The Student Room Group

2014 Summer Abroad in America/New Zealand

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could give me ideas on summer work experience in America/New Zealand, or anywhere similar. I was looking into doing Camp America but I feel like 13 weeks is far too long, I'm much more interested in something around 1 month in length. Something similar to Camp America would be ideal, since I enjoy working with children and the course is specified to individual interests/hobbies (mine being music). I study Biological Sciences at the University of Exeter, so suggestions related to biology/conservation would also be great. I've been doing quite a bit of research but have still not found anything shorter than 10 weeks, so any suggestions would be great! Thanks a lot.
Reply 1
Hi, Camp is great - I have done it a few times and loved it - but yes giving up at least 8 weeks is a big commitment - I know BUNAC does some conservation stuff, I went with them to camp and they were great. I believe there are short term projects in America doing conservation - I looked into those two before deciding on camp - I believe they are in the Grand Canyon and Cataline Island amongst other places and are either really short ie a couple of weeks or longer. They also do shorter conservation trips to south africa, my friend went to help with Lions! Sounded like such a cool trip :smile: Good luck finding something fun to do!
Reply 2
Original post by eizymusic
Hi, Camp is great - I have done it a few times and loved it - but yes giving up at least 8 weeks is a big commitment - I know BUNAC does some conservation stuff, I went with them to camp and they were great. I believe there are short term projects in America doing conservation - I looked into those two before deciding on camp - I believe they are in the Grand Canyon and Cataline Island amongst other places and are either really short ie a couple of weeks or longer. They also do shorter conservation trips to south africa, my friend went to help with Lions! Sounded like such a cool trip :smile: Good luck finding something fun to do!

I'm looking to do the conservation project in California in May So have was just wondering.. was the volunteer project hard work ? Did you get a lot of free time? What were the other people you were grouped with like were they BUNAC'rs?

Sorry for all the questions haha.
Reply 3
Sorry for the delayed reply - I don't get on here much! I haven't done a volunteer project myself - but I imagine there is a great sense of comradery within the group - I have done a number of group travel holidays and my favourite part of the day was always hanging out by the campfire in the evening! I would give BUNAC a call - they have a ringback system (to help save your bill!) and were great anytime I called them to ask questions :smile: Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest