The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by dasul
I've got an email along with the questionnaire (round one) and I'm finding it very difficult to answer at all, whilst i've worked with people in a few projects and so forth, I don't really have any idea what sort of challenges would be appropriate for the question (name a situation and then below how you solved it). If it's cheating to ask for examples then don't, but could anybody drop me a few pointers for them
(this is for Nottingham)
Thank you ^_^

Hi,

I also applied or Nottingham and found this two-part question by the far the hardest to answer!

I used an annual event at school which I helped to organise which went wrong one year, and then what we learned from it and changed to make sure it went better the following year.

Really don't know if that's what they're looking for, but I made it through to the Assessment Centre and have been offered a place!

Good luck - hope you get through!
Reply 81
How long does it take after the assessment day to get an offer/rejection??
Original post by Indigo811
How long does it take after the assessment day to get an offer/rejection??

Reading gave me an offer 2 hours after, and Nottingham 2-3 days.

I don't know about Newcastle though.

:smile:
Original post by Dilzz
Hey, out of interest do you think the questions asked in the interview will be the same for both Reading and Nottingham?

EXACTLY the same! :smile: (Except Nottingham was more pushy about getting detailed answers)
Can I ask, how many people where in the group for the group interview activity?
Reply 85
Original post by sunitab
I know how you feel!! Ah yeah me too, mine's on the 21st. Where are you from?

I'm just going to wear either a smart shirt tucked into a smart skirt with a blazer or a formal black dress.

Anyway.. forget the dress code!!

From what I've heard about the assessment day:
Alot of the interview is example led, so it's a good idea to prepare ourselves with potential questions and answers.
The group exercise - participate, not too much - not too little.
& I haven't heard much with regards to the numerical and verbal reasoning tests!

Preparation and confidence is key I suppose! Quite nervous still!!

I'm from Liverpool, what about you? I'm the same I've got a skirt and blazer to wear with a blouse. Apparently they ask you to discuss a recent article you've read but thats so vague, do they mean a business/finance article or a general article from the paper.

I've done some practice numerical tests but no verbal tests and they're quite hard but I'm wondering are we allowed a calculator while we're doing them or do we have to do it mentally.
Getting very nervous as the day gets nearer!!
Reply 86
Original post by KForshaw
We were in a small group of 6 in a small room. You get given a case study, (for us it was a Palm Oil company) and don't need any outside knowledge you just use whats given to you. Then we were given 20 minutes to prepare individually which wasn't too bad. We basically each had our own document that had a certain method of making the company more environmentally friendly. So you sit there in silence and basically jot down the important points from the document onto a sheet of paper so that you can present your case when the twenty minutes is up. Go round the table methodically, one person presenting a case at a time, and take notes of other peoples. Then you can either discuss the pro's and con's in-between each one or do it at the end but BE SURE to keep track of time, its tight.

Key thing is teamwork, if there are flaws in what you are supposed to present, i.e. the method is expensive or time consuming, then say that and openly admit it. You're not expected to fight your corner, just have to come to a group conclusion. Get everyone involved, stay focused and chip in.

Don't speak too much, but not too little :smile:

So we basically have to outline what the sheet says and then discuss the pros and cons to each point as a team? Do you have to come to a final agreement for example do you all have to agree which solution would be best to make it environmentally friendly or is it just pros and cons.

If they decide not to accept you onto the course do nottingham or the other universities offer you a normal accounting course?
Thanks so much for your help :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by Doz123
So we basically have to outline what the sheet says and then discuss the pros and cons to each point as a team? Do you have to come to a final agreement for example do you all have to agree which solution would be best to make it environmentally friendly or is it just pros and cons.

If they decide not to accept you onto the course do nottingham or the other universities offer you a normal accounting course?
Thanks so much for your help :smile:

Yeah basically, each person is given a strategy to sum up, then you kind of discuss the pros and cons as a team. That's what happened with me anyway and I think most AC's are similar! Umm yeah you should try and come to a conclusion, so keep an eye on time and if you aren't coming to a conclusion by the last 5 mins try and hurry things along. However if you are undecided at the end it doesn't matter too much, but just make sure you at least put good teamwork into trying to come to a conclusion because that's the main thing, there isn't a right or wrong answer. And yes I think they do, from what I have seen if you get an interview, that means that they like you quite a lot so at minimum they want you on a standard course and if you impress they will give you an offer onto the PWC one! Its okay, good luck! :smile:
Did you guys take notes into the interview?
Reply 89
Original post by winniestar57
Did you guys take notes into the interview?

I did, but I didn't refer to them until the interviewer asked at the end if I had any questions for her. I didn't feel or think it was necessary to refer to them throughout the actual interview though.

I'm not sure if anyone else did!
Reply 90
Hi,
I'm an international student and I'm going to do the interview for newcastle through Skype. I'm really stressed and would appreciate any advice. Anyone else doing the interview through Skype ???
Reply 91
Original post by Josie1994
Until you have qualified there is no opportunity really to transferrred, however the regional offices do get sent around the country on away jobs. Once you have fully qualified which is about a year after you graduate it is a lot more open and more free to move around. If you're looking to go abroad scotland provides the most opportunity as they do many oil and mining which are generally based in america. Note it is a lot easier to move into london than out as london is short staffed whereas regionals aren't, however they're still some thats easier for example leeds is very understaffed so even though i'm based in London I could move there quite easily. As long as you have good reason PWC are normally very accomodating.

I have to say I love the course, It's very well structured as we were the tenth year of intake and placements give you a break from university but you're also always working because its during busy season unlike when you take a year out. The course is very tight knit so they're always older years who will look after you, for example for the first years in my office I would never let anything happen to them. The course becomes like a family to you as theres only 50 people and its really nice to be apart of- hope this helps :smile:

Out of London offices, which one is the hardest to get into? How hard is it to get into London top tier and what does London top tier entail minus working with FTSE 100 company? Thanks
Reply 92
Original post by *insertusername*
Reading gave me an offer 2 hours after, and Nottingham 2-3 days.

I don't know about Newcastle though.

:smile:

I am an international student and was invited to the AC by reading. I would like to know the percentage of people who attended the AC get the offer? I want to c whether it worth to fly there and attend the AC or just do it online.xD :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by jones2596
How many questions did you get asked in your interview at Nottingham? Was it literally just 1 question for each competency? Any advice would be much appreciated :smile:

I think you've been given more than enough information. You have a massive advantage over all the other applicants which is already unfair enough.
Original post by Louise1995
I am an international student and was invited to the AC by reading. I would like to know the percentage of people who attended the AC get the offer? I want to c whether it worth to fly there and attend the AC or just do it online.xD :smile:

Depends how far away you live / how much PwC is willing to cover your costs. If you really want this then I would defo fly over to give yourself the best chance possible. Having said that, a skype interview sounds cool.

I honestly have no clue how many people get an offer, but I know a few people who've been rejected, so quite a few must have been turned down.

Good luck though! :smile:
Reply 95
Depends how far away you live / how much PwC is willing to cover your costs. If you really want this then I would defo fly over to give yourself the best chance possible. Having said that, a skype interview sounds cool.

I honestly have no clue how many people get an offer, but I know a few people who've been rejected, so quite a few must have been turned down.

Good luck though! :smile:

How many people was invited to the AC same as you? Do you have any tips for passing all those tests and interviews? I'm still thinking whether to go or not.

thank you.:smile:
Original post by F10THU
Out of London offices, which one is the hardest to get into? How hard is it to get into London top tier and what does London top tier entail minus working with FTSE 100 company? Thanks

Hi sorry I took so long to get back to you, have just finished my placement and straight back into university. Well I am in Top tier so not too hard I guess! application for london vary year of year just take the application for offices seriously and present a good business case both for you and pwc. Eg I have worked in an accountancy firm before so knew I didn't want to be on small clients but larger internationals, London is closer to home for me as I live far south etc.
Reply 97
I failed at the interview :frown: I was really nervous and even through I was prepared got some memory blanks. Anyway I got an unconditional offer for accounting and finance.

Hope you guys got your offers. See you ther :wink:
I applied for the one at Nottingham and Reading. had my Reading AC on 4th and got an offer that evening. Now just waiting for the AC at Nottingham on the 17th. Good luck to everyone applying!! :smile:

Hey
I got an Assessment day at reading and just wanted to know how was ur day structured and how hard was the test and what topics they asked u about in the group exercises and interview. Any tips will be really helpful.
Thankyou
Reply 99
can you apply for Nottingham and Newcastle?