The Student Room Group

Volunteering in Somaliland

Has anyone here ever been volunteering in East Africa before? I would love to volunteer for the Edna Adan University Hospital after I graduate next year, but there are several things I need to get straight.

How do I actually get there? Even knowing which airlines fly to Hargeisa/Berbera doesn't seem to help much as flights are so few and far between. Google maps suggests that I drive though parts of Syria, Saudi Arabia and Sudan, which is most definitely not happening. If anyone knows of a travel agents which deals with organising such trips, that would be really helpful. Online flight booking sites suck at it.

I don't suppose anyone knows roughly how much the hospital charge to cover living costs? I have emailed them, but have not had a response yet. It would be useful to know, since then I know how much I should be aiming to save.

I am not sure exactly how modestly I would be expected to dress, being foreign-looking and non-muslim. Obviously a headscarf should be worn (I'm a girl) and nothing that reveals the shape of my legs. Some of the outfits on this Turkish site look nice http://www.modanisa.com , but I'm not sure if Somaliland is too conservative of a place even for these. They definitely wouldn't cut it in Saudi Arabia.

If anyone has any other advice to offer it would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by BreakingBald
Has anyone here ever been volunteering in East Africa before? I would love to volunteer for the Edna Adan University Hospital after I graduate next year, but there are several things I need to get straight.

How do I actually get there? Even knowing which airlines fly to Hargeisa/Berbera doesn't seem to help much as flights are so few and far between. Google maps suggests that I drive though parts of Syria, Saudi Arabia and Sudan, which is most definitely not happening. If anyone knows of a travel agents which deals with organising such trips, that would be really helpful. Online flight booking sites suck at it.

I don't suppose anyone knows roughly how much the hospital charge to cover living costs? I have emailed them, but have not had a response yet. It would be useful to know, since then I know how much I should be aiming to save.

I am not sure exactly how modestly I would be expected to dress, being foreign-looking and non-muslim. Obviously a headscarf should be worn (I'm a girl) and nothing that reveals the shape of my legs. Some of the outfits on this Turkish site look nice http://www.modanisa.com , but I'm not sure if Somaliland is too conservative of a place even for these. They definitely wouldn't cut it in Saudi Arabia.

Hey, I went volunteering in East Africa this summer but in Kenya and not Somalia! I think best thing would be to call them directly if you can find their number because before I went Kenya no one replied to me by email and I had to call up directly. I definitely had a worth while experience! In regards to clothing Somali land is probably more accepting than Somalia so I don't think you will necessarily be obliged to cover your head (I could be wrong) just wearing baggy clothes and not dressing immodestly will do there. There has been a lot of Somalilanders from around the world returning home as their country is peaceful now, so there will be Somalis who have seen the outside world!

Best of luck :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by #afital
Hey, I went volunteering in East Africa this summer but in Kenya and not Somalia! I think best thing would be to call them directly if you can find their number because before I went Kenya no one replied to me by email and I had to call up directly. I definitely had a worth while experience! In regards to clothing Somali land is probably more accepting than Somalia so I don't think you will necessarily be obliged to cover your head (I could be wrong) just wearing baggy clothes and not dressing immodestly will do there. There has been a lot of Somalilanders from around the world returning home as their country is peaceful now, so there will be Somalis who have seen the outside world!

Best of luck :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: That's really helpful. I hadn't even considered phoning them directly, seems so obvious now! I know there are a lot of Somalis who now go back and forth to Somaliland, I'm just trying to work out how they organise their trips since none of the sites I've visited seem to be very useful.

If you don't mind me asking, how long were you in Kenya for and roughly how much did the trip cost overall?

Cheers again :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Hello. You can travel from Dubai to Berbera airport. What ethinicity are you if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 4
Original post by Kwan
Hello. You can travel from Dubai to Berbera airport. What ethinicity are you if you don't mind me asking?

I heard that there are flights from Dubai, but I'm having real difficulty in actually finding the flights I want. Even the flight companies' websites aren't usually that helpful.

I'm white, so no clan connections so to speak.
Reply 5
Yes from Dubai to Berbera or Dubai to Djibouti then to Berbera which is very near it. Some of the planes
that operate between those areas are called Daalo, African express and many more. You can also take
a direct flight from your city to Ethiopia Addis Ababa airport then a car to Jigjiga after that use a car for
30 minutes driving to cross to the Somaliland border. All those alternatives are open. Lol clan connections
, I guess you're aware the role tribal links play in Somali society.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Thank you :smile: That's really helpful. I hadn't even considered phoning them directly, seems so obvious now! I know there are a lot of Somalis who now go back and forth to Somaliland, I'm just trying to work out how they organise their trips since none of the sites I've visited seem to be very useful.

If you don't mind me asking, how long were you in Kenya for and roughly how much did the trip cost overall?

Cheers again :smile:

That's okay, well because I went during the summer which was high tourism season my ticket itself cost £765 to Nairobi and had to pay another £100 for flight from Nairobi to Mombasa, whilst I was volunteering I stayed at a hotel and I spent around £30 a day on food hotel and what not(off coarse I did not stay at the most poshest hotel, just something practical) but then after that I had a friend fly in who has a house out there and I stayed with him the rest of the time! Be prepared to spend a lot!
Have fun! And try learn some somali words before you go, it'll go a loong way!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Daallo have (in theory) an online booking facility. It would be simplest to book a flight to Dubai or Nairobi with Emirates/BA/Kenyan etc and then pick up your onward flight from there (leaving enough time for a connection). The most knowledgeable travel agents are likely to be in areas with a large Somali community.

A friend went to Somaliland on holiday last year, I know he flew to Addis Ababa and then travelled from there overland- this seems to be quite a common route in (and cheaper than flying).

Would be interested to know if you make it there as volunteering/holiday in Somaliland is on my list of things to do. Just be aware that your travel insurance is likely to be void while there.
Reply 8
Original post by #afital
That's okay, well because I went during the summer which was high tourism season my ticket itself cost £765 to Nairobi and had to pay another £100 for flight from Nairobi to Mombasa, whilst I was volunteering I stayed at a hotel and I spent around £30 a day on food hotel and what not(off coarse I did not stay at the most poshest hotel, just something practical) but then after that I had a friend fly in who has a house out there and I stayed with him the rest of the time! Be prepared to spend a lot!
Have fun! And try learn some somali words before you go, it'll go a loong way!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :smile: Calling the hospital like you suggested eventually worked (4th number lucky and very poor signal) and I was given Edna Adan's email address. The second number I tried got through, but the person who picked up just started frantically shouting "ENGLISH!!!" and hung up.

I've managed to find more info and it turns out that the prices are somewhat similar. I've made a start on the Somali words and tried a few of them out on an Ethiopian girl who knows some Somali. Apparently I sound Japanese when I speak it..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
To anyone else who may be interested in volunteering at the hospital, I have been told by Edna that they charge 30 USD (£18.44) per day which pays for all food and other living expenses. Ethiopian Airlines are doing flights from London to Hargeisa and Berbera again which seem to range between £650-ish to slightly over a grand depending on availability/season (http://www.ethiopianairlines.com/)

Travel insurance is expensive since Somaliland is still considered to be a part of Somalia and is on the UK Travel Advice no go list. One company you can get insurance with is Frontier Travel Insurance (http://www.frontiertravelinsurance.com) where the minimum cost of insurance for a 3 month stay is just under £200, whereas maximum cover is £920 (includes cover for kidnap and ransom. Chances are it won't be needed.)

Thanks to all of you who have answered so far. It's been really helpful!
Reply 10
You want to go to Somaliland, travelling through Syria, Saudi Arabia and Sudan? Why not cut out the middle-man and honour kill yourself?
Original post by Skip_Snip
You want to go to Somaliland, travelling through Syria, Saudi Arabia and Sudan? Why not cut out the middle-man and honour kill yourself?

What part of the original post where she says 'which is definitely not happening' did you not understand?
Reply 12
Original post by standreams
What part of the original post where she says 'which is definitely not happening' did you not understand?

Ha, s'what I get for skim reading :tongue:
Original post by Skip_Snip
Ha, s'what I get for skim reading :tongue:

Incidentally, if she were to go to any of those places then the chances of her being honour killed would be next to zero. 'Honour killing' refers to family members killing one of their (usually female) relatives to defend family reputation. So, unless she changes her mind, travels to one of those places AND brings her murderous, angry male relatives along, it's unlikely to happen.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey guys, I'm currently on a gap year before going uni next year. Going Somaliland in december to live with one of my parents so wanted to know if there are any volunteering things (other than edna)there for someone who only has alevels??? My somali speaking skills are not great btw.
did you end up going to Somaliland? I would love to know how it went as I am considering volunteering there as well :smile:
For ****s sake dont get a cruise there...

Sorry heineken...I am new here

Hi there, my family and I are from Somaliland, here are some ticket booking examples that go from London. Mostly, it usually is just from Heathrow to Ethiopia briefly stop and then a flight to Hargeisa from there.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=london+to+hargeisa&rlz=1C1GGRV_enGB783GB783&oq=london+to+hargeisa&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.11195j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you need anymore help with finding resources and help organizing your trip, feel free to PM me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending