The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Film studies applicants 2014?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by orsonwelles
Yay. Congrats. I haven't visited Bristol yet.. What's it like? Is it really different from Warwick and Exeter? Have you visited St Andrews?

Yeah, I think we have :smile: Bristol, Warwick, Exeter and St Andrews..

I really loved Bristol when I went, it's spread in the city, so it's really different from the more isolated campus atmosphere in Warwick. The open day little lecture-talk about film was very engaging at Bristol too, I thought.
I haven't been up to St Andrews because its absolutely miles away from where I live! I didn't get to go to Exeter either, I applied there mainly on what friends told me about it. Did you visit - what's it like? :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 41
Original post by catch23
I also got an offer from Bristol!! So happy because it was my top choice! Is it yours too? We've applied to really similar unis I think? :L

Hey, congrats on the offer! Which course was it specifically you applied for? I've still not heard from them, getting pretty anxious now...
Reply 42
Original post by sunnmeister
Hey, congrats on the offer! Which course was it specifically you applied for? I've still not heard from them, getting pretty anxious now...

Thanks! I applied for English and Film, did you apply for just film? It shouldn't be too long now if you haven't heard, A because I've heard with a joint honours course, and B because the 31st deadline is coming up - good luck! :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by catch23
Thanks! I applied for English and Film, did you apply for just film? It shouldn't be too long now if you haven't heard, A because I've heard with a joint honours course, and B because the 31st deadline is coming up - good luck! :smile:

I applied for Film and French so that's probably why it's taking so long, yeah shouldn't be long anyway!
Reply 44
I applied for Film and French so that's probably why it's taking so long, yeah shouldn't be long anyway!

Fingers crossed! Film and French sounds so interesting, where are your top choices?
One of the best films I ever watched was French, called 'Les Enfants Du Paradis' - have you seen it? :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by catch23
Fingers crossed! Film and French sounds so interesting, where are your top choices?
One of the best films I ever watched was French, called 'Les Enfants Du Paradis' - have you seen it? :smile:

No I haven't yet, just imdb'd it and it sounds interesting, will definitely give it a watch! :smile:
Reply 46
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by catch23
I really loved Bristol when I went, it's spread in the city, so it's really different from the more isolated campus atmosphere in Warwick. The open day little lecture-talk about film was very engaging at Bristol too, I thought.
I haven't been up to St Andrews because its absolutely miles away from where I live! I didn't get to go to Exeter either, I applied there mainly on what friends told me about it. Did you visit - what's it like? :smile:

Ah that's cool. I should definitely go visit.. Yeah, Exeter was a lovely campus.. A bit like Warwick, but a lot of green..it's on a hill kind of.

Btw, I loved Les Enfants du Paradis.. amazing film.

So, why did you choose Film as part of your course? Would you like to go into that industry?
Original post by Gissing

? Did you have something to say?
Reply 49
? Did you have something to say?

I did, in the voice of Cassandra. But if you've made your decisions, it's unfair of me to criticise.
Reply 50
Ah that's cool. I should definitely go visit.. Yeah, Exeter was a lovely campus.. A bit like Warwick, but a lot of green..it's on a hill kind of.

Btw, I loved Les Enfants du Paradis.. amazing film.

So, why did you choose Film as part of your course? Would you like to go into that industry?

ahh ok - I think I'm probably going to insure Warwick and firm Bristol, which I can now finally do because St. Andrews finally got back to me! - have you heard from them today too?

Les Enfants is such a beautiful film, so glad someone else has seen it! I chose Film purely because it really interests me - initially I was going to go for English and Drama but I found that I was really developing an interest in film and eventually came to the realisation that studying it was something I really wanted to peruse, especially after the Bristol open day I went to. I'd love to end up in the film industry but honestly have no idea where I'm going to end up or any idea of what job I will one day be doing! I have always been told that a uni course shouldn't be picked for the career it will lead to but should be chosen in terms of what interests you and what you love - after all, this is three years of our lives we are planning away! :biggrin: what about you? Director/screenwriter of the future? ;p
Original post by catch23
ahh ok - I think I'm probably going to insure Warwick and firm Bristol, which I can now finally do because St. Andrews finally got back to me! - have you heard from them today too?

Les Enfants is such a beautiful film, so glad someone else has seen it! I chose Film purely because it really interests me - initially I was going to go for English and Drama but I found that I was really developing an interest in film and eventually came to the realisation that studying it was something I really wanted to peruse, especially after the Bristol open day I went to. I'd love to end up in the film industry but honestly have no idea where I'm going to end up or any idea of what job I will one day be doing! I have always been told that a uni course shouldn't be picked for the career it will lead to but should be chosen in terms of what interests you and what you love - after all, this is three years of our lives we are planning away! :biggrin: what about you? Director/screenwriter of the future? ;p

Omg yeh I heard from St Andrews today too... They took their time haha. I firmed Warwick, and insured Exeter. But yes, I chose Film and Literature because I realised that I loved both subjects and because I'd like to be a film producer/screenwriter so I thought the subject combination would be great for what I want to do.

Anyway, I so hope that I get the A Level grades.... Good luck with exams! (if you're taking them).
Reply 52
Omg yeh I heard from St Andrews today too... They took their time haha. I firmed Warwick, and insured Exeter. But yes, I chose Film and Literature because I realised that I loved both subjects and because I'd like to be a film producer/screenwriter so I thought the subject combination would be great for what I want to do.

Anyway, I so hope that I get the A Level grades.... Good luck with exams! (if you're taking them).

Haha, I honestly thought they must have lost my application or something, they took forever to reply. Ah that's so exciting, good luck with it all! I wish I knew exactly what I want to do after uni :smile:

I am doing exams this year - need 3 As for Bristol which is going to be tough but I really want to get there, as I'm sure you do Warwick - stay in touch and let me know how it all goes for you yeah? I still think it's really funny how we both had virtually the same applications!
Reply 53
Got an offer! So has anyone firmed Bristol then?
Reply 54
Got an offer! So has anyone firmed Bristol then?

Ah congrats!! I've firmed Bristol - are you thinking of doing the same? :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by catch23
Ah congrats!! I've firmed Bristol - are you thinking of doing the same? :smile:

Yeah I've firmed! Guess if we both see the grades I'll be seeing you in a lecture hall aha :smile: You decided on accommodation yet?
Reply 56
Yeah I've firmed! Guess if we both see the grades I'll be seeing you in a lecture hall aha :smile: You decided on accommodation yet?

This is so exciting, somebody I might actually see! Haha - just got to get the grades now *gulps* I'm probably going catered, have been thinking about badock hall but I'm not sure. What about you?
Reply 57
Original post by catch23
This is so exciting, somebody I might actually see! Haha - just got to get the grades now *gulps* I'm probably going catered, have been thinking about badock hall but I'm not sure. What about you?

Not sure yet, gonna go uncatered but there's just so much choice! Thinking maybe goldney but apparently it's really competitive...
Reply 58
Not sure yet, gonna go uncatered but there's just so much choice! Thinking maybe goldney but apparently it's really competitive...

I heard that too - one of my friends sent me an email describing lots of the residences and stuff (from Bristol) - I can message it to you if you'd like?
Reply 59
Original post by catch23
I heard that too - one of my friends sent me an email describing lots of the residences and stuff (from Bristol) - I can message it to you if you'd like?

That'd be super helpful actually, cheers! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending