The Student Room Group

Leaving lines between paragraphs

I can only find conflicting sources on this. Do we have to leave a blank line between each paragraph on UCAS?

If I do this I am 2 lines over the limit. If I don't I am 4 lines under.

Cheers!
You can cut two lines by rephrasing stuff, and it will make your statement much easier to read. This means that the admissions tutor will be less likely to skim over parts of your statement and will be more likely to pay attention to the content. Admissions tutors often have lots of statements to read in large batches so anything that makes your statement easier to read is a good idea.
Hmm I agree, managed to cut a few words out and bring it under the limit. Looks loads neater with the gaps!

Cheers :smile:
If necessary, can't you use // or something to signify a new paragraph?
Original post by Seathestars

Not only is this very difficult to look at and highly unprofessional, the formatting on the Ucas form doesn't allow the use of /.

As said, a / won't show up on a UCAS statement.

Also, this is isn't appropriate formatting for a formal piece of writing, and it won't help with the issue that someone skimming over your statement is much more likely to miss information in the middle of it.
I did it at GCSE
So I guess its cool
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Not only is this very difficult to look at and highly unprofessional, the formatting on the Ucas form doesn't allow the use of /.

Agreed, which is why I said necessary. Doesn't matter anyway if you can't use the symbol.
Agreed, which is why I said necessary. Doesn't matter anyway if you can't use the symbol.

It would never be necessary. There's always a way round.
Reply 9
I've used a / in my personal statement and when I printed it after sending it off, it shows up. I don't know if it will disappear or not once it's sent to UCAS. Should I get my college to bounce it back so I can change it?
Original post by suleyman95
I've used a / in my personal statement and when I printed it after sending it off, it shows up. I don't know if it will disappear or not once it's sent to UCAS. Should I get my college to bounce it back so I can change it?

Yes. It has no place in a ps in any case.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It would never be necessary. There's always a way round.

Yeah probably, it was just a suggestion that wasn't great in hindsight and isn't applicable anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending