The Student Room Group

Sixth Form

I was just wondering, I'd like to do medicine, but I know that I might not be able to cope with the demands of the course. The problem is, I don't want teachers/tutors etc. to know about my medical record (history of anxiety disorders amongst others) and they'll want to know why I don't think I'll be able to do medicine. Should I let them know my record could hinder my chances of getting into a "stressful" course such as this? I mean, 6th form teachers supposedly spend more time with the students (right?), so is it important to mention for ucas applications etc.? (I'm a bit ashamed of it)
Reply 1
(By the way, I'd post this on the medicine forum if I were you - you're likely to get a way larger response).

Why would your medical record hinder your chances at medical school, especially if this is history and is not current? I know a number of medical students with a history of similar conditions and they got in. If you want to do it, and you think you can cope, then go for it!

It may be worth mentioning on your application form if you can point out some positives from it, for example learning more about medical profession, see doctors at work - if this has inspired you. Otherwise, I see no reason to mention it. (Bear in mind you may have to mention it on medical questionnaire for medical school - but where I applied, and I think this is the general rule, the admissions tutors didn't see the forms at all). If you do, probably the best place to put it is your reference, meaning you'd have to tell a teacher. Doesn't mean they'd all have to know though, not by a long way!

There's certainly no need to be ashamed of anything, please try not to be. It's not that rare to suffer from anxiety disorders; your teachers and admissions tutors have no doubt heard it all before, and I really doubt they're going to think anything less of you for it. However cliched it sounds (and I apologise!), you're a person, and more than some medical history.

Hth
Thanks for the advice, it has been helpful :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending