even offered to take me abroad to study medicine.

Are then any other routes, should i still chase after medicine? Thought and advice will be much appreciated. Please share yours or someone else's experiences.

thankyou.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by maryam77
okay, im currently doing a level, and always paired to be a doctor. However, due to harsh circumstances, my dream has driven away from me. I received terrible gcse grades, which are absolutely appalling, they are; 2as, 7bs and 2cs. During year 11, i started gaining As mostly, in most subjects, making my aspiration to become a future doctor more realistic, however, i experienced a burglary and had guests come over every day, during the exams. Moreover, my coursework, came in the way, a week before our finals! I expected to get 4A*s, 4As and 2Bs, but I'm not even close to t. Due to that I haven't been permuted 2 take on ANY science a level, when in fact i have a weird passion for science.iS THERE ANY WAY I CAN RE LIVE MY DREAM? I'm hardworking and determined not to let anything stop me from achieving my full potential, and aiming to get all As in a level eco, english lit, geog and maths. Hence, I'm aware that even applying for a foundation programme would be difficult with those grades, so I'm planning on re-taking 6 of my gcses, (includind bio, chem and physics) after my a levels, within 5/6 months, as i heard its possible. My parents are really supportive and had even offered to take me abroad to study medicine.

Are then any other routes, should i still chase after medicine? Thought and advice will be much appreciated. Please share yours or someone else's experiences.

thankyou.

You more than likely wouldn't be accepted onto a science related course with A Levels in Economics, English Literature, Geography and Maths. If you're desperate to do medicine, an option would be to gain a 2:1 or higher degree in any subject and then apply for graduate entry medicine. You could also apply for an Access to Medicine and Biomedical Studies course after you finish your A Levels.
A) What you have written is quite difficult to follow. I am assuming that you are the end of your GCSE.

B) Everyone works hard. Everyone has problems. I wouldn't tell people about your problems because they are not going to care.

C) GCSE's are not that important. However, some Uni's will look at them. Make sure you find out which ones do. A Levels are the most important.

D) Go to another college that will let you do Science A Levels. If necessary, get a GOOD tutor to supplement the work if the college isn't that great.

E) I wouldn't advice you to do Medicine. It is stressful enough, without the retakes and etc and A Levels are a lot tougher than GCSEs. You are going to be still studying when your friends have graduated. By the time you graduate, you will be placed in a job with shoddy hours and relatively low pay.

Now, you are a probably teenager. So, I am doubt I can change your mind, if it is your dream. However, I would advice you to look at something else because there are a 100 other things that you can do with a lot of other options.
Reply 3
My dream was to play for Leeds Utd. Unfortunately I'm not very good at football....

do you see where I am going with this?

thankyou.

My advice to you would be do not re-take your A -levels, and do not retake your GCSEs (unless you need to get a grade up to meet a minimum subject entry requirement) after you've finished your A-levels. They most likely won't be considered.

Tbh, I see two routes that I'd consider if I were you:

1. Foundation programme. Get your work experience sorted, write a banging personal statement, rock your UKCAT, and get stellar grades at A-level. Apply to A101s that don't place much emphasis at all on GCSE, and you've still got a shot.
2. Do another degree and then apply GEM.
Reply 5
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
My advice to you would be do not re-take your A -levels, and do not retake your GCSEs (unless you need to get a grade up to meet a minimum subject entry requirement) after you've finished your A-levels. They most likely won't be considered.

Tbh, I see two routes that I'd consider if I were you:

1. Foundation programme. Get your work experience sorted, write a banging personal statement, rock your UKCAT, and get stellar grades at A-level. Apply to A101s that don't place much emphasis at all on GCSE, and you've still got a shot.
2. Do another degree and then apply GEM.

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. Yes I'm working hard, keeping my options open, and I'm not planning to retake my A levels, but might consider doing another year of A levels, after i finsih my current one's? What do you say? Hence, for the foundation programme is there much emphasis on your gcses? Any uni's you know, that base their entry for foundation programme solely on Alevels and not gcse?

Thankyou, in advance.
Reply 6
As harsh as it sounds, universities don't accept GCSE retakes.
Reply 7
Those don't really count as extenuating circumstances. Even if you had guests over every day during the exams, any work you had done up to that point should probably have been sufficient to do better than that, if you are as capable as you claim. I hate to say it but prospective medical students aren't "supposed" to be unduly troubled by GCSEs.

Also, those aren't appalling GCSE results, and referring to them as such would probably annoy people who are envious of your grades.

Try foundation medicine programmes.
How old are you? I find the stuff about "I experienced a burglary" odd for a teenager as presumably it was your parents house that was burgled and they dealt with all the admin stuff. Why did having your house burgled mean you had lots of guests to stay? Couldn't you just retreat to your bedroom and study, and leave your parents to entertain the guests as presumably they invited them and you say your parents are supportive? Could you not ask your parents to stop inviting guests over during your exams? If the guests were only there during your exams you should have done your studying before then anyway and just hung around the school library rather than going home. It's not clear why you left your course work to the last minute.
Sorry to sound harsh but a burglary and a few guests don't sound that traumatic, just normal life events.
If you weren't considered capable of doing science A levels then it's unlikely you'd be able to be a doctor, ideally to be a medical student you should find science easy. If I had been told I couldn't do science A levels at school I'd have left school and gone to a 6th form college where you can choose your subjects.
I'd have a serious rethink about alternative careers.
Reply 9

thankyou.

I can only give you two advice of routes

1. Give up medicine or

2. Follow what I did, though it may a little bit late for you, but it is possible if you have as much passion and dedication as you mention in the post.

I only took 6 subjects in IGCSE with 4A*s and 2B, therefore in a similar situation as you, basically less competitive GCSE grades, though I wouldn't use the word "poor" as you did, as there are others I am sure content with your GCSE grades.

Several universities put an emphasis on GCSE, and several others don't. However, even those that do, if you have achieved A level grades, for most of them GCSEs will play a much less significant part.

What I am suggesting is enter as a private candidate for A level examinations, furthermore if you hold as much potential as you say in the post then take them a year early. I do not suggest directly going on a gap year with achieved grades in year 13, as that would be one of your last resorts, and your chances to get into med at your current stage at the year you finish school is as harsh as it may sound pretty slim.

By doing A levels a year early, I mean complete full A levels (AS and A2) in year 12 in one year for your case, in particular you have to pick up Chemistry, as it is an requirement for almost all medical schools. You could sit the AS modules half way through year 12 and the A2 modules end of year 12. This way, when you apply, you would already have the achieved grades, increasing your chance for applying as a year 13, and if unfortunately you didn't receive a place, you can then go on a gap year, rather than aiming for the gap year initially. By doing this, you could also use year 13 to do more volunteer work and work experience as you would have completed your A levels.

This route is totally possible if you are really dedicated, which is the path I walked down and I am now a medical applicant for 2014 entry,

Spoiler

Obviously I have not received an offer from any medical school yet so I can't guarantee my path being any good but I think from what I read and university requirements it certainly should be considered by those who did less well in GCSEs.

Save the energy you would waste to retake your GCSEs, instead consider to follow my path and use that energy to do A level sciences, even as a private candidate.

When I was in your situation a year or two ago, these were the only two paths I considered, if I didn't think that I am capable to do the Second path, to take A levels early, I would have taken the first past and to give up medicine. Therefore, my own humble opinion is, if you don't think your capable of the second path, simply choose the first as you are not as dedicated as you may have mentioned.
(edited 10 years ago)
aww you're motivation is really adorable. I don't think you should re do your GCSEs, the stress of having to re do them and most likely the uni wont accept them plus they're not to bad. A lot of course don't require amazing 9 A* GCSE results or whatever, so keep working hard at yout A levels. A lot of universities for medicine will only consider you if you've taken Biology and chemistry, so really you need the two of those. Maybe you can do them out of school? or go to another college that will let you do them, because they are necessary, and entry requirements are hard 3 As at the least some vary, but its what you should aim for. I would also love to go into medicine, but the doubtful person that I am, don't think im capable of it. Because im not smart enough, that's not to say you are not. Don't let anyone tell you any different, because only you know what youre capable of, but its to say there are alternatives, other career paths just as fulfilling, but someone with a motivation like you, go for it. You may most likely have to down another route like biomed or a foundation year or whatever, but I do wish you all the best. Get looking on university websites UCAS websites etc for more information of what is required of you, and don't forget other things, e.g CVs, personal statements, I know its early but you need to think about it especially as you'll need a lot of relevant voluntary work. Good luck xxx
Reply 11
Original post by Einstein786
aww you're motivation is really adorable. I don't think you should re do your GCSEs, the stress of having to re do them and most likely the uni wont accept them plus they're not to bad. A lot of course don't require amazing 9 A* GCSE results or whatever, so keep working hard at yout A levels. A lot of universities for medicine will only consider you if you've taken Biology and chemistry, so really you need the two of those. Maybe you can do them out of school? or go to another college that will let you do them, because they are necessary, and entry requirements are hard 3 As at the least some vary, but its what you should aim for. I would also love to go into medicine, but the doubtful person that I am, don't think im capable of it. Because im not smart enough, that's not to say you are not. Don't let anyone tell you any different, because only you know what youre capable of, but its to say there are alternatives, other career paths just as fulfilling, but someone with a motivation like you, go for it. You may most likely have to down another route like biomed or a foundation year or whatever, but I do wish you all the best. Get looking on university websites UCAS websites etc for more information of what is required of you, and don't forget other things, e.g CVs, personal statements, I know its early but you need to think about it especially as you'll need a lot of relevant voluntary work. Good luck xxx

Thankyou, that's really sweet and motivating. Yes there are other options available, I'm currently not doing any science A levels, after I'm done with them if I'm still interested in medicine i might go 4 a foundation route, or re-do my gcses and then go for a foundation programme? Thats only if gcses matter less for the foundation programme, if you've achieved As and A*s at the end of A level? Is it possible, has it happened before?
As it's only November if you passed your science GCSEs and want to do medicine why are you wasting 2 years doing non-science A levels? It makes no sense. Change schools or go to college and find somewhere more flexible. If doing medicine is really what you want to do it's not clear why you've given up the idea of science A levels that easily. If you struggled with the science GCSEs then it's maybe not the best career for you and you're maybe just coming to terms with the fact that ambitions and dreams can change with time. It's no good having a dream of being a ballet dancer if you're clumsy and a mediocre dancer for instance, and you managed to get some As so maybe should look for a career that plays to your strengths if the As weren't in the sciences.
My son wants to be an engineer and if he'd just got 2s or 3s in his maths and science standard grades I'd have been complaining to the school if they'd refused to let him sit the highers he wanted to do and looking at changing schools if we all felt he had underperformed but had potential and the school was inflexible.
If he'd tried hard and still got 2s and 3s then it would be looking at either different careers or going down something like the HND route.
Thankyou, that's really sweet and motivating. Yes there are other options available, I'm currently not doing any science A levels, after I'm done with them if I'm still interested in medicine i might go 4 a foundation route, or re-do my gcses and then go for a foundation programme? Thats only if gcses matter less for the foundation programme, if you've achieved As and A*s at the end of A level? Is it possible, has it happened before?

A foundation route is usually for people who miss that A grade they needed or didn't achieve the results needed for BMedsci. I don't think its necessary to re take your GCSEs if you go down the foundation route, plus your GCSEs aren't bad, theyre more concerned about your A leves. Its not that they matter less, its just your grade requiremnts aren't as high, I wouldn't recommend re taking them. Its really not worth it, unless you didn't get a grade B in your sciences. For example the university of Nottingham requires at least 5 GCSEs, double or single science at grade B, biology, maths and English language grade C, and it also mentions that if Biology hasn't been taken at A level (your case) then a grade B in Biology GCSE is required. But that's just GCSEs (its not as important) you'll only be considered if you get the A level requirements, which is CCC (for Notts uni, it does vary, but is similar) You REAALLYYY need that science A level though. For medicine you NEED biology and Chemistry, but for a Foundation year medicine you NEED to have taken Chemistry A level (for Notts uni, but is similar to others) with Grades CCC, so as you can see its for people who have missed that AAA for whatever reason or missed the GCSE requirement. Have a look at different university requirements, you'll find that they're fairly similar. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/medicine/medicine-with-a-foundation-year-bmbs.aspx Hope that helps, don't stress, you'll be fine! <3 :smile:
Foundation programmes!!
Reply 15
A foundation route is usually for people who miss that A grade they needed or didn't achieve the results needed for BMedsci. I don't think its necessary to re take your GCSEs if you go down the foundation route, plus your GCSEs aren't bad, theyre more concerned about your A leves. Its not that they matter less, its just your grade requiremnts aren't as high, I wouldn't recommend re taking them. Its really not worth it, unless you didn't get a grade B in your sciences. For example the university of Nottingham requires at least 5 GCSEs, double or single science at grade B, biology, maths and English language grade C, and it also mentions that if Biology hasn't been taken at A level (your case) then a grade B in Biology GCSE is required. But that's just GCSEs (its not as important) you'll only be considered if you get the A level requirements, which is CCC (for Notts uni, it does vary, but is similar) You REAALLYYY need that science A level though. For medicine you NEED biology and Chemistry, but for a Foundation year medicine you NEED to have taken
Chemistry A level (for Notts uni, but is similar to others) with Grades CCC, so as you can see its for people who have missed that AAA for whatever reason or missed the GCSE requirement. Have a look at different university requirements, you'll find that they're fairly similar. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/medicine/medicine-with-a-foundation-year-bmbs.aspx Hope that helps, don't stress, you'll be fine! <3 :smile:

Omg, thankyou, that really helped! But yeah I'm hoping to get all As at level, and then i'll decide what foundation programme i want to consider! :smile:
It is not your GCSE grades that should be worrying you - I think Universities would compromise with some not-so-good GCSE grades as long as you achieve high A level grades. I think it is the fact that you are not doing a single science subject (discounting Maths) at A level which I am sure is compulsory for applying for most Medicine courses. Although if you plan on doing a Foundation Medicine course beforehand, perhaps you will manage it. Keep working hard and keep looking for opportunities and you should be fine.
I thought some medical schools have those courses that are a bit longer but let you study medicine, if you haven't taken them at a level. And it's a bit random that you weren't allowed to take sciences. Your results were very good, so don't beat yourself up about it! :smile: So either apply to the longer medical courses or just move college?
Omg, thankyou, that really helped! But yeah I'm hoping to get all As at level, and then i'll decide what foundation programme i want to consider! :smile:

yeahh good idea work hard and get those grade As :wink: I think you can accomplish anything if you put your mind to it! But remember you need those science A levels(bio and chem), you'll find that every university requires it! aww well Good Luck I really hope you get what you want! xx <3
Reply 19
yeahh good idea work hard and get those grade As :wink: I think you can accomplish anything if you put your mind to it! But remember you need those science A levels(bio and chem), you'll find that every university requires it! aww well Good Luck I really hope you get what you want! xx <3

Im trying to keep my mind open to other prestigious career options as well, but...then after a while i stop and think, i really want to do medicine. I was thinking of Law LLB, or even doing a PHD in economics, to become a consultant.

Despite my gcses, and the fact that i didn't take any science Alevels on board, but achieved good Alevels, will i be accepted for any foundation programmes, wouldn't my gcses be taken into consider?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending