The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Will I survive?

Hey guys

Well here is the problem. I have chosen Keele as my insurance to study Law but now im regreting not putting it as my firm:frown: So now I hope my grades will not match my firm so I have a good chance of going to keele!

That isnt the problem though. When picking Keele as my insurance I always thought I was going to commute there by train but now I dont think thats going to be managable from where I live in the Midlands. So halls is now looking like the only option.

However,im really worrying about the financial side of it. My parents wont be able to support me in this way so im basically just depending on a student loan and an income I earn while in uni! Im prepared to work as many hours as i can but i dont want to be working that many that i spoil my study and uni life generally.

Do you think Im just being too cautious and that I will be ok?Or should I worry?Your thoughts would really be appreciated:smile:
I had minimal parental financial support this year and I haven't had any income from work so I'm sure you'll be fine. Just look for the student account with the biggest overdraft (Co-operative/Smile is currently £1,400 for first year) and don't go for en-suite. Also, a stash of money saved up is good.
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
Thnx Lunar!Just seems a waste of uni time if all you end up doing is working too much and worrying about money. I guess good student overdrafts help big time. :p:
Reply 3
Big overdraft, maximal loan available, provides you with more than you'd probably need over the year if you're living on campus. A part-time job is still useful though if you can be bothered! :smile:

If you get offered a place at your firm can't you turn that down and go to your insurance? I forget how it works but if it isn't like that it seems a bit silly.
Well in the first term I got to the stage where I couldn't check my balance... You do still worry about money, especially when you have to spend it on something (like rent). Have some kind of budget, and try to buy anything that costs over £20 at the beginning of term - then you know how much you have left. You do get to a stage where you really don't give a **** though.
Reply 5
Sounds like you guys have managed well.

Its just really started to worry me now because Im really into the idea of going to Keele. I guess the majority of students are constantly thinking about finance so I guess I should stop being too cautious. Fingers crossed, i just hope i can get in now, then Il start worrying about money after.

Guess I'l start hunting for a mega overdraft:p:
Also, if you want some advice on how to blag your way out of an offer... (I nearly ended up going to Aberystwyth!)
Reply 7
Lunar_Scorpion
Also, if you want some advice on how to blag your way out of an offer... (I nearly ended up going to Aberystwyth!)

Go on....
Well I just phoned them up and said I really didn't want to go, too far from home and stuff... They told me to send a letter and they would release me from the offer and a couple of days later I got my Clearing form through the post!
Reply 9
if its any consolation, keeles accomodation is very cheap compared to other universities. I am also kinda worried about finances, but the student loan is a good backing. I am sure everything will work out!! just be a bit thrifty
I stongly suggest you work out some kind of budget in advance - and get some money put away in savings. I would be better off if I'd done this...
Reply 11
I did email Keele admissions on friday to kind of put them in the situation that I prefer to pick them over my firm, dont think that will really make any difference though, just thought it wouldn't hurt.

Im not to worried about the finance bit now,i know its a worry for most students,so i guess its all about being sensible while living away,dont know how easy that will be though:rolleyes:

I see what you all mean too by keele being pretty cheap. My friends were saying how they will be paying about £90 a week in uni's like Birmingham!The budgeting pre-hand sounds a good idea,at least you dont enter uni without a clue how to handle your money!

How easy is it to a job at keele uni? Thanks again for the info everyone!:smile:
Reply 12
Hey don't worry too much about finances. I had no help at all from my parents and had no savings for uni and i managed throughout the first year. Liek someone else said Co-operative bank do have a good overdraft for first year and is one of teh best for student accounts. Plus don't worrry about end debts as you will only pay it back once you earn a certain amount and it's only a tiny amount coming out of your account when do.

Jobs are relatively easy to get there's a jobshop in the union with positions always coming up within the uni and the local area. Plus there is a jobs fair in the first few weeks when you arrive with people advertising.

I suggest you start looking for jobs have a look on the jobshop as well before you come then you can have a heads up if not have a look for jobs the first weeks you get there.
Or you could just be a bum like me and not work at all! :biggrin:

Latest