The Student Room Group

Smart-casual dress code for interview

Next week I have an interview at University with a "smart-casual" dress code. Now, I'm a bit confused as to what to wear as it seems a bit broad, if anyone could help me that would be great. I was originally thinking black chinos with a shirt etc. But, would black jeans be allowed? and what shoes are generally acceptable. I'm a bit confused aha :confused:
Original post by podrodow1
Next week I have an interview at University with a "smart-casual" dress code. Now, I'm a bit confused as to what to wear as it seems a bit broad, if anyone could help me that would be great. I was originally thinking black chinos with a shirt etc. But, would black jeans be allowed? and what shoes are generally acceptable. I'm a bit confused aha :confused:

To be safe (although some will break this ) no suit (non-matching jacket and trousers permissible), no jeans, no tie under 35, no trainers.
Reply 2
Original post by nulli tertius
To be safe (although some will break this ) no suit (non-matching jacket and trousers permissible), no jeans, no tie under 35, no trainers.

?
Reply 3
Original post by nulli tertius

Ok, so would school sort of shoes be acceptable?
Original post by tehforum
?

A mature man in a sports jacket and tie will not look out of place. A young one will look overdressed.
Ok, so would school sort of shoes be acceptable?

Yes.
Smart casual seems like such a tricky thing to dress for :erm:
Next week I have an interview at University with a "smart-casual" dress code.

what university and course has a dress code for interview? I'm supposing business or medicine. When I recall the state of the lecturers when I went for interview, you'd have to suppose the dress code for their side of it was "egg in beard" with matching socks optional and perhaps thought an eccentricity.

Wear what you want. **** 'em. If they're going to be influenced by what you wear, you mightn't want to be going there, and this not merely on point of principle.
Reply 8
I'd say formal shoes (school shoes are fine), chinos/trousers (no jeans, school trousers would do, but they don't have to be black/grey), a shirt (could be colourful, but not over the top) and a nice jumper/cardigan on top seeing as it's cold.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest