The Student Room Group

Am I in the wrong?

I have some work friends that I have only really built a friendship with over the last year or so and me and my boyfriend have been together for 5 years.

One of the friends has their birthday the same time as my boyfriend, they have ALWAYS known this as I have told them previously.
My friend is starting to make birthday plans and the other day I told her that I can spend her birthday with her but not the weekend as I will be with my boyfriend. She was getting all cocky saying that she should come first but I just ignored it and assumed it was because she was tipsy.

The subject was mentioned again yesterday and I explained I will be spending a nice weekend with my boyfriend so I can't promise I'll go to her birthday (to a strip club which really isn't my thing) and they believe I should put the friend before my boyfriend.

What is everyone else's opinion on this?

Am I a bad friend by being honest and wanting to spend time with my boyfriend of 5 years??
Reply 1
You're not in the wrong. Strip clubs aren't your thing and you have been with your boyfriend longer than you have known these new friends. But is there any compromise you can come to? Spend the day with her? arrange a dinner?
Reply 2
That's just plain retarded. Your friends sound like idiots.
Reply 3
Reply 4
No yr boyfriend easily comes first in that situation. And youve been nice to tell her you'll spemd her birthday with her some othrr time
Reply 5
Off course your boyfriend comes first, Im surprised you even had to ask...?
Your boyfriend should come first! If it's his birthday then she should be respectful that your boyfriend is first in your life. Maybe she has forgot that it is his birthday? If not, then she is in the wrong to tell you that she has to be first which obviously shows that she is not taking into account your feelings. You could say that as you couldn't go to her birthday then you can make plans to go such-and-such a place to make up for it?
No, you're definitely in the right.

This is a situation where I feel the English language needs a stronger word than boyfriend/girlfriend to convey the seriousness of a relationship (partner is okay but a bit corporate and bland). If you were married there would, presumably, be no question of missing his birthday.
Reply 8
Your asking whether or not to go to a strip club with your friends on your boyfriends birthday or spend time with him.

No brainer...

Take cash because the ATMs usually have a massive fee.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending