The Student Room Group

Manchester Dentistry Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mobrien
I got: A2 3 A's plus B at AS. GCSE 8A*'s 2A's. UKCAT 683.

I received 3 offers so it shows you don't have to have highest grades possible.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

They're high, your stats are one of the best you could get😄 which universities did you get an offer from? And do they really look at gcses? I'm only going to be able to get 4A*'s and 6A's😕 thanks by the way😜
Original post by Dentist214
I want to apply to dentistry and I was just wondering the stats of those who have been offered a place

A*A*A, 6A*s5As, 717.5ukcat - relevent w/e volunteering. I got one offer.
People are right that its not all about the grades since everyone who applies will have the grades.
Although, Its not going to get any easier to get in - the GDC reduced the number of dentistry places at uni by 10% this year so competition is EVEN tougher since the number of applicants for dentistry is still rising.
It wont be long until dentistry is A*AA minimum entry
Original post by teen1234
A*A*A, 6A*s5As, 717.5ukcat - relevent w/e volunteering. I got one offer.

Wow, you did so well😃 if you don't mind me asking which university did you get the offer from? And do you think 4A*'s and 6A's at gcse will be ok
Wow, you did so well😃 if you don't mind me asking which university did you get the offer from? And do you think 4A*'s and 6A's at gcse will be ok

Plymouth and your GCSEs will be fine for most places. Having a high UKCAT will secure you interviews ive found with most applicants as long as you obviously have AAA w/e etc. Interviews are different at each uni also - e.g plymouths interview was very ethical/morality based and lasted around 30 mins whereas sheffield is a lot more standard and only about 10/15 mins. Youve probably heard 'apply smart' and 'apply where it suits your application', its the best advise since every university have little things that they prefer over others e.g leeds are willing to compromise academics for long w/e placements. Plymouth and barts rank you on UKCAT and academics a lot. Sheffield and kings are big on ukcat, birmingham big on gcses etc etc.
As I said though, competition is just going to get tougher and tougher since there are more applicants each year and the number of places have reduced.
Reply 584
They're high, your stats are one of the best you could get������ which universities did you get an offer from? And do they really look at gcses? I'm only going to be able to get 4A*'s and 6A's������ thanks by the way������

Thanks :smile:. And I received offers from Manchester (where I'm going), Liverpool and Newcastle. GCSE wise it's not as important as A2's but as long as you have pretty solid ones like you said you have then you will definitely be fine.
Reply 585
I want to apply to dentistry and I was just wondering the stats of those who have been offered a place

I got 637 in my UKCAT which was quite poor. Predicted 3A*s for my A-levels. I got 9A*s 2A 2Bs in GCSEs, one of the Bs was in english language which limited which universities I could apply to. Got 3 interview yet only one offer from Manchester. Its not all about grades have an awesome personal statement and have decent interview skills.
Reply 586
Has anyone with an offer from Manchester received dbs forms yet?
They said they are sending them soon on my last letter. what's everyone got as a back up plan?
I haven't got anything from them, I firmed around two weeks ago..should I ring up?
It took a while for my letters to come after I firmed but the deadline for the health questionnaire is the 30th of June and the proof of immunisation must be done by the 1st of August at the latest. Probably best to call.
Is anyone else doing the 6 year dental course starting this year?
hey guys i need urgent advice

GCSE: 7A*3A1B (B in eng lit)
AS: AAAB (B in bio)
pred: A*AAA
ukcat: 625 band 2

my ukcat was a let down.......... do you guys think i can still apply manchester or not?

thanks
590 band 1 in UKCAT is definitely not good enough is it?
i was thinking of applying qm manc bham and lpool and maybe plymouth

what do you think the chances of me getting there are

here are my results:

gcse: 7a*3ab (b in eng lit)
as: aaab
pred: a*aaa
ukcat: 625 band 2

thanks!!! need all the help i can get
For Manchester what is the interview format?
Original post by rudegyal
Guys where should I apply please help!

I have got:

7A* 4A's at GCSE
AS: AABB
Predicted A2: A*A*A
UKCAT: 630 :frown:

Would Barts be out of the question?

Yes, the tariff cutoff point is 410 but you would only have 400. Unless you have other tarrifable qualifications. Congrats on your as results
Guys where shall I apply between Bristol and Manchester? I have an average UKCAT score and high predicted grades (A*A*A*A) but okay AS grades AABB? Do they look at AS or A2 predicted? please help someone:frown: GCSE: 7A* 4A's + A in FSMQ
congrats on your place, are you enjoying the course so far?
did you have to bring a portfolio at the manchester interview?
Hi, just wondering if Manchester asked for a portfolio and what did it consist of?

thank you x
Hi guys, since some of you are now students in manchester i was wondering if you could inform on how the interviews for dentistry work there? The uni website isn't as useful as it doesn't say if its a standard interview or MMI and the sorts of things ask.

Quick Reply

Latest