The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

History and development studies at SOAS ????

Hi am interested in combining history and development studies at SOAS was just wondering what is the degree like?

Also I have just applied for straight History do you think SOAS will let me change to history and developments studies if they give me an offer?

Thanks for any advice means a lot to me.
Reply 1
Original post by xcon
Hi am interested in combining history and development studies at SOAS was just wondering what is the degree like?

Also I have just applied for straight History do you think SOAS will let me change to history and developments studies if they give me an offer?

Thanks for any advice means a lot to me.

Hi xcon

I knew quite a few people doing the Development Studies Master's degree at SOAS, but not the undergrad, so my answers might not be entirely applicable.

For the DS Masters degree, my friends were surprised at how technical some of the modules were, such as the economics related modules. Most of them had come from a humanities background and struggled. Overall they were really happy with the quality of the course and felt it equipped them well for their careers, and those I'm still in touch with are working in very good jobs in overseas NGOs.

When I was SOAS a few years ago, Development Studies was one of the most popular Master's degrees at the uni. Every lecture was packed to capacity and If I recall correctly, there were 200 students taking it. On my course there were 12! They didn't feel the number of students effected the quality of the course, but it does suggest it is an immensely popular subject, and as such it might be difficult to transfer.

I have a friend who did the history BA, and absolutely loved it, both the content and the academic support, to the extent that he did and MA and is doing a Phd there.

:smile:
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by Milostar
Hi xcon

I knew quite a few people doing the Development Studies Master's degree at SOAS, but not the undergrad, so my answers might not be entirely applicable.

For the DS Masters degree, my friends were surprised at how technical some of the modules were, such as the economics related modules. Most of them had come from a humanities background and struggled. Overall they were really happy with the quality of the course and felt it equipped them well for their careers, and those I'm still in touch with are working in very good jobs in overseas NGOs.

When I was SOAS a few years ago, Development Studies was one of the most popular Master's degrees at the uni. Every lecture was packed to capacity and If I recall correctly, there were 200 students taking it. On my course there were 12! They didn't feel the number of students effected the quality of the course, but it does suggest it is an immensely popular subject, and as such it might be difficult to transfer.

I have a friend who did the history BA, and absolutely loved it, both the content and the academic support, to the extent that he did and MA and is doing a Phd there.

Thanks for reply , i might also hopefully do the same and just do development studies as a master
Reply 3
Original post by xcon
Thanks for reply , i might also hopefully do the same and just do development studies as a master

Sounds good, I'm sure you'll enjoy SOAS :biggrin:. If you do your BA there you'll have a really good chance of getting onto the masters degree with no trouble :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Milostar
Hi xcon

Wow, thank you very much! Your answer is definitely helpful to me! I currently received an offer for Msc in DS from SOAS, and I have a hard time making a choice between SOAS and Lund University in Sweden. My most concern is about the career when graduating. And it‘s good to know that the graduates get really good jobs in overseas NGOs. Thank you again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending