The Student Room Group

Disturbed Characters - Macbeth and Jekyll and Hyde

Hey everyone,

On Friday and Monday I have 4 hours (in total) to write 1200-2000 words for my English Language controlled assessment, and was hoping for some help.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the exact question/task title in here, so I'm going to abbreviate/change it slightly:

I need to compare the ways in which disturbed characters are presented in Macbeth and Jekyll and Hyde.

I'm confused as to what to write, as my English teacher hasn't given any tips at all unfortunately, and I need to get a good mark as it is worth 25% of my entire Language GCSE.

Thanks for all help.
Reply 1
All help is greatly appreciated... my exam is on Friday and I would really like some tips :biggrin:

All my English teacher has said is the format and a few themes, nothing about actually what to write etc.
To start off think about language, form and structure of the pieces at all times. Write a short introduction saying that they both deal with the disturbed characters within the bounds of prose and a stage play by using devices such as....etc etc, this should drop you into your first main point at the end of the paragraph in order to give your essay a clean break into your analysis. I'll just bullet point a few key points that you might want to think about and develop on (in no particular order, they're in the order I thought of them, so don't try and use it as an essay structure if you don't think it flows well with your introduction):

The turmoil within Jekyll that led him to create his alternate ego is reflected in the scenery, in particular in regards to the house he lies in. The front door which Jekyll walks in is 'richly dressed' (you'll have to look up the quote, it's about half way through the book) and the back door is only used by Hyde (described closer to the front of the book) therefore showing his inner turmoil and struggles in a visual and symbolic way.

Think about linking the above point to the ambience that the weather gives us in Macbeth at his most troubling times, such as the storm on the night of Duncan's murder. (This links due to the visual imagery, but is a contrast due it being hyperbolic, rather than the more subtle, and mundane, imagery of Stevenson). This then breaks you into Macbeth easily.

Staying with Macbeth and go on to say how his pain is shown through his soliloquies, something which is a prime authorial device used by Shakespeare. 'Is this a dagger I see before me?' Is one that shows his inner conflict and utter disturbance with himself as to the regicide he is about to commit. Note in this dialogue the dagger is in Macbeth's mind. Macbeth's imagination is very powerful and that's something which torments him throughout the play, a key reason why he is so disturbed.

Lady Macbeth is a massive point to make in terms of Macbeth. She is, arguably, the most disturbed character in Macbeth. Analyse the sleep walking scene, it shows her true mental illness. Think about her obsession with washing her hands and ow she is so troubled with guilt an the actions that she forced her husband to commit, the atrocities haunt her.

The 'duality' (to quote Stevenson) within a man is something that Lady Macbeth shows, the greed for power and then the disturbance it causes her. Jekyll also speaks of this: 'It was on the moral side, and in my own person, that I learned to recognise the thorough and primitive duality of man; I saw that, of the two natures that contended in the field of my consciousness, even if I could rightly be said to be either, it was only because I was radically both; and from an early date . . . I had learned to dwell with pleasure, as a beloved daydream, on the thought of the separation of these elements.' Think about how this links with Macbeth. The two natures contending are like Macbeth and his morals, Macbeth isn't naturally a killer and so this conflict is created within him.

Talk about metaphor and symbolism as much as you can. Note that Shakespeare often used apostrophe, which would be a nice device to mention if you can find it. He also writes in iambic pentameter, with rhyming couplets to emphasise various points (the last two lines of the soliloquy I mentioned earlier)

To conclude the piece just overview what you've already said, answering the question given to you in brief.

Hope this helps and good luck with it.
thank you so much!!!!!!!!! so how can i start revising straight away as im in yr 11 and have lots of exams coming up !!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending