The Student Room Group

Barrister Salaries.

Could someone provide me with the average salary/salary range for each of the following:

Criminal Defence Barrister;
Commercial Barrister;
In-house Commercial Barrister;
Criminal Prosecution Barrister

THANK YOU.
Original post by JoshuaBrindle
Could someone provide me with the average salary/salary range for each of the following:

Criminal Defence Barrister;
Commercial Barrister;
In-house Commercial Barrister;
Criminal Prosecution Barrister

THANK YOU.

Barristers don't have salaries unless working in house either for a solicitors' practice, commercial business or public sector position. Barristers have gross fees (turnover) and net income (profit).

http://www.lawcareers.net/Information/LCNSays/Earnings-at-the-Bar-great-expectations
Reply 2
£7 per hour, so above minimum wage
Reply 3
Original post by woody-wood

:lol:

There is really no way of predicting how much a barrister will earn without devolving into anecdotal evidence. Although all the anecdotal evidence I've gathered has indicated that most non-commercial law barristers, especially the new ones, can barely make rent.
Reply 4

There is really no way of predicting how much a barrister will earn without devolving into anecdotal evidence. Although all the anecdotal evidence I've gathered has indicated that most non-commercial law barristers, especially the new ones, can barely make rent.

With regards to the criminal bar, you should read this. Oh and there is a recent podcast from Law in Action that is tangential to this, but still a good listen, even though it does appear a bit one-sided.
Reply 5
Original post by arrowhead

With regards to the criminal bar, you should read this. Oh and there is a recent podcast from Law in Action that is tangential to this, but still a good listen, even though it does appear a bit one-sided.

it is weird how my jokingly low wage in some instances comes close to the mark for some NQ barristers ... definitely worth the hard work
Reply 6
it is weird how my jokingly low wage in some instances comes close to the mark for some NQ barristers ... definitely worth the hard work

I had someone ask me today if they would be 'earning well' if they ended up at a top criminal set in London. Where do you draw the line between honesty and pessimism when asked a question like that? :sigh:
Reply 7
I had someone ask me today if they would be 'earning well' if they ended up at a top criminal set in London. Where do you draw the line between honesty and pessimism when asked a question like that? :sigh:

thats really funny, although at the same time quite distressing
Reply 8
thats really funny, although at the same time quite distressing

I know... I've worked with a lot of prospective law students this summer and becoming a criminal barrister turns up very commonly in their aspirations. It's a tough question to answer without completely killing their enthusiasm.

The kicker of the situation was that one of Law summer schools I worked for organised a trip to an Inns of Court where they met with a barrister who pretty much said everything horrible that could be said about recruitment at the Bar today in/under 45 minutes and absolutely horrified my wide-eyed and idealistic Year 12 students. I felt he could've been gentler, but well, he got the point across.

In a really evil and sadistic way, it was a little comical to see their animated expressions as their dreams crumbled before their eyes.
Reply 9
I got about £6.50 per hour.

Oh wait, you're not talking about coffee?
Sadly there are times where I think a Barista might earn more per hour than some junior barristers after expenses...
I work in a law firm and we regularly instruct Counsel/Barristers for writing reports and appearing at Proof hearings. An avergae report from a Senior Counsel may come in around 2000 plus vat so it is good value as normally per hour their rates are around 400. For an average 5 day proof hearing an advocate may take in around £10,000

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

how do you answer something that is based on the entirely subjective premise of "earning well" ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending