The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2015 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bubblechub
Hey I want to go and study dentistry and I am choosing my alevels and taking art, biology and chemistry I need to take one more a level either English literature or psychology
Which do you reckon is best? thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reckon art is a mistake. It is far too time consuming and chemistry is very hard work
I would go psychology for sure as from what others say it's not difficult to get an A.
Hey I want to go and study dentistry and I am choosing my alevels and taking art, biology and chemistry I need to take one more a level either English literature or psychology
Which do you reckon is best? thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any A level is going to be a lot of work! Obviously you need chemistry and one other science, and I find Biology and Chemistry go really well together. Art may be time-consuming, but for dentistry you can make it look fantastic on a personal statement if you use it as a demonstration of manual dexterity.

In terms of the other two, it really doesn't matter but I reckon English Lit is more highly regarded compared to Psychology (my school doesn't even offer it for that reason). However, a subject you enjoy you are much likely to be motivated to work for, and therefore do well in.

Feel free to inbox me any questions, I've been lucky enough to get 5 offers (1 for biological sciences as my back up) so hopefully my advice will actually be useful.....
Original post by MS0106
I know a lot of previous applicants who had more rejections and only one uni offered-they were very bright students
What do i have to do to improve my chance of an offer. I am applying in Oct 2015

Dentistry is extremely competitive, so what you need to do is build up a fantastic personal statement to make you stand out from the crowd. If you are committed and it's honestly what you want to do, you need to get that across by SHOWING rather than telling. ie 'I learnt the value of communication through volunteering at an old people's home' not 'I'm a good communicator'.

Getting good grades won't automatically make you a good dentist! It also depends a lot on how your interview goes, because once you get to that stage everyone is on a level playing field- someone with 14A*s and 6As at AS is no more likely to get an offer than someone with 2A*s and AABB!

So between now and then; a variety of work experience (I learnt that it's not necessarily how LONG you do work experience but the VARIETY and what you take away from it. Write a diary when you get home from any work experience, remember interesting individual cases) possibly start reading dental related news, anything with children or elderly thats voluntry is also going to look good. Work hard at the UKCAT but at the same time mine was incredibly average and I was fine :smile:
Original post by tsraccount23
Hey, I was wondering is it absolutely neccessary to get 2 weeks of work experience in general nhs practice for all unis? Did anyone manage to get an offer without gdp w/e?

Bcos I have got w/e in a private practice that have nhs patients, and in hospital, but haven't found a gdp that accepts w/e student.
Please can you guys message me details of a gdp that allows work experience- thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need 2 weeks in a general practice, fairly sure its 2 weeks overall. There are hundreds of general practices around, email everyone and anyone or call them up! Private with NHS is probably fine though.Hosptial is FAB, write a diary of individual cases so you can talk about them.

It's what you take from each experience, not how long you are there for that's important so don't stress! Some people are obviously going to have more experience than others- through family or school links etc so those with less opportunity are not going to be hugely prejudiced against by uni's.

If you are still worried, it takes two minutes to go onto a uni's website and look up the entry requirements!
Reply 4824
does anyone know what or any entry exam Leeds require for dentistry?

thanks
Original post by amsib
does anyone know what or any entry exam Leeds require for dentistry?

thanks

Leeds require the BMAT
Reply 4826
is that for the 2016 entries as the website said that: 'A decision has not yet been made regarding whether we will ask for the BMAT for entry in 2016'
Original post by amsib
is that for the 2016 entries as the website said that: 'A decision has not yet been made regarding whether we will ask for the BMAT for entry in 2016'

Oh right sorry I just said that based on last year.
Original post by amsib

You should call their admissions department and ask them to see - not sure if we (as a previous cohort with different requirements) would be any help on this!
Also, a lot of unis accept experience in different areas in dentistry, so if you can't get two weeks' (And places like Glasgow only require 3 days) actually shadowing a dentist, you could go to a dental lab, work in a dental reception (much easier to organise as no patient conf. nonsense), work in a decontamination facility, or if you have the contacts go and shadow at a Max Fax (maxillio facial) centre, these are normally in hospitals. This shows a real interest to what the career of dentistry actually requires, as well as giving you an insight :smile:

Also if you can, actually speak to the dentists, dental nurses, and all other professionals about the actual workings of a practice, it is one thing to read about then, but to actually get it from a real person's perspective is invaluable. For example my work ex. loved moaning about how UDAs are a fail of a system and very unfair. I then was able to have a ten minute rant with one of my interviewers at Newcastle who was also very passionate on the subject. This was a great help as otherwise this interview had been quite strained.

I only had three days in gdp, but filled up to two weeks with other experience, I received four offers for dentistry, and it was a great thing to talk about at interview

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Really good 2 part documentary on BBC iPlayer called "the truth about your teeth" if anyone's interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmBlacck
Any A level is going to be a lot of work! Obviously you need chemistry and one other science, and I find Biology and Chemistry go really well together. Art may be time-consuming, but for dentistry you can make it look fantastic on a personal statement if you use it as a demonstration of manual dexterity.

In terms of the other two, it really doesn't matter but I reckon English Lit is more highly regarded compared to Psychology (my school doesn't even offer it for that reason). However, a subject you enjoy you are much likely to be motivated to work for, and therefore do well in.

Feel free to inbox me any questions, I've been lucky enough to get 5 offers (1 for biological sciences as my back up) so hopefully my advice will actually be useful.....

Thanks a lot I have to take art as I have a scholarship I think I will probably wait to see what I get for English at GCSE. Well done for getting 5 offers. Did you try for dentistry at Kings College London?
Original post by Princess1997
Also, a lot of unis accept experience in different areas in dentistry, so if you can't get two weeks' (And places like Glasgow only require 3 days) actually shadowing a dentist, you could go to a dental lab, work in a dental reception (much easier to organise as no patient conf. nonsense), work in a decontamination facility, or if you have the contacts go and shadow at a Max Fax (maxillio facial) centre, these are normally in hospitals. This shows a real interest to what the career of dentistry actually requires, as well as giving you an insight :smile:

Also if you can, actually speak to the dentists, dental nurses, and all other professionals about the actual workings of a practice, it is one thing to read about then, but to actually get it from a real person's perspective is invaluable. For example my work ex. loved moaning about how UDAs are a fail of a system and very unfair. I then was able to have a ten minute rant with one of my interviewers at Newcastle who was also very passionate on the subject. This was a great help as otherwise this interview had been quite strained.

I only had three days in gdp, but filled up to two weeks with other experience, I received four offers for dentistry, and it was a great thing to talk about at interview

Hope this helps :smile:

Wow! thank you so much for taking the time to write all that out :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? and which one is your firm and insurance choice?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone know about Leeds accepting you with lower grades?? I have an offer for AAA but slightly worried I won't get all 3 As, maybe bio or chem as a B, but does anyone know if I still have a chance of them accepting me?😕 I've heard Leeds are slightly relaxed with grades
Thanks a lot I have to take art as I have a scholarship I think I will probably wait to see what I get for English at GCSE. Well done for getting 5 offers. Did you try for dentistry at Kings College London?

Nope I didn't wanna be a student in London, even though I know how well regarded Kings is :smile:

I've firmed Bristol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wicked ✌🏻️Well done
Original post by KMcC123
anyone know about Leeds accepting you with lower grades?? I have an offer for AAA but slightly worried I won't get all 3 As, maybe bio or chem as a B, but does anyone know if I still have a chance of them accepting me?😕 I've heard Leeds are slightly relaxed with grades

Im starting to worry about the same thing! But I've heard that leeds don't accept people with lower grades, my friend ending up missing her offer on results day last year...
Hey guys, I'm just wondering if anyone had any productive feedback from the MMI's at Cardiff university? I was unsuccessful in my application, and my feedback was very vague and contrasting. I'd appreciate your opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I also had feedback from Cardiff and found it to be quite the opposite it was very detailed and much better than feedback received from other unis!! It was useful the way they had broke it down to individual scores and then comments from the interviewers it allowed me to see what stations had let me down which was super useful as I plan to reapply next year:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
What uni couod I get into with 2a* 3a and 4 b,3 of my b were chem and English

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest