The Student Room Group

Please, I desperately need help to choose which degree...

Hi, so the UCAS deadline for my school is approaching and I'm still unsure which degree I would like to do at university. Furthermore, I have no idea which career path I would like to head down, and I probably can't write my PS to incorporate both degrees as they are completely different. So, why not ask a load of fellow students...

I'm struggling to decide between Geography and Film Production. One being an academic course, the other being mostly practical. I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking of you, but I really need help choosing.

Thank you
Reply 1
I would do Geography. Limits you less in terms of career options.
Original post by Aaron116
Hi, so the UCAS deadline for my school is approaching and I'm still unsure which degree I would like to do at university. Furthermore, I have no idea which career path I would like to head down, and I probably can't write my PS to incorporate both degrees as they are completely different. So, why not ask a load of fellow students...

I'm struggling to decide between Geography and Film Production. One being an academic course, the other being mostly practical. I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking of you, but I really need help choosing.

Thank you

Would you not consider taking a gap year? You don't seem too sure on what you want to do, and rushing into it could see you unhappy in the end; you need to be sure you'd be happy on the course. No one on here can really give you a sensible answer in choosing between one or the other, because only YOU know what you'd be happiest studying :smile: I really would advise thinking about this properly, if that requires a lot of time then perhaps applying next year would be the best option!

Best of luck though, obviously taking a year out isn't what some people want to do, so if that's you, I recommend reading up on both of your choices to push you in the right direction :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I would second the gap year: I was really not sure in year 13, desperately trying to decide between classics and history. I applied for history, got offers and then I deferred for a year and got a decent job, realised I didn't want to do either, so I have stayed in work whilst now doing a science access course.

I can't wait to go uni now but was dreading it before - I am so glad I stopped to think about whether it was right. I know it's not an option for everyone though, but if you got a TV or film based placement for a year, that might make you more certain.
Do geography and join the photography society or something related (they'll do film also). Just do as much film related stuff as possible in terms of extra curricular. That way you still have a good chance of getting into that field if you really want to, but at the same time you'll have more alternate career opportunities with a geography degree.

You don't need a film/media/journalism degree to work in the film/media/journalism fields. Often, most professionals will advise against choosing such a degree.
Geography degree now film school later? Geography is a more practical degree and a respected back-up option. Good paying film jobs are few and far between and I imagine going to a really good film school would stand out on your resume. You have 3 years to build up a decent portfolio of film work as well as self-study the theory behind it - you'll be well equipped for film school and wouldn't have to anxiously tailor your personal statement to fit two very different courses!

Think about it.

Also, have you taken a look at Ideastap and the National Youth Film Academy? They have impressive things going on.
Reply 6
You won't get a job with film production.
Why not do a joint honours in both geography and media. Newcastle, melee, liverpool hope, Glasgow, Canterbury and Derby all do combined degrees in geography and media which may be perfect for you!
Original post by Aaron116

Thank you

Be smaaart. Think about the job at the end of it all...
Unless you're going for Geography at Oxford or something, you'd probably end up in teaching...
Film Production is very competitive after the degree... A lot of people even without degrees go into the field so it's riskyyy but if you're good and you have contacts then go for it
Geography would get boring after while though..
Original post by Nitrogen
You won't get a job with film production.

you don't know that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending