The Student Room Group

Have i left it too late to self teach Further mathematics!?!

Hi Guys. this summer i began self teaching a level physics, with the view of taking the exams this summer.

My UCAS application has been sent off and everything, but recently i have decided i also really want an AS in further maths, so i'm going to start self teaching now, as i want to study Physics at university

My problem is, is doing FP1, M2 and M3 going to be too much work / too difficult to self teach alongside physics and a full time job?

Any advice REALLY appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Burmp
Reply 2
just need a tiny bit of advice to any one who has self taught any A level maths (got AAA IN A LEVELS)
Reply 3
Original post by physicso
Hi Guys. this summer i began self teaching a level physics, with the view of taking the exams this summer.

My UCAS application has been sent off and everything, but recently i have decided i also really want an AS in further maths, so i'm going to start self teaching now, as i want to study Physics at university

My problem is, is doing FP1, M2 and M3 going to be too much work / too difficult to self teach alongside physics and a full time job?

Any advice REALLY appreciated.

I WANNA TEACH MYSELF PHYSICS TOO! how did you go about doing it? What year are you in? What about c/a??? Thanks!! And as for FP1, as long as you feel you can do it then it's fine.
I'd say FP1 and M2 are relatively simple to teach, provided you've done M2 and the mechanics in Physics. M3 is quite complicated, but as long as you have a source to help you if you get stuck, there's no reason why you can't try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by theJdog
I WANNA TEACH MYSELF PHYSICS TOO! how did you go about doing it? What year are you in? What about c/a??? Thanks!! And as for FP1, as long as you feel you can do it then it's fine.

I am already about 1/3 through the second AS unit.

It's been fine so far - though the A2 looks much harder. Just start ASAP and you'll be fine! im worried about the practicals though (having to do them in London).

I have finished my a levels on a gap year - so in y14.

What is c/a?
Reply 6
I am already about 1/3 through the second AS unit.

It's been fine so far - though the A2 looks much harder. Just start ASAP and you'll be fine! im worried about the practicals though (having to do them in London).

I have finished my a levels on a gap year - so in y14.

What is c/a?
Year 14???? I thought you can only be in year 12 or 13, year 14 is uni isn't it? And im in year 12. And controlled assessments - c/a. What a-levels have you done? And are you doing physics through your sixth form?

And thanks :smile:
You have more than enough time, exams are around 6 months away and you can easily finish one module every month (if you do 6-7 hours a day then you could do it in even a week). For FP1 and M2 if you get stuck I would suggest using examsolutions.net however for M3 you could post here and hope that one or two of those Mechanics veterans post here and help you out.
Reply 8
Original post by theJdog
Year 14???? I thought you can only be in year 12 or 13, year 14 is uni isn't it? And im in year 12. And controlled assessments - c/a. What a-levels have you done? And are you doing physics through your sixth form?

And thanks :smile:

I mean i've on a gap year lol. Yeah controlled assesments are difficult as only a few colleges offer them - costing me over £400!

No i'm self teaching (see OP) are you planning on doing the same? i've found TSR to be dead useful
Reply 9
Original post by TerribleTej
You have more than enough time, exams are around 6 months away and you can easily finish one module every month (if you do 6-7 hours a day then you could do it in even a week). For FP1 and M2 if you get stuck I would suggest using examsolutions.net however for M3 you could post here and hope that one or two of those Mechanics veterans post here and help you out.

Brilliant, i will definitely go for it then! i may be taking it a bit far here... but how difficult is to to also self teach FP2 and FP3? if i could do that and something like S2 also, i could get the whole a level.

This may be a bit far though, i know there are resources available but i don't want to end up drowning!
I've done FP2, and it's relatively straight forward, although having a teacher on hand has been a very useful resource! S2 is quite similar to S1, but I still despise stats. Can't speak for FP3, but it's reckoned to be very difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Also - which of:

FP1
M2
M3
FP2
FP3
S2

Are A2 units?
Original post by JoshBedford
I've done FP2, and it's relatively straight forward, although having a teacher on hand has been a very useful resource! S2 is quite similar to S1, but I still despise stats. Can't speak for FP3, but it's reckoned to be very difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant, i will definitely go for it then! i may be taking it a bit far here... but how difficult is to to also self teach FP2 and FP3? if i could do that and something like S2 also, i could get the whole a level.

This may be a bit far though, i know there are resources available but i don't want to end up drowning!

Like Josh said FP2 isnt that hard so far (I have done the first two chapters is quite decent) but I do expect the difficulty to pick up soon. Also the dude in examsolutions.net also does online videos for FP2 so if you do get stuck it isn't a great problem just go to that website and watch his videos. Also like Josh said S2 is similar to S1 and for its fairly straight forward (haven't done it yet but I have read bits from the book which I found quite easy) and also the videos for them are available too incase you get stuck. FP3 is probably difficult but if you are very strong in core maths then it won't be much of a problem either.
Also - which of:

FP1
M2
M3
FP2
FP3
S2

Are A2 units?

All of them apart from FP1 are A2 units.
Reply 14
Original post by TerribleTej
Like Josh said FP2 isnt that hard so far (I have done the first two chapters is quite decent) but I do expect the difficulty to pick up soon. Also the dude in examsolutions.net also does online videos for FP2 so if you do get stuck it isn't a great problem just go to that website and watch his videos. Also like Josh said S2 is similar to S1 and for its fairly straight forward (haven't done it yet but I have read bits from the book which I found quite easy) and also the videos for them are available too incase you get stuck. FP3 is probably difficult but if you are very strong in core maths then it won't be much of a problem either.

Cool. I'm pretty strong with core maths but i'm not genius level or anything. Actually i'm pretty average lol.

So is fp2 not that much harder than C3/C4? Good to hear it's not totally impossible to self-teach.

Also - regarding the A2 unit thing, am i right in thinking you need to get 90+ums in any 3 units except FP1 for the A*?
Cool. I'm pretty strong with core maths but i'm not genius level or anything. Actually i'm pretty average lol.

So is fp2 not that much harder than C3/C4? Good to hear it's not totally impossible to self-teach.

Also - regarding the A2 unit thing, am i right in thinking you need to get 90+ums in any 3 units except FP1 for the A*?

FP2 is harder than C3/C4, how much harder it is it depends on the person.

And yes you need a 90% average in one of FP2 or FP3 and two of the other A2 modules apart from FP1
Reply 16
I mean i've on a gap year lol. Yeah controlled assesments are difficult as only a few colleges offer them - costing me over £400!

No i'm self teaching (see OP) are you planning on doing the same? i've found TSR to be dead useful

Oh no i meant are you entering the exam from your 6th form or elsewhere? and i'm in year 12, and don't want to pay, so will my current 6th form school enter me for the exam and controlled assessment without paying (not a private school, just normal public)?
Reply 17
Original post by theJdog
Oh no i meant are you entering the exam from your 6th form or elsewhere? and i'm in year 12, and don't want to pay, so will my current 6th form school enter me for the exam and controlled assessment without paying (not a private school, just normal public)?

Doing them at my old 6th form. I really don't know - you'll have to ask them really
Reply 18
Doing them at my old 6th form. I really don't know - you'll have to ask them really

Alright, thanks :biggrin: Is it too late to ask them or can they still do it?
Reply 19
It depends how good you are, basically. Last year I self taught A2 Maths, AS Further Maths and A2 Further maths while also studying two other A levels, and achieved A* in both maths and further math, so it's certainly doable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending