The Student Room Group

Study abroad help! McGill, Oregon or Queensland

Hi there, i'm studying biology at the moment and i'm looking to do some study abroad in my second year.

I still havent fully decided whether I just want to go for a semester or a full year (what would you suggest?)

& Yeah, i'm just looking for any pros/cons about each university and anything you can tell me about them from your experience/a friends experience/whatever else!
Original post by Mocking_bird
Hi there, i'm studying biology at the moment and i'm looking to do some study abroad in my second year.

I still havent fully decided whether I just want to go for a semester or a full year (what would you suggest?)

& Yeah, i'm just looking for any pros/cons about each university and anything you can tell me about them from your experience/a friends experience/whatever else!

Hi there.

Wow, you have quite a variety of choices based on the selection you've made! Canada, U.S., or Australia! I don't too much about Queensland or Oregon, and although I don't go to McGill, I do know some things about the university.

First of all, let me tell you that McGill is a very reputable university. It is considered to be one of the best universities in Canada and it is a very competitive university, since most of the students that do get in got top marks in high school. It is known for its professional programs, particularly medicine, and its arts and science programs are also very popular.

As for Montreal, it is a nice city. I would consider it to be a city with a European twist, given that it is a bilingual city with significant French influence. It would be nice if you know French, but you would not have much problems using English around the city, since most people in Montreal can interchangeably use both official languages. However, if you are interested in working while you are abroad, then I would highly recommend having a working knowledge of French.

The weather in Montreal is pretty cold during the winter and it does snow quite a lot in January until March, sometimes until April. You will be experiencing really cold temperatures under icy conditions, so dress appropriately and bring more winter clothes if you are studying during the winter semester.

As for the quality of life, it will be significantly cheaper than cities like London and Paris, and since the Canadian dollar is lower than the pound, the conversion rate is in your favour. If you are planning on living off-campus, the rent in Montreal isn't too expensive for a city, so you don't have to worry about finding accommodation at a reasonable rate.

If you are interested in travelling, Montreal is within a few hours reach from major cities like Toronto, Ottawa, and Quebec City. For a few extra hours drive, you can visit a few major cities in the United States, such as New York City, Boston, and Philadelphia.

Note that if you are going to McGill that parties will be a really common thing. McGill is known for being a party school, so if you are very sociable and like going out, then I'm sure you will like McGill. Also, Montreal has a really great nightlife with a lot of nightclubs and bars, so you will have no difficulties finding a place to hang out with your friends.

If you have any questions relating to McGill or Montreal in general, feel free to ask me.

Good luck with your decision! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending