The Student Room Group

Road bike, Verenti Insight Ultegra - 2013 - should I buy it?

Someone is selling http://www.wiggle.com/verenti-insight-ultegra-2013/ and I can get it for about £700-£750 secondhand. The bike is 3 months old and has only done 200 miles. Is this a good deal?
Reply 1
Looks like a solid bike, can't go wrong with shimano groupset, especially Ultegra.

One thing to look at carefully with 2nd hand carbon bikes... make sure that there are no cracks/any sign of damage, because when carbon fails, it fails badly, not good!
Take someone who has had experience with carbon bikes and knows what to look for as it can often be difficult to find signs of damage. Any stickers or paint that looks out of place is likely to be covering something...
Reply 2
Original post by Rugby234
Looks like a solid bike, can't go wrong with shimano groupset, especially Ultegra.

One thing to look at carefully with 2nd hand carbon bikes... make sure that there are no cracks/any sign of damage, because when carbon fails, it fails badly, not good!
Take someone who has had experience with carbon bikes and knows what to look for as it can often be difficult to find signs of damage. Any stickers or paint that looks out of place is likely to be covering something...

Thanks a lot! :smile:
I wouldn't buy anything carbon second hand. This is because you can't always see the damage to carbon and as you probably don't know the exact history of the bike then I would avoid it and buy one new. If you do decide to buy it ask if you can take it to a bike shop to get them to check it out before you give any money over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MattBerry96
I wouldn't buy anything carbon second hand. This is because you can't always see the damage to carbon and as you probably don't know the exact history of the bike then I would avoid it and buy one new. If you do decide to buy it ask if you can take it to a bike shop to get them to check it out before you give any money over.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it's 3 months old and has done 200 miles. As long as I can't find any damage, would you not think it's safe?
Reply 5
Original post by RobertWhite
Thanks a lot! :smile:

No worries, if you need any more help then ask away, or pm in the future.

Do be wary of 2nd hand carbon parts/bikes, find out why it is that he's selling it. If you decide to look elsewhere, there are loads of decent alloy road bikes out there, so it's worth a look, especially as the weight benefit of carbon is so negligible if you're not a competitive rider!
I know it's 3 months old and has done 200 miles. As long as I can't find any damage, would you not think it's safe?

It could have been knocked or he could have crashed. If he hasn't then still get it checked out at a bike shop as the last thing you want is the frame failing you having a really bad accident and wasting money. Also make sure the bike fits you - you could spend £15,000 but if it is a rubbish fit your going to be quicker on a £500 bike.
Looks like a nice bike.
Reply 8
Thanks for all the comments guys - one more thing.

How 'aggressive' is this bike? My last bike was a Merida Road Race HFS-905 2010 http://merida-bikes.com/fr_ch/bike/2010/189/Road+Bike/Road+Race+HFS+905-com Is this bike going to be more comfortable?
Reply 9
Thanks for all the comments guys - one more thing.

How 'aggressive' is this bike? My last bike was a Merida Road Race HFS-905 2010 http://merida-bikes.com/fr_ch/bike/2010/189/Road+Bike/Road+Race+HFS+905-com Is this bike going to be more comfortable?

Have you looked and compared the geometry of the two? A more 'aggressive' bike will have tighter angles, and probably a little shorter.

What sort of riding are you going to be doing? Also, as said above do make sure the bike fits you, riding a bike that isn't the right size is awful! Especially if you intend on putting a few miles in. There is no standard size with road bikes, a 58cm Trek would be different to a 58cm Specialized (or other make).
Reply 10
Original post by Rugby234
Have you looked and compared the geometry of the two? A more 'aggressive' bike will have tighter angles, and probably a little shorter.

What sort of riding are you going to be doing? Also, as said above do make sure the bike fits you, riding a bike that isn't the right size is awful! Especially if you intend on putting a few miles in. There is no standard size with road bikes, a 58cm Trek would be different to a 58cm Specialized (or other make).

Apart from the frame being the right size, what else will entail the bike doesn't fit me?
Reply 11
Apart from the frame being the right size, what else will entail the bike doesn't fit me?

Well, the main things are the seat and top tube lengths, everything else can be changed. Go into a decent bike shop (Not halfords etc) and talk to them about what size bike you need, should give you a good idea.

saddle position, saddle height, stem length, stem height, handlebar angle, cleat position

Quick Reply

Latest