The Student Room Group

York, Bristol, Durham, Sheffield and Newcastle

I've put down these 5 as my choices for university... I went to all the open days (except Bristol) but cannot decide between them at all..

I just wondered what it's really like to be a student at each? Socially, accommodation, studying abroad etc

any information would seriously help!
Reply 1
Original post by Poppy__
I've put down these 5 as my choices for university... I went to all the open days (except Bristol) but cannot decide between them at all..

I just wondered what it's really like to be a student at each? Socially, accommodation, studying abroad etc

Socially not too bad provided that you join societies. It's like a tight-knit community here at York. So you tend to get close to those who you share a communal kitchen with.
Studying abroad is always an option and they do have employees that solely focus on this aspect.
Accommodation really depends on how much you're willing to part with. £115+ gets you the better accommodation. The cheaper ones aren't really that nice. :/
Bear in mind that any responses will be one person's opinion of the only Uni they've ever been to - and their needs/interests wont be the same as yours.

You dont have to take a definite choice about any of these Unis until MAY.
And in any case it will depend on what offers you get - if any.
Reply 3
No matter what anyone tells you, unis are different- it's not a one size fits all thing..

i'm at york and i love it.. it's a bubble campus with a close-knit communal atmosphere where you don't have to feel disturbed by the outside world unless you want to. societies are probably a slightly bigger deal here than at some unis too. i like the nightlife here too because every club/pub has a unique feel to it, rather than just having a generic O2 academy or something, which makes it feel like there's more variety on nights out.

my mate is at newcastle- and that seems to be very party central.. he tells me about his massive drug parties, and while i'm not saying that newcastle is necessarily like that, you wouldn't find a party like that anywhere in york for example.
Reply 4
Original post by Tridentus
No matter what anyone tells you, unis are different- it's not a one size fits all thing..

i'm at york and i love it.. it's a bubble campus with a close-knit communal atmosphere where you don't have to feel disturbed by the outside world unless you want to. societies are probably a slightly bigger deal here than at some unis too. i like the nightlife here too because every club/pub has a unique feel to it, rather than just having a generic O2 academy or something, which makes it feel like there's more variety on nights out.

my mate is at newcastle- and that seems to be very party central.. he tells me about his massive drug parties, and while i'm not saying that newcastle is necessarily like that, you wouldn't find a party like that anywhere in york for example.

Well said. :smile:
Sheffield is wonderful. Best SU in the country, (and that was with half of it closed for refurbishment), different themed night at foundry and fusion in the SU every night - pretty much.
Loads of bars down west st/ division street. We are spoilt in terms of buses, 80p for a student single. Just amke sure you get the right 120 back towards halls. Nothing worse than being in a rush and accidentally getting the 120 towards the Hallamshire hospital and not Fulwood!
Really close to the peak district if you like walking/ biking and things like that. Tonnes of societies, if you can't find one you like/ are interested in, you're really not trying hard enough.
Doesn't feel like you're in a bit of a bubble like York/ UEA can do - i'll admit I applied to both, and i would have learnt to love the bubble had I gone.
Reply 6
Original post by .snowflake.
Sheffield is wonderful. Best SU in the country, (and that was with half of it closed for refurbishment), different themed night at foundry and fusion in the SU every night - pretty much.
Loads of bars down west st/ division street. We are spoilt in terms of buses, 80p for a student single. Just amke sure you get the right 120 back towards halls. Nothing worse than being in a rush and accidentally getting the 120 towards the Hallamshire hospital and not Fulwood!
Really close to the peak district if you like walking/ biking and things like that. Tonnes of societies, if you can't find one you like/ are interested in, you're really not trying hard enough.
Doesn't feel like you're in a bit of a bubble like York/ UEA can do - i'll admit I applied to both, and i would have learnt to love the bubble had I gone.

I would have loved to have gone to Sheffield.
Original post by Poppy__

Bristol is an amazing city with a great nightlife. There's so many bars/pubs/restaurants/clubs the city has to offer there's always somewhere new to go. It's really hilly though, and not to mention expensive, but that's quite minor and shouldn't put you off from applying. Most people I've met are really nice and societies are great - both the actual society and the people in it. Accommodation ranges from beautiful to meh. Very nice mix though! Loved every minute living here :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending