The Student Room Group

Cropped dog UK?

We used to have one back when in the states where I grew up as a child and thinking of getting another one here, love their personality. Problem is I much prefer the cropped ears look and it seems there is a ban here. Tail not so bothered about but would rather have the breed's standard i.e cropped and docked.

How can I have one here like this? A vet would never do it here? Importing from America seems expensive, are there other places in europe where it's legal to do this like east europe?

edit-Just to add I have nothing against the natural look but it's unfortunate that the option to choose is gone here. In America most will buy the cropped/docked, hardly any naturals.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Col. Hans Landa
We used to have one back when in the states where I grew up as a child and thinking of getting another one here, love their personality. Problem is I much prefer the cropped ears look and it seems there is a ban here. Tail not so bothered about but would rather have the breed's standard i.e cropped and docked.

How can I have one here like this? A vet would never do it here? Importing from America seems expensive, are there other places in europe where it's legal to do this like east europe?

edit-Just to add I have nothing against the natural look but it's unfortunate that the option to choose is gone here. In America most will buy the cropped/docked, hardly any naturals.

If you did manage to obtain one, it wouldn't be worth it. You'd be likely to receive a lot of direct criticism from people opposed to cutting/docking, and it's not unlikely you'd be reported to the RSPCA, which could end up with legal difficulties because you'd be indirectly responsible for putting the animal through the procedure. It doesn't seem worth it just for cosmetic preferences, maybe you should just learn to love the natural look :smile:
Original post by Milostar
If you did manage to obtain one, it wouldn't be worth it. You'd be likely to receive a lot of direct criticism from people opposed to cutting/docking, and it's not unlikely you'd be reported to the RSPCA, which could end up with legal difficulties because you'd be indirectly responsible for putting the animal through the procedure. It doesn't seem worth it just for cosmetic preferences, maybe you should just learn to love the natural look :smile:

Thanks for the reply. It's quite expensive importing from the states but there are ones from east europe and even Ireland. I have to go and see the dog before hand obviously to ensure correct temperament. They will also provide the legal paperwork so RSPCA can't say anything, I got this from american forums. Most dobe lovers across the world like the traditional look so I think they would not criticize.

I don't like the natural look. It just isn't a Doberman, the dog was designed to be cropped and docked, it is also painless when done properly. It is the breed standard and you very rarely see one natural in America. In the dog shows you get penalised if it's natural.

There is only one thing that will stop be getting one like this, so any guidance on this from anyone would be appreciated! Does cropped/docked affect the dogs ability to communicate with other dogs? This concerns me as I want what's best for him :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Changed title hoping some people can advice me on dog signals and importing one.
Personally I wouldn't go to the difficulty of importing one as it's going to cost you a lot more money and you will spend a lot more time picking the dog with travel etc. Having cropped/docked tails and ears won't affect the dogs behaviour as dogs communicate mentally via body language and energy. You could have a tiny little fluff ball of a dog but if it's not a stable dog it won't be able to communicate properly with dogs and you could have a stable pitbull that is stable and is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the reply. It's quite expensive importing from the states but there are ones from east europe and even Ireland. I have to go and see the dog before hand obviously to ensure correct temperament. They will also provide the legal paperwork so RSPCA can't say anything, I got this from american forums. Most dobe lovers across the world like the traditional look so I think they would not criticize.

I don't like the natural look. It just isn't a Doberman, the dog was designed to be cropped and docked, it is also painless when done properly. It is the breed standard and you very rarely see one natural in America. In the dog shows you get penalised if it's natural.

There is only one thing that will stop be getting one like this, so any guidance on this from anyone would be appreciated! Does cropped/docked affect the dogs ability to communicate with other dogs? This concerns me as I want what's best for him :smile:

I saw a TV programme recently which suggested that many importation documents are forgeries and the dogs are actually UK bred, often in appalling conditions. As you're concerned about welfare, I guess you'd want to avoid irresponsible breeders and potentially illegal transactions. Also, if the documents are forged, it's a foregone conclusion that the pedigree would be suspect, and you could be buying a dog with unknown ailments in its bloodline. The standard advice is that you should insist on seeing the dog with its mother, which would involve travelling to Ireland or Eastern Europe, and even then you could still get conned. It may be possible to track down reputable breeders in those countries, but you'd have to do some investigating to find them.
Op id like to crop your ears if you dont mind?
Original post by MattBerry96
Personally I wouldn't go to the difficulty of importing one as it's going to cost you a lot more money and you will spend a lot more time picking the dog with travel etc. Having cropped/docked tails and ears won't affect the dogs behaviour as dogs communicate mentally via body language and energy. You could have a tiny little fluff ball of a dog but if it's not a stable dog it won't be able to communicate properly with dogs and you could have a stable pitbull that is stable and is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm I thought tail signals and ear signals may be key, looking around it seems it doesn't make much of a difference as you say.
Original post by Pastaferian
I saw a TV programme recently which suggested that many importation documents are forgeries and the dogs are actually UK bred, often in appalling conditions. As you're concerned about welfare, I guess you'd want to avoid irresponsible breeders and potentially illegal transactions. Also, if the documents are forged, it's a foregone conclusion that the pedigree would be suspect, and you could be buying a dog with unknown ailments in its bloodline. The standard advice is that you should insist on seeing the dog with its mother, which would involve travelling to Ireland or Eastern Europe, and even then you could still get conned. It may be possible to track down reputable breeders in those countries, but you'd have to do some investigating to find them.

There is no doubt I will get a cropped/docked doberman. Dobes are prone to certain disorders too plus the temperament issue. I will need to make sure of the dog and it's parents-hopefully on a doberman forum someone can help me.
Original post by AwsomePossum
Op id like to crop your ears if you dont mind?

Babies get circumcised.

It's how the Doberman was intended to be-it's also a painless procedure. Without the cropped/docked look, is it really a Doberman? As I said judges penalise the natural look in the states.

Check out these American Dobes, gorgeous! Natural can't compete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rRJ6PrKtFU

I love the "flame" cropped style rather than the short one. Mine had a similar one.
(edited 10 years ago)
Babies get circumcised.

It's how the Doberman was intended to be-it's also a painless procedure. Without the cropped/docked look, is it really a Doberman? As I said judges penalise the natural look in the states.

I love the "flame" cropped style rather than the short one. Mine had a similar one.

A lot of people think babies shouldn't get circumcised, me included.
And with the cropped/docked look, it's only 99% a Doberman, because you chopped 1% off :wink:
Reply 11
Babies get circumcised.

There's so much wrong with the points you made I can't even be bothered to type them all out.
Original post by Pastaferian
A lot of people think babies shouldn't get circumcised, me included.
And with the cropped/docked look, it's only 99% a Doberman, because you chopped 1% off :wink:

It's actually a proper doberman unlike the natural one-read up on it's history. A lot of people want the cropped look but because it's banned, they have to make do.
Original post by CodeJack
There's so much wrong with the points you made I can't even be bothered to type them all out.

Then why isn't it banned in the states then? The greatest democracy and advanced country. An international police as Cheney once termed it.

Please grow up. I am not one of those individuals saying ban all natural dobes or hating on them. I am saying the option to do either should exist. Pretty much every dobe is cropped elsewhere.

Everything I said there is fact if you read again.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Then why isn't it banned in the states then? The greatest democracy and advanced country. An international police as Cheney once termed it.

Please grow up. I am not one of those individuals saying ban all natural dobes or hating on them. I am saying the option to do either should exist. Pretty much every dobe is cropped elsewhere.

So if something is not banned in the states, then that makes it suddenly good? Huh...
So if something is not banned in the states, then that makes it suddenly good? Huh...

You have to think it's the greatest democracy and there are rigorous procedures. So they must have looked into this. You also are not aware it seems that the doberman tail is whippy and not bushy like a german shepherd, it's prone to painful injuries and fractures.

No such thing as a natural dog-we bred them into distinct breeds.

Cropping gives it ears which stay up, like how wolves have them, their ancestors.

Again to clarify, I have nothing against a "natural" doberman. Just I don't like the look of it like millions of other people-it goes against it's own tradition.

Both should be allowed imo, subject to the owner's choice.
Reply 16
You have to think it's the greatest democracy

Nope. I really don't. It's one of the worst.
Reply 17
Colonel Hans Landa was at least an intellectual. Your arguments betray you as anything but.
Nope. I really don't. It's one of the worst.

You have said nothing of value in this thread even if you had a differing opinion-wasn't presented appropriately. tc :smile:
I know someone who's dog nearly died after it got blood poisoning from an infection after having its ears cropped.... just food for thought

Latest