The Student Room Group

Do you consider biology as a science?

Scroll to see replies

I would have thought it was obviously a science - what else would it be?
Reply 61
It's a language
Original post by Joinedup
nice to see it again... don't their middle class 1980s houses look strange though

In what way?

I dislike the open staircase/banister arrangement, which is really 1970s, but most houses of that period still have them.
Yes biology is a science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I do, don't know why exactly but I do...
Reply 65
Original post by elohssa
It's a science. However most people who do it would fail at physics, maths or chemistry.

That makes no sense. I take all 4 and my physics and maths marks are miles higher than my Biology marks... Though I have to say, Biology is my favourite :smile:
Reply 66
Not sure if a troll, frankly I don't care, your argument is still flawed.

Original post by Masoudy
You guys don't even discover new stuff anymore (except in CERN or NASA, if you ever get there). We do actual discovery today (i.e. we science)

Contradictory much? NASA haven't just made discoveries in space, but they have given us many things we use today e.g. memory foam, ear thermometer, long-distance telecomms, e.t.c. [cit: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/curiosity/topics/ten-nasa-inventions10.htm]

I will hand it to you though, the smallpox vaccination was quite the discovery, what, 200 years ago? But you'll get there, baby steps and all.

Original post by Masoudy
So your statement of "no science without engineering" isn't accurate

Hmm, I dunno, I'm sure that the industrial revolution helped a bit with the development of all sciences (and biology). Also the chemical plants used to mass produce the drugs needed to cure biological diseases were designed by who? Oh yeah, engineers...

Original post by Masoudy
To mathematicians / Business students: You're not science

Haha, you're so funny. I know you've only just mastered colouring and that adding numbers is a bit to advanced for the likes of you, but I assure you maths is a science, it is the backbone of science without which none of the others would exist.

Good luck with life and have fun teaching disinterested proletariats about leaves and stuff.

Love
Real Scientists
Original post by Masoudy
Yes it is. Here is an open message to all jealous w**kers out there:

To physicists: Stamp collecting crap Rutherford said last century is outdated. You guys don't even discover new stuff anymore (except in CERN or NASA, if you ever get there). We do actual discovery today (i.e. we science)

To engineers: Yes we do Molecular techniques called "genetic engineering" that do not involve engineering. It is adding and mixing different reagents to create new genes. So your statement of "no science without engineering" isn't accurate and engineering in genetic engineering is not engineering

To doctors: We lecture you

To chavs: You don't even uni

To snobby Oxford history/philosophy students: You're studying something impractical, find a job after your degree you bloody w**ker

Love
Biologists

What career prospects are exclusive to Biologists? :smile: I ask not out of malice, I just would like to know
Original post by Masoudy

To physicists: Stamp collecting crap Rutherford said last century is outdated. You guys don't even discover new stuff anymore (except in CERN or NASA, if you ever get there). We do actual discovery today (i.e. we science)

To engineers: Yes we do Molecular techniques called "genetic engineering" that do not involve engineering. It is adding and mixing different reagents to create new genes. So your statement of "no science without engineering" isn't accurate and engineering in genetic engineering is not engineering

To snobby Oxford history/philosophy students: You're studying something impractical, find a job after your degree you bloody w**ker

Love
Biologists

Why respond to ignorance with a narrow minded post like that? It is a farce to call history or philosophy "impractical". Also, your grammar is a bit weak. May I please edit your post and correct your errors?
Reply 69
Original post by Rational Thinker
Why respond to ignorance with a narrow minded post like that? It is a farce to call history or philosophy "impractical". Also, your grammar is a bit weak. May I please edit your post and correct your errors?

Please do
Original post by Masoudy

Love
Biologists

I have highlighted the grammatically non standard areas. Please learn to see that it is not a divide between the humanities and the sciences.
Reply 71
Original post by ConnorB
What career prospects are exclusive to Biologists? :smile: I ask not out of malice, I just would like to know

Nothing is really exclusive to biologists, I would point out where would biologists wanna work:

1) Pharmaceuticals; research and development. E.g. producing aspirin/insulin from bacteria every morning

2) Lecturing at uni or teaching science to A levels; GCSE

3) Science journal editors; science writers in science magazines

4) All the cool people in national geographic

5) Researchers in research labs: could be government labs, company labs, private institutions or uni labs

6) Forensics e.g. DNA fingerprinting, extracting DNA from semen

7) Doing different ecology shizzles and nag everyone for global warming

8) Extracting ores using microorganisms. This was actually mentioned by my professor in his last week's lecture. He was called by an Australian company to invent some bacteria to extract copper or gold from western Australia and he did

9) Food safely in governments; McDonalds and other fast food giants

For me, I am hoping to go to 2 or 5. Would really LOVE researching something never discovered before. It can get you super rich or super famous or make you feel very satisfied after you cure cancer or something
Yes, as it applies the scientific method. I don't know if I agree about it being easy though, but I haven't studied the others to the same level so can't be sure. I think it is the least abstract of the three natural sciences however, which can make it appear easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, definitely! I don't know why anyone wouldn't consider it one. :s-smilie:
Yes. Anyone that says otherwise is a fool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes /thread
Reply 76
Original post by nulli tertius
In what way?

I dislike the open staircase/banister arrangement, which is really 1970s, but most houses of that period still have them.

Probably more to do with what sort of domestic interiors the advertisers show you now vs then
I mainly noticed the kitchen - it's not very 'aspirational', I bet the students in the current BT adverts have a better kitchen than that, probably it's got a fridge that dispenses ice cubes.
Original post by Joinedup
Probably more to do with what sort of domestic interiors the advertisers show you now vs then
I mainly noticed the kitchen - it's not very 'aspirational', I bet the students in the current BT adverts have a better kitchen than that, probably it's got a fridge that dispenses ice cubes.

Very probably but they are very good fridges!

I have had several upgrades of that model (Hotpoint) over the years for different houses. The beauty of them is the freezer is at the top and is a single compartment with shelves rather than a set of drawers.

Of course what is wrong about it is that Beattie is Jewish and so she would have had a milky fridge and a meaty fridge.
Reply 78
It definitely is a science for the reasons mentioned throughout this thread, it's just that a lot of people see it as the easiest out of the sciences, causing a lot of less able people to take it as a token science to help their application look better. This may be why biologists, on average, seem less intelligent than chemists and physicists. At any rate, it's a lot better than humanities, arts and social sciences :wink:
Original post by Sanji4796
It definitely is a science for the reasons mentioned throughout this thread, it's just that a lot of people see it as the easiest out of the sciences, causing a lot of less able people to take it as a token science to help their application look better. This may be why biologists, on average, seem less intelligent than chemists and physicists. At any rate, it's a lot better than humanities, arts and social sciences :wink:

Bit of an over generalisation don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest