The Student Room Group

Israel may join EU nuclear research group CERN

Poll

Should Israel get in?

Israel requires a unanimous vote from all 20 members and will be the only non-European member if it does get in.
Apparently the Israelis are very optimistic that they're going to get in...
Wishful thinking or what? After creating that awful row over Iran's nuclear ambitions, they don't seriously expect to be let off easily when it comes to their nuclear ambitions, do they?
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.557492

Scroll to see replies

Iran's nuclear programme is a thinly veiled attempt at a weapons programme. CERN research isn't based on nuclear weopons and I'm struggling to see how their activities can even be weaponised.

I can actually see Israel being let in. The work that CERN does is rather important for a better understanding of Physics and research into a more sustainable method of generating power, and funding is always an issue.

Israel get to enter the Eurovision song contest as well.
Reply 2
Given the level of academic achievement Israel has they will be a welcome contributor to CERN.
If it strengthens EU/Israel alliances and constitutes more protection for Israel in any way what so ever, then yes I hope they are allowed to join.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by originaltitle
Israel requires a unanimous vote from all 20 members and will be the only non-European member if it does get in.
Wishful thinking or what? After creating that awful row over Iran's nuclear ambitions, they don't seriously expect to be let off easily when it comes to their nuclear ambitions, do they?

Well, they already have a nuclear bomb, so I don't think they have many nuclear ambitions left.

I doubt this is anything but an academic endeavour.
Reply 5
Original post by PopaPork
Given the level of academic achievement Israel has they will be a welcome contributor to CERN.

Israel's achievements have been at the expense of other nations' achievements, and that's hardly a thing to gloat over.
Israel's achievements have been at the expense of other nations' achievements, and that's hardly a thing to gloat over.

You'll have to explain that one to us.
Reply 7
For Science!

Yeah, I don't see any reason why not. Israel has a lot of technical knowledge, expertise, scientists and engineers that could be put to good use on for the betterment of Science.
Reply 8

No Not really

Those who belong to the Jewish faith (sorry for the generalization here) have always been high contributors to sciences, arts etc...

this didn't just start when they created Israel it has simply continued

so why on earth would one of the leading scientific endeavors want to exclude those who have a high aptitude for science?

Sorry but your attitude just smacks of envy and a very myopic view of history and scientific endeavor (there's a reason why they have won about 200 Nobel prizes).
I can tell no one on this tread studies science or is remotely associated with it. Please don't bring politics into any discussion where science is involved. Scientific collaboration should be always separate from the politics of the day.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by MatureStudent36
Iran's nuclear programme is a thinly veiled attempt at a weapons programme. CERN research isn't based on nuclear weopons and I'm struggling to see how their activities can even be weaponised.

I can actually see Israel being let in. The work that CERN does is rather important for a better understanding of Physics and research into a more sustainable method of generating power, and funding is always an issue.

Israel get to enter the Eurovision song contest as well.

Agreed.

True and it's worth noting the following..

Various Israeli ministers have expressed that they would like to see Israel in the EU. Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, who visited Israel in February 2010, said that his "greatest desire" was to see Israel join the European Union.

If the Palestine issue is ever sorted it might not be a bad bet.

Israel already has nuclear weapons and is culturally a stable western democracy, i'd consider it pretty poor form if they were not allowed in although the number of agreements it has with the EU suggests this won't be a problem.
Original post by Rakas21
Agreed.

True and it's worth noting the following..

If the Palestine issue is ever sorted it might not be a bad bet.

Israel already has nuclear weapons and is culturally a stable western democracy, i'd consider it pretty poor form if they were not allowed in although the number of agreements it has with the EU suggests this won't be a problem.

It is believed that Isreal has Nuclear weapons. They have neither confirmed nor denied it. Also it should be noted that Isreal is not a signature to the Nuclear non proliferation treaty.
Reply 12
Original post by MatureStudent36
It is believed that Isreal has Nuclear weapons. They have neither confirmed nor denied it. Also it should be noted that Isreal is not a signature to the Nuclear non proliferation treaty.

When it comes to nuclear weapons i'm deeply suspicious, especially since not all soveiet-fall nukes are accounted for.

It would not suprise me in the slightest if Israel, Saudi Arabia and some of the none EU eastern block countries like Ukraine still had such weapons.
Original post by Rakas21
When it comes to nuclear weapons i'm deeply suspicious, especially since not all soveiet-fall nukes are accounted for.

It would not suprise me in the slightest if Israel, Saudi Arabia and some of the none EU eastern block countries like Ukraine still had such weapons.

All indications are that Israel does have them, but thankfully CERN isn't involved in weapons development.
Reply 14

Indeed. Maybe they could share some of their information on nuclear weaponry.
Reply 15
Original post by Kiss
Indeed. Maybe they could share some of their information on nuclear weaponry.

Why would they:biggrin:

those who are bright enough to work it out for themselves already have them

Perhaps that should be the deciding factor

if you can't work out how to do this on your own then you really shouldn't have them
Reply 16
I don't think you know what CERN do. They definitely do not produce nuclear weapons.
If israel is willing to provide money to the cause of science, I'm willing to let them. Their shady foreign policy shouldn't affect this.
Democratic, peaceful nations have the right to possess WMD, fascist dictatorships don't.

What is difficult about this concept?
Why would they:biggrin:

those who are bright enough to work it out for themselves already have them

Perhaps that should be the deciding factor

if you can't work out how to do this on your own then you really shouldn't have them

Unfortunately it is possible to be both clever and very dangerous.
Reply 19
Original post by felamaslen
Unfortunately it is possible to be both clever and very dangerous.

True

but better clever and dangerous than backward and dangerous and armed with nuclear weapons:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending