The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Advice on what to pack for studying abroad at the University of Edinburgh

I'm studying abroad at the University of Edinburgh this upcoming spring and we're supposed to limit the luggage we bring to a carry-on, a small suitcase and a large backpack. I'm trying to figure out what clothes I need to pack but I live in Texas so I don't really own any winter clothing. I've heard that it's extremely cold and rains quite often so I'm planning on buying a winter coat and a rain jacket but I was wondering if y'all had any other suggestions.
Reply 1
Hi!

Edinburgh does get very cold but we also have very changeable weather throughout the day, especially in Spring and Autumn. It's a good idea to wear light layers so you can take some off if it gets a little warmer, so getting a raincoat that will also work as a light jacket might be a good idea. Things like a thin fleece or tops that you can layer together will be useful. A good winter coat will still be pretty essential though since you'll be here in January and February. I hope that's helped a little bit!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by breabone
I'm studying abroad at the University of Edinburgh this upcoming spring and we're supposed to limit the luggage we bring to a carry-on, a small suitcase and a large backpack. I'm trying to figure out what clothes I need to pack but I live in Texas so I don't really own any winter clothing. I've heard that it's extremely cold and rains quite often so I'm planning on buying a winter coat and a rain jacket but I was wondering if y'all had any other suggestions.

You're likely to find it very cold indeed after Texas. Instead of loading up your luggage though, I'd buy stuff when you get here. H&M and Primark will see you togged up for the local climate for a very reasonable sum of money.

Quick Reply