The Student Room Group

My University Offer is Too High

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by returnmigrant
I echo most of what has been said above about aiming far too high and now whining that you've got an offer you knew (and your teachers knew) you never had any chance of reaching.

I just hope your other 4 choices were more realistic. If not, its going to be a very miserable Results Day isn't it?

Ha, nothing new there if I'm honest. Way I see it now is I've messed up and I can either bitch about it or put it as my firm and see what happens. Hopefully Hull will offer me 300 UCAS points (typical offer 280-320 so I don't know for sure what'll happen) and they'll make for a good insurence.
As others have said the lower offer is for candidates they prefer or those with extenuating circumstances.

The title of this thread is misleading as they offered you their typical offer, I was assuming that they'd offered you at least one or two grades above their typical offer and even then it's the university's choice to give you any offer they like from EE to A*A*A* irrespective of what they state their typical offer is.
In the light of this person's realisation that bumping your grade predictions up and applying to courses outside your reach is a particular pointless tactic, anyone who has yet to submit their UCAS application should now look very long and hard at their choices, and think very carefully about the hard reality of any 'risky' choices.
In the light of this person's realisation that bumping your grade predictions up and applying to courses outside your reach is a particular pointless tactic, anyone who has yet to submit their UCAS application should now look very long and hard at their choices, and think very carefully about the hard reality of any 'risky' choices.

I really think an advisory sticky is called for.
Reply 24
Original post by x__justmyluck
As others have said the lower offer is for candidates they prefer or those with extenuating circumstances.

The title of this thread is misleading as they offered you their typical offer, I was assuming that they'd offered you at least one or two grades above their typical offer and even then it's the university's choice to give you any offer they like from EE to A*A*A* irrespective of what they state their typical offer is.

Sorry I meant it was too high for me. My bad.
Reply 25
Well honestly, thank you guys. Though I won't be taking your advice entirely i.e. I'm still gonna try and get the grades by working my butt off; you guys making me realise this is my fault kind of hurt but now I'm just more determined to get the grades. I did it to myself, now I might as well try and get what I want. Obviously I will be putting a uni with lower grade boundries for my insurence, probably BBB- I know it sounds unrealistic given my AS grades but I can assure you I actually think this is within my reach. Not easy to get, but if I was going for one of my easy choices I probably wouldn't be happy with it.
Reply 26
The high likelihood is that you'll get a place anyway, even if you miss out on a grade, and achieve ABB. Why? Because most courses go into clearing, and accept offers below. If you have ABB you'll still lie within the realm of their standard offer, so if they're a course which goes into clearing you'll most likely be fine.

Obviously this can't be certified, so if you're willing to do that, obviously chose an insurance, which is both attainable for you and is at a uni you'll be happy spending 3 years at.

But, I feel quite confident that if you miss out on one grade, you're still likely to get a place. I applied to study psychology (a very competitive subject) at Cardiff with A*AC with plans to resit the C during my gap year and obtain a B. The standard offer for my course is AAA/AAB, so I thought I'll definitely be alright, I was even reassured that by an email from them. However, when my offer came they wanted an A in my resit, which brings my grades to A*AA (above even their highest standard offer). I knew that was completely unattainable for me, because even though a B would have been fairly easy for me to obtain, 'cause I was only a few marks off, an A would have meant a ridiculously high mark in the exam. So I ended up obviously with A*AB. I still got in, and they then went on to accept clearance applicants with ABB. So in short, if you're willing to take a risk like I did, then go for it!!

I'd also like to add, I think the risk is worth it. You're spending 3 years doing a degree in a university and place of your choosing. You need to make sure you damn well enjoy it, it's imperative for your happiness and success. So I think it's worth the risk, worst case scenario you don't get in, and end up not wanting your insurance, you apply through clearing or take a gap year. Trust me, the gap year goes veeerry quickly and is a really nice break from education!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
My guess is if you achieve ABB, they would still let you onto the course. If you applied to a course asking for BBB or less, I would encourage you to put that as your firm. If you believe that the ABB is achievable, which I think it is, despite your situation, put Kent as your firm.
Original post by pandabird
Because most courses go into clearing, and accept offers below.

No they don't.
And no they don't.
Original post by firmfrank
My guess is if you achieve ABB, they would still let you onto the course.

Since you have no knowledge of how this or any other University will make decisions on Results Day, this is very silly and highly misleading advice.
Reply 30
No they don't.
And no they don't.

Most courses who enter clearing offer lower grades than their standard offer. 100%.
Most courses who enter clearing offer lower grades than their standard offer. 100%.

No they don't.

Before this escalates into a yes/no slanging match, you should know that returnmigrant is a university admissions tutor.
Reply 33
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Before this escalates into a yes/no slanging match, you should know that returnmigrant is a university admissions tutor.

So therefore he has a complete knowledge of every universitys' clearing procedure? :rolleyes: I've just done a quick google search and every result said universities usually lower requirements during clearing. Every university I can think of lowered their offers during clearing from 2011 and 2012.

And even if she doesn't get accepted, what's the worst outcome? I think the benefit outweighs the risk greatly, in order to succeed in life, you need to not be so rigid and take a risk.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
Well this is all very depressing lol.
So therefore he has a complete knowledge of every universitys' clearing procedure? :rolleyes: I've just done a quick google search and every result said universities usually lower requirements during clearing. Every university I can think of lowered their offers during clearing from 2011 and 2012.

Well, I think s/he probably has a rather better knowledge base than just 'Every university I can think of lowered their offers during clearing from 2011 and 2012', which is hardly scientific evidence.
I guess there's no harm in asking but I seriously doubt they will lower their offer even with a valid reason ("I can't do it" is not valid I'm afraid).

Also, I know this is a serious issue for you, but the title made me instantly think of this...

Reply 37
Original post by TheGuy117
I guess there's no harm in asking but I seriously doubt they will lower their offer even with a valid reason ("I can't do it" is not valid I'm afraid).

Also, I know this is a serious issue for you, but the title made me instantly think of this...

See this is called telling me how it is in a very hilarious fashion. You sir, are awesome :smile:
Reply 38
OK why don't we just agree I'll stop being so sad about it and just work for them grades? I don't like it when my threads to turn into a little war. Stop the violeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeence.
Reply 39
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Well, I think s/he probably has a rather better knowledge base than just 'Every university I can think of lowered their offers during clearing from 2011 and 2012', which is hardly scientific evidence.

I don't think saying 'no they don't' really qualifies for scientific evidence either...

From my perspective and experience with TSR during my application process, I find the 'advisers' on here too rigid and pedantic. Like I said, taking a slight risk is not so abominable as it's often made out.

Forget about it now, it doesn't really matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending