The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Has anybody got offers from Lancaster for Biology/Biological Sciences?

I'm aware their entry requirements are AAB, and my predictions are ABB. I'm not sure whether it's worth applying there or not for that reason so did anybody get offers of ABB or lower by any chance?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Magenta96
I'm aware their entry requirements are AAB, and my predictions are ABB. I'm not sure whether it's worth applying their or not for that reason so did anybody get offers of ABB or lower by any chance?

Hi I applied to lancaster last year and managed to get a place for next year if that makes sense (Deferred entry). I applied for the Biological Sciences with a year abroad which was AAA even though my predicted grades were AAB. In the end turned out I only got ABC but lancaster still gave me a place on the study abroad course :biggrin: so you should be fine! :smile:

They'll probably still offer you AAB though not ABB
(edited 10 years ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jozie_
Hi I applied to lancaster last year and managed to get a place for next year if that makes sense (Deferred entry). I applied for the Biological Sciences with a year abroad which was AAA even though my predicted grades were AAB. In the end turned out I only got ABC but lancaster still gave me a place on the study abroad course :biggrin: so you should be fine! :smile:

They'll probably still offer you AAB though not ABB

oh wow that's so encouraging, well done! That's like my DREAM course but I thought they wouldn't even consider me. I always thought the study abroad course especially would be really strict and just say bye to me if I got a grade below or something. I could definitely get myself predicted AAB if I asked which I haven't tried yet I guess. Do you have any advice into getting them to accept me if I also get ABB/ABC? Thank you! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
oh wow that's so encouraging, well done! That's like my DREAM course. I always thought the study abroad course especially would be really strict and just say bye to me if I got a grade below or something. I could get myself predicted AAB if I asked which I haven't tried yet I guess. Do you have any specific tips into getting them to accept me if I under-achieve? (which I'll obviously try my hardest to prevent). Thank you! :smile:

Aww, well, I think maybe applying deferred entry helps cause then there's less competition. Mind you, you're the first person i've found on TSR applying for biosciences at lancaster so looks like there's barely any competition at all haha! XD Out of all my friends I only knew 1 person that applied to lancaster which is a shame cause it's a really good uni. :frown:

Umm I guess it's good to tailor your personal statement towards the course. Like, I chose lancaster because they didn't need maths or chemistry Alevels and i'm crap at both (Got a D in AS maths and dropped chemistry before xmas in my first year) so it's obviously not that maths and chemistry based so I talked more about ecology and plants and ting in my PS. I think maybe that stood out a bit as everyone usually talks about human biology.

I also got a B in gen studies and I think lancaster do actually accept general studies if it's 1 of 4 Alevels so really I got ABBC. Oh and I got a high A in AS environmental studies and they have that fancy new environment centre there so maybe that helped. What subjects are you taking atm? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by jozie_
Aww, well, I think maybe applying deferred entry helps cause then there's less competition. Mind you, you're the first person i've found on TSR applying for biosciences at lancaster so looks like there's barely any competition at all haha! XD Out of all my friends I only knew 1 person that applied to lancaster which is a shame cause it's a really good uni. :frown:

Umm I guess it's good to tailor your personal statement towards the course. Like, I chose lancaster because they didn't need maths or chemistry Alevels and i'm crap at both (Got a D in AS maths and dropped chemistry before xmas in my first year) so it's obviously not that maths and chemistry based so I talked more about ecology and plants and ting in my PS. I think maybe that stood out a bit as everyone usually talks about human biology.

I also got a B in gen studies and I think lancaster do actually accept general studies if it's 1 of 4 Alevels so really I got ABBC. Oh and I got a high A in AS environmental studies and they have that fancy new environment centre there so maybe that helped. What subjects are you taking atm? :smile:

Right now I'm taking A2's in biology, chemistry and English literature, with chemistry and English literature being my strongest. I got ABBB at AS with my A being in AS maths (which I dropped because it was quite difficult!). The other B's are quite close to A's so I think I'll resit one or two exams. I think my personal statement is okay-ish, I've talked about my interest in infection and disease (so I could link it to my pharmacy work experience), and written a few lines on my love for plants lol. :smile:

I also think Lancaster is an amazing university, I think most people just forget about it, it's quite high up in the overall league tables for all subjects in general and is in the top 10 for Biological Sciences!
Reply 5
Right now I'm taking A2's in biology, chemistry and English literature, with chemistry and English literature being my strongest. I got ABBB at AS with my A being in AS maths (which I dropped because it was quite difficult!). The other B's are quite close to A's so I think I'll resit one or two exams. I think my personal statement is okay-ish, I've talked about my interest in infection and disease (so I could link it to my pharmacy work experience), and written a few lines on my love for plants lol. :smile:

I also think Lancaster is an amazing university, I think most people just forget about it, it's quite high up in the overall league tables for all subjects in general and is in the top 10 for Biological Sciences!

Yeah exactly! It was even higher last year but oh well. I don't know what you're worried about tbh it sounds like you should be able to get in easy. :smile: See if you can get your predictions up to AAB or even AAA and apply for the abroad course. You might aswell because lancaster usually send you a separate offer of AAB for the plain biological sciences course aswell as the AAA offer for the abroad one. There's still time too. I sent mine application off the end of November last year and they gave me an offer middle of january I think. So good luck, sit tight and revise early. (unlike me lol) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :smile: :crossedf:
Reply 6
Thank you for your very useful advice! I'm now going to chase my teachers up in within the next 2 days to make them predict me AAB at the lowest & then apply for my abroad course which I wouldn't have even considered if you hadn't told me your story so thanks again. :smile: Also do all universities end up sending offers for the abroad course AND biosciences course without the abroad year, or is this just Lancaster specifically?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
You're welcome :smile: and I can't help you on that I'm afraid. :/ I considered applying for the sheffield abroad course aswell but just went for the plain one in the end cause I thought applying for 2 AAA courses was a bit out of my reach - lancaster was my risky one! XD Try asking on other biology threads or just email your chosen uni's and ask :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by jozie_
You're welcome :smile: and I can't help you on that I'm afraid. :/ I considered applying for the sheffield abroad course aswell but just went for the plain one in the end cause I thought applying for 2 AAA courses was a bit out of my reach - lancaster was my risky one! XD Try asking on other biology threads or just email your chosen uni's and ask :smile:

Ok, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending