The Student Room Group

Occupation Health Check - Mental Health Nursing

Hi, I'm hoping to go to university next year to study mental health nursing. I am however extremely anxious that something will come up in the occupational health check which will take away my chances of getting in next year. I know that they do the checks after they have accepted you, but I'm worried that they will then take my place away when they find more out about me. What is the Occupational Health Check? Ive seen one thing where they have a form which they get your GP to fill in, is this the case for all universities? What I am most concerned about is I have experienced some severe issues with my mental health around 7 months ago, which are now under control, I feel so much better and am currently studying an Access course to get me ready for university, but I'm worried that when they find this out, they will tell me I can't do it for a certain length of time after I experienced my problem. I've heard some courses say that you need to have had a clear history from mental health problems for at least 18 months by the time the course starts, which when I get round to it, it will have been about 16 months for me. I would be absolutely gutted if I couldn't get in next year, so if anyone knows from experience that could put my mind at rest I would be so grateful. Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
It appears OH will get further information from your psychiatrist or GP or mental health professional. I thought for nursing it had to be 3 years clear, but I can't remember. What I do know is the NHS is favourable to those who have had mental health problems. I was in a mental health ward in 1995, but got on a course to do OT in 1996.

Have a read of this
Reply 2
Hi, I have since spoken with an application admin from one of the universities who has told me that as long as I'm fine and have been for the coming months up until the occupational check, that there would be no reason that I would get turned away. However they did say that if I had any problems over the next year, I would have my place taken away OR they would defer it for a year, as long as I kept regular health checks with the occupational health assessor to ensure that my health was OK. I am aware that I wouldn't be able to work in the hospital that I was a patient in, however that would not be a problem as I won't be living anywhere near it. I have been told to be open about my experience and told that they are desirable of those who can recognise their limits and know when to ask for help. I think that if anyone else has any worries about anything like this they should speak to the administration team for nursing at the uni that they want to go to, just send them an email or give them a call, and I'm sure they would be happy to discuss any concerns with you.
Reply 3
I'm doing adult nursing, but I think it all works in the same way in terms of fitness to practise.

I have mental health problems and disclosed them when I applied. I got through OH fine. I have since relapsed and the uni have been nothing less than fully supportive. I have had to postpone my first placement for now but am continuing with the academic work. If after Christmas I feel unable to return, I’ve been given the option of leaving or having a medical leave until September, or next January if I get all the credits I need this semester. My tutor has been wonderful about it and has helped me to ensure that I am getting the appropriate support from services both within and outside of uni (and even offered to bring me some stuff when I was in hospital bless her!) Hopefully you won’t end up in that situation, but if you do then it doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t continue
Reply 4
I've received an offer from Manchester and i've also got an occupational health check form from them too. It asks if you've ever seen any mental health professionals (or something along those lines). I'm under the care of camhs currently and I was wondering if any of you know if I would have to tell them this because I don't want it to go against me?
Reply 5
Original post by hanna_h
I've received an offer from Manchester and i've also got an occupational health check form from them too. It asks if you've ever seen any mental health professionals (or something along those lines). I'm under the care of camhs currently and I was wondering if any of you know if I would have to tell them this because I don't want it to go against me?

yes you do need to tell them. Part of being a nurse is that you are honest and trustworthy, so lying on an application form is not the way to go! Plus your GP has to verify any medical information that you give and it would come up them. I presume you've read the above posts, OH isn't there to catch you out, it's there to support you and ultimately to ensure patient safety.
This will be one of my big worries when I apply to uni next year! Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Be open be honest. They are not looking to exclude you only to check you are fit to work as a mental health nurse and allow them to provide you with anything you may need to aid your completion of the course. Just be really honest so long as you are fit to work then it will in no way affect your application however dishonesty will. This applies to all the health courses!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by lilibet01
yes you do need to tell them. Part of being a nurse is that you are honest and trustworthy, so lying on an application form is not the way to go! Plus your GP has to verify any medical information that you give and it would come up them. I presume you've read the above posts, OH isn't there to catch you out, it's there to support you and ultimately to ensure patient safety.

Thank you :smile: i'm just scared that they're going to think I wont be able to cope with the demands of the course or something like that.
Reply 9
Hi, i'm not sure if anyone will reply to this but i've just got my occupational health check form back from the doctors and he's put that i've suffered from an eating disorder and I ticked the box to say that I didn't. (I honestly didn't think I had an eating disorder because camhs haven't really made anything clear to me). Will it look bad if I tick the box now and change it? I'm worried that its gonna make me look like i'm lying when I honestly don't know what to put.
Original post by hanna_h
Hi, i'm not sure if anyone will reply to this but i've just got my occupational health check form back from the doctors and he's put that i've suffered from an eating disorder and I ticked the box to say that I didn't. (I honestly didn't think I had an eating disorder because camhs haven't really made anything clear to me). Will it look bad if I tick the box now and change it? I'm worried that its gonna make me look like i'm lying when I honestly don't know what to put.

If they want to query it then you will have chance to explain yourself and you'll be fine! You would always be given the opportunity to justify yourself! Try not to worry about it!
Is this just for mental health nursing? I've recently been diagnosed with an eating disorder but want to become a paediatric nurse? Wondered if the same rules applied
I had an OH check for my application to University of Manchester for MH Nursing, although I didn't end up going there anyway.

I told them about my previous mental health problems, and they asked for a letter from my GP to support and sign my OH questionnaire I had to fill out, to make sure everything on there was correct. I then had to physically go in for an appointment and he did the colour-blindness and sight test and everything etc. but during he said he was assessing me on my behaviours and my mental health too. He said he could see I was stable and not suffering from any further issues, but would still be provided with full support during my Nursing course to prevent any further relapses or issues.

I thought this was lovely for them to see I was okay and believe me, but offer and provide support just in case and in order for me to get the most out of my course without causing more stress and issues for me.

I think if you're honest and open with them, they can support you along your way and keep an eye on you but you still get to get on with your course:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending