The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by KingKumar
You're either an idiot or have gotten confused between Oxford and Oxford Brookes.

Film, whatever, I know someone from college that is doing something along those lines at Oxford. Anyway I have nothing against such courses, everyone should be able to study whatever they want. I was just trying to counter the stupid argument being put forward here.
Reply 61
Original post by Blazinq
roughly 6k, but probably will go up more as she stays longer in her new role.

How much was she earning before?
So you multiply that by the number of years she stayed.

Then you divide that figure by 6000 to work out how many years it will take to "pay off" the uni debt.
Reply 62
Original post by PlsGimmeMBBS
The uni degree will not either if it is a mickey mouse one. And part of the reason, if uni will help, is BECAUSE there is so many degrees about - you need it for the competition.

I've been in contact with people from the police who say the degree will help me to gain my specific job in the police sector, I am also doing Criminology with Psychology.

But I would like to also say, I could totally disappear to wanting a job elsewhere and or furthering my studies, progressing onto a masters course and going to a top uni, say York, so therefore my degree would of helped me gain a place in York.

I also see where you're coming from (highlighted part) but people can, and will change there minds, so doing a pointless degree, let's say Media, could help you progress onto MSC/PhD and so on.
Reply 63
Original post by n00bfi
OP's post is so ironic I can't stop laughing.

What the OP's trying to say is to close lower ranked unis because they don't prepare you for a job, and prior to that mentions how some people work their butts off for Oxbridge degrees.

Hilarious oxymoron there, as Oxbridge is academic and does not in any way prepare you for a job/real life like other unis do. The only golden triangle uni that prepares you for life is Imperial College London.

All in all, to use Oxbridge as an example in the OP was a really bad idea lololol.

Ermm... nope. I know that Oxbridge is academic, but the reason is I appreciate that we need some kind of discriminator between people for jobs, and a degree can act as one even though it may be pretty useless. However, if we have to do that, I at least want people to have a degree to have worked their butts off for it.

Only ICL? Your post is making me laugh now.
Original post by Little Boots
Like classics is useless. Did the nice school people not fully explain the multiplicity and respectability of jobs you can get with a classics degree?

Exactly, Mayor of London, anyone?
Reply 65
Original post by tehforum
How much was she earning before?
So you multiply that by the number of years she stayed.

Then you divide that figure by 6000 to work out how many years it will take to "pay off" the uni debt.

Only 21k before, I'm not entirely sure what she's earning now but my estimation was 27k, but we're a lot better off than when we were before, though.
Reply 66
Original post by techno-thriller
Only maths,physics,chemistry,biology and medicine and engineering should be taught.

Okay, let's scrap economics so we have no one in our generation with the ability to understand economies so the world falls into a hideous mess 10x worse than what we have recently experienced.

While we're at that we might as well stop teaching computer science so no one is able to program computers.
Etc etc...

Sounds like a great idea mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
If someone wants to do a joke degree at a joke Uni, the joke's on them and all the more for you.

So why do you feel so threatened? It's their loss right?
Reply 68
Original post by Blazinq
Only 21k before, I'm not entirely sure what she's earning now but my estimation was 27k, but we're a lot better off than when we were before, though.

63k.

6k increase
10 years or so (assuming no increase in pay) to pay off the lost earnings in that period.

Not bad

oh forgot the cost of actual uni.

add 10k
73k= 12 years or so to pay off the lost earnings in that period.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by Blazinq
I've been in contact with people from the police who say the degree will help me to gain my specific job in the police sector, I am also doing Criminology with Psychology.

But I would like to also say, I could totally disappear to wanting a job elsewhere and or furthering my studies, progressing onto a masters course and going to a top uni, say York, so therefore my degree would of helped me gain a place in York.

I also see where you're coming from (highlighted part) but people can, and will change there minds, so doing a pointless degree, let's say Media, could help you progress onto MSC/PhD and so on.

So you are a smart chap. But it shouldn't be like this.
Reply 70
So you are a smart chap. But it shouldn't be like this.

not sure if sarcasm or not:confused:
Reply 71
Original post by beaver_tron
Exactly, Mayor of London, anyone?

Why don't you read my reply to this comment
Reply 72
Original post by tehforum
63k.

6k increase
10 years or so (assuming no increase in pay) to pay off the lost earnings in that period.

Not bad

oh forgot the cost of actual uni.

add 10k
73k= 12 years or so to pay off the lost earnings in that period.

Pay will most likely increase, or so I've heard to 30k at some point, whether that's next year, or in a few years.
Reply 73
Original post by Jjj90
Film, whatever, I know someone from college that is doing something along those lines at Oxford. Anyway I have nothing against such courses, everyone should be able to study whatever they want. I was just trying to counter the stupid argument being put forward here.

Yes, I understand your point but you can't support it on a fact you've just made up or are unsure about. There is no course at Oxford related to films or media.
Reply 74
But my dad done an engineering degree at a polytechnic back in the 1970's, and hes now on par with most engineers at the company, which is a major player in the engineering field. Although admittedly he has said thats mainly through experience. And that he rarely uses the scientific concepts that he learnt at university.
Reply 75
So is it the interest in the subject driving you, which would mean you would have sufficent motivation and dicipline to learn from a book, or the easier life and fun of uni?

Books can't explain everything as well as a teacher who understands the subject.
Reply 76
Original post by Blazinq
not sure if sarcasm or not:confused:

Not sarcasm lol, what you are doing is what I wanted to do if I didn't get into my current path.
Reply 77
Original post by Blazinq
Pay will most likely increase, or so I've heard to 30k at some point, whether that's next year, or in a few years.

Yeah, it was a good investment as she was guaranteed a pay increase.

Now its about job security, but if the economy picks up, she should be fine.
Reply 78
Not sarcasm lol, what you are doing is what I wanted to do if I didn't get into my current path.

What are you studying/done?

Don't you think Criminology is a mickey mouse degree? Heard a few people on these forums say it
Reply 79
Original post by Blazinq
What are you studying/done?

Don't you think Criminology is a mickey mouse degree? Heard a few people on these forums say it

By their username, Medicine.

MBBS stands for Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery.

And I assume they don't even have a degree yet, let alone being on a Medicine course at a Uni. In reality, they're probably an aspiring A level student.

And a naive one too.

Latest