The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil Real Estate Finance 2014

Have not seen a thread for Cambridge MPhil REF 2014 entry. Figured I'll start one here. I've recently applied for this course. Any of you guys know when Cambridge normally starts giving out conditional offers for this course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Based on my review of what occured last year, students waited till June until they heard from the school...It was not clear whether or not that included conditional offers. It couldn't have.

By chance, do you know what a the GPA equivalent of a High 2:1 is? I have a 3.64 from the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, California. I am still trying to figure out how that is viewed in the UK. Any idea?
Reply 2
Original post by rgordon8081

By chance, do you know what a the GPA equivalent of a High 2:1 is? I have a 3.64 from the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, California. I am still trying to figure out how that is viewed in the UK. Any idea?

Usually 3.5 is viewed as a 2:1 and 3.7 as a first. These are not hard and fast - apparently UCL deems 3.3 as equivalent to a 2:1, but most unis seem to go for 3.5. Either way you should be fine.
Reply 3
What about students with an MSc already? Would they even consider ones with a merit MSc? (More specifically from UCL)
Reply 4
Original post by kkanzi
Have not seen a thread for Cambridge MPhil REF 2014 entry. Figured I'll start one here. I've recently applied for this course. Any of you guys know when Cambridge normally starts giving out conditional offers for this course?

Have you applied to other Master's in Real Estate ?
Reply 5
Hi Guys, was offered a conditional place a few weeks ago. Still waiting to hear back from colleges though, anybody know how long this is likely to take? Has anybody heard from colleges yet? Thanks
Reply 6
Hi snackerjack,
Congrats on your offer. When did you submit your application? Also, do you mind sharing your profile and the requirements of your conditional offer? Not too sure when the colleges will get back to you. I've seen varying answers all over the forums with regards to this issue.
Reply 7
Congrats snackerjack!

I am still finishing my application. :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by snackerjack
Hi Guys, was offered a conditional place a few weeks ago. Still waiting to hear back from colleges though, anybody know how long this is likely to take? Has anybody heard from colleges yet? Thanks

Hi snackerjack,
Congrats on your offer!! I'm also preparing to apply this program, but maybe I can complete the app by 15 Feb.
I know the deadline is 15th March, do you think it is too late to complete the app by 15th Feb... Also, I'm writing the PS now, just wondering how many interns you mention in you PS, are they all about the Real estate finance? And another problem is I just got 2:1 degree in UK, not high 2:1. Do you think I still have the chance?? A bit worried about that...

Reply 9
Original post by shiranliu
Hi snackerjack,
And another problem is I just got 2:1 degree in UK, not high 2:1. Do you think I still have the chance?? A bit worried about that...

They say:

"The following criteria apply to all our postgraduate courses:

A first class degree or very high 2:1 or equivalent from a reputable academic institution;
Mark transcripts should be provided for all previous or ongoing courses as far as they are available. Mark transcripts should show consistent academic excellence;

"

So to be blunt, yes you should be worried. The above basically says that a very high 2:1 is the minimum grades requirement.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi Guys,

I submitted my application towards the end of November and heard back on December 18th, with a college response a few weeks ago. My offer is conditional on achieving a first, along with meeting financial conditions and attending the pre-term quantitative course.

I did have some RE experience, but predominately non real estate internships within IB and investment management.
I think the best bet is reading the department’s website as thoroughly as possible as it’s very helpful.
Reply 11
Hi Snackerjack,

I was wondering what are you currently doing, like are you doing undergraduate now? I have applied to the similar course and i have submitted earlier november. Up to this stage, my status now is 'under department consideration'. So any idea or suggestion on what should i do?
Reply 12
Hi matin.ngcl, I checked forums for 2012/2013 entry for this course and from what I have gathered, it seems that most people have had their application status changing during april. The application deadline is the 15th March so we should hear back from them pretty soon.
Also it seems that most people who called the Graduate Admissions Office were answered nothing but wait so that's probably the only thing you can do.
Best of luck with your application !
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Is anyone getting updates about their application?
Reply 14
no update. though i applied probably the day b4 the deadline.
Reply 15
I called them four days ago and they said we should expect most offers to be made during May. I applied in november, it takes so long !
Reply 16
do you think this course is good? i mean, i like the curriculum and all, but with an admission rate of ~50%, i have to question what proportion of the class can actually find a job afterwards
Reply 17
Seriously the admission rate of 1/2? Wow.
Reply 18
Hi, I spoke with a student who did his undergrad at Cambridge in Land Economy and currently doing the the Mphil in Real Estate Finance. According to him, real estate companies are always on campus recruiting. They really provide good opportunities and most of them are attracted by the Uni reputation.
Land economy has quite a terrible reputation at Cambridge but the Mphil is supposed to be really good. It is definitely not the best course you can do at there but if you look at other courses available in the UK, it is surely the best for Real Estate.

Hope that helps,

Paul
hey guys, I am currently a MSc International Real Estate and Planning student at UCL and applied for this MPhil program. I applied on the very last date so have not got a reply from Cambridge so far.

I was just wondering if anyone else has received offers or rejections so far except Snackerjack..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending