The Student Room Group

Favourite Beatles album?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yeah_baby
I can't say I've heard the original un-released version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UfqidFMTK0
Before Phil Spector tinkered around with it. Paul McCartney was very angry when Spector edited the song to sound how it does in the album.
Original post by ninuzu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UfqidFMTK0
Before Phil Spector tinkered around with it. Paul McCartney was very angry when Spector edited the song to sound how it does in the album.

http://www.mybeatlescollection.com/images/asknat/lettertoklein.jpg

:biggrin:
Where's Penny Lane?
Reply 24
Original post by Maid Marian
Where's Penny Lane?

Not an album. It's in the magical mystery tour album.
Original post by ninuzu
Not an album. It's in the magical mystery tour album.

Ohhhh. :tongue:
Reply 26
Original post by Maid Marian
Ohhhh. :tongue:

:tongue:
Reply 27
Abbey Road! Here Comes the Sun and Something are the clinchers for me, my 2 favourite Beatles songs on one record, and both by George Harrison, so so so good
Reply 28
Original post by burnley
Abbey Road! Here Comes the Sun and Something are the clinchers for me, my 2 favorite Beatles songs on one record, and both by George Harrison, so so so good

Golden Slumbers/ Carry That Weight... ammmmmmmaaaazing music.
Reply 29
Original post by Jjj90
Golden Slumbers/ Carry That Weight... ammmmmmmaaaazing music.

Golden slumbers/carry that wait is orgasmic music.
Revolver. Best album of all time.
Taxman, Eleanor rigby, here there and everywhere, yellow sub, and your bird can sing, for no-one, doctor Robert, tomorrow never knows etc etc.
How can any album by any band be better than this one???
Reply 31
Original post by Should_be_studying
Revolver. Best album of all time.
Taxman, Eleanor rigby, here there and everywhere, yellow sub, and your bird can sing, for no-one, doctor Robert, tomorrow never knows etc etc.
How can any album by any band be better than this one???

Eleanor rigby is AMAZING. The orchestra work in that really makes it.
Here there and everywhere is great too :smile:
it alternates depending on my mood I guess, but generally these are my top three in one order or another;

Revolver, Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road
Trouble is, their stuff from 63/64 is proper rock n' roll style, whereas the later albums are a completely different style of music so it's hard to pick a favourite album. It's truly incredible the stuff that they could do... Just wish I was around back then...
Reply 34
Original post by Should_be_studying
Trouble is, their stuff from 63/64 is proper rock n' roll style, whereas the later albums are a completely different style of music so it's hard to pick a favourite album. It's truly incredible the stuff that they could do... Just wish I was around back then...

Ahh, same. Music starting in the late 1950's and going on through the 60's is sooo much better than the current stuff :coma:
Abbey Road, especially the second half.
Has to be Sgt. Pepper's for me.
Reply 37
Original post by Psilocybinge
Has to be Sgt. Pepper's for me.

Sgt. Pepper was just pure genius. The whole idea of it is brilliant. They had to follow on the success of Revolver, and what an idea from Paul to create an alter-ego group that meant they could experiment more often.
A day in the life has to be one of the greatest songs ever!
And the fact that this was all done when they were high as f*** is pretty incredible to :rofl:
Reply 38
Magical Mystery Tour often gets far more of a short straw that its individual songs might suggest it deserves.

If several of its songs had been on Sergeant Pepper that album would have been closer to the surrealism that many regard as one of the key components of The Beatles. Instead, Pepper seems of such lack of focus that is very easy to point to A Day in The Life if you had to pick 1 high point.

If Sergeant Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour were mixed in to a double album, it would be easier to say that was their equivalent of Brian Wilson's Smile.
Instead, it is possible to say that Revolver, Abbey Road and Magical Mystery Tour are better Beatles albums than Sergeant Pepper. Thanks to Drive my car and Norwegian Wood, It's not necessarily silly to say that Rubber Soul, is of a similar quality to Sergeant Pepper overall but that might be going too far. I think of Pepper as more like a hastily cobbled together (by their standards - great by any others) attempt than a collection of songs, or even a story, that you might necessarily get massively attached to as whole, A Day in the Life excepted.

But their most musically accomplished albums for me, that also give you a warm Beatles feeling, are Magical Mystery and Abbey Road.
I don't really regard The White Album and Let it Be as being albums. It's a few individuals throwing in their singles, art/rock pretensions and left overs with, of course, uneven results. At least on Abbey Road they genuinely jammed together.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Picnic1
Magical Mystery Tour often gets far more of a short straw that its individual songs might suggest it deserves.

If several of its songs had been on Sergeant Pepper that album would have been closer to the surrealism that many regard as one of the key components of The Beatles. Instead, Pepper seems of such lack of focus that is very easy to point to A Day in The Life if you had to pick 1 high point.

If Sergeant Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour were mixed in to a double album, it would be easier to say that was their equivalent of Brian Wilson's Smile.
Instead, it is possible to say that Revolver, Abbey Road and Magical Mystery Tour are better Beatles albums than Sergeant Pepper. I even used to think that Rubber Soul was better than Sergeant Pepper overall but that might be going too far. I think of Pepper as more like a hastily cobbled together (by their standards - great by any others) attempt than a collection of songs, or even a story, that you might necessarily get massively attached to as whole, A Day in the Life excepted.

I agree with your point about Magical Mystery Tour. Really is an underrated album when you realise it has strawberry fields forever, hello goodbye, penny lane, all you need is love, I am the walrus etc

Quick Reply

Latest