The Student Room Group

Do you consider biology as a science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by PlsGimmeMBBS
Because biology is more interesting. Anyhow, I got A*A*A* in the three sciences.

Congratulations. You can now stop willy waving.
Reply 41
Original post by Masoudy
Yes it is. Here is an open message to all jealous w**kers out there:

To physicists: Stamp collecting crap Rutherford said last century is outdated. You guys don't even discover new stuff anymore (except in CERN or NASA, if you ever get there). We do actual discovery today (i.e. we science)

To engineers: Yes we do Molecular techniques called "genetic engineering" that do not involve engineering. It is adding and mixing different reagents to create new genes. So your statement of "no science without engineering" isn't accurate and engineering in genetic engineering is not engineering

To mathematicians / Business students: You're not science

To doctors: We lecture you

To chavs: You don't even uni

To snobby Oxford history/philosophy students: You're studying something impractical, find a job after your degree you bloody w**ker

Love
Biologists

Haha, best comment ever, +1
Reply 42
Original post by elohssa
It's a science. However most people who do it would fail at physics, maths or chemistry.

You act like everyone wants to do physics maths or chemistry? what about the fact people think biology is interesting and chemistry a load of ****? derp.
Of course :smile:
Biology is definitely a science based subject. There's no considerations to be discussed.
Reply 45
Because biology is more interesting. Anyhow, I got A*A*A* in the three sciences.

EDIT: not bragging, I know others who got higher. Just trying to illustrate how people who do biology would not always fail at chem and phys

It's more "interesting" because it is easier. Maths is the hardest, then physics, then Chemistry and Biology is the easier by far. Of course these are generalizations and it depends on which path people take e.g. most discrete maths is a lot easier then most sections of biology.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Blob :)
This question is out of curiosity as I have stumbled on quite a few people who don't consider biology as a science, what are your opinions?

*why would you say it is/isn't a science?

I don't consider it as a science - IT IS a science! Even geography (and geo associated courses) and maths are sciences.
(edited 10 years ago)
colouring in isnt a science..
Reply 48
Original post by Nuts B Dragon

:giggle: Bit harsh but I've met countless Biology students who cannot tell their left from their right.
Reply 49
Original post by Nitrogen
Of course biology is a science, its just not as highly regarded as physical sciences imo. People who say biology is not a science is an idiot.

are idiots*
Original post by elohssa
It's more "interesting" because it is easier. Maths is the hardest, then physics, then Chemistry and Biology is the easier by far. Of course these are generalizations and it depends on which path people take e.g. most discrete maths is a lot easier then most sections of biology.

Yes, easier it is easier initially in learning concepts. But once you start with real biology, say last year of A-levels at least (or uni) the sheer volume of content makes this no longer the case.
No: it's a religion.
Oh great Biology, look favourably on me, et c. ...
Reply 52
Yes, easier it is easier initially in learning concepts. But once you start with real biology, say last year of A-levels at least (or uni) the sheer volume of content makes this no longer the case.

There is a large volume of content, but it's the complexity of that content that tends to be easy. As long as one has a good memory they can easily do well in bio. Same can't be said for a lot of maths modules.
Reply 53
Original post by Masoudy

To physicists: Stamp collecting crap Rutherford said last century is outdated. You guys don't even discover new stuff anymore (except in CERN or NASA, if you ever get there). We do actual discovery today (i.e. we science)

I think what you meant to say is "I don't hear about all the new stuff that physicists discover.". You really don't know much about physics research if you think that only CERN and NASA discover things.

I presume you've heard of graphene, semiconductors, high temperature superconducters and quantum computing? All of these things have the potential to revolutionise technology.

In the case of semiconductors, they already have. Unless you live in a hunter-gather type existence I can virtually guarantee that you use a device which relies on semiconductor physics every day. Every computer (except for a handful of extremely old ones) and mobile phone works because of research into semiconductors.
Original post by elohssa
There is a large volume of content, but it's the complexity of that content that tends to be easy. As long as one has a good memory they can easily do well in bio. Same can't be said for a lot of maths modules.

Is that why I didn't do any practice questions for maths yet got a B? I spent f all time on it in relation to biology, like 1/5 of the time and effort

* A-level
Reply 55
Original post by Nuts B Dragon

Biology isn't about colouring in!

I should know, I'm studying for a masters in a geography related field :wink:
One of the following equations is from a biology paper, one is from a chemistry paper, and the other a physics paper. Which is which?

A) 1.png
B) 2.png
C) 3.png
Reply 57
A science is something that used empirical evidence to back up theories. Biology uses empiricism to test hypothesis' and therefore it is a science.
Reply 58
Is that why I didn't do any practice questions for maths yet got a B? I spent f all time on it in relation to biology, like 1/5 of the time and effort

* A-level

A-Level is indeed very easy (at A-Level no subject is tough really, some just require more effort then others). University level maths is a different beast. But again, it depends on how much an individual wants to stretch himself.
Reply 59
A science is something that used empirical evidence to back up theories. Biology uses empiricism to test hypothesis' and therefore it is a science.
Original post by betaglucowhat
One of the following equations is from a biology paper, one is from a chemistry paper, and the other a physics paper. Which is which?

A) 1.png
B) 2.png
C) 3.png

Is A a chem paper? Or B, I can see the Boltzmann constant.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending