The Student Room Group

Do I count as a home student or international student?

Hi, I'm currently filling in my personal details for my UCAS registration and was confused as to what to put for my residential status and permanent home and address.
My circumstances are as follows; I've lived in Ghana my whole life and was born there, my dad is English and my mum is from Ghana, but I have a British passport where i'm listed as being a British Citizen, I also have a Ghanaian passport. I recently moved to England in September 2012 to play football and study at the same time, I live there with a host family.

So my questions are;
- For wether my permanent home is in the UK should I put yes or no even though it's a host family but my passport gives me the right to live in the UK without a visa?
- Where should I put my area of residence?
- My residential category?
- Should I select Private finance for student support?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by johnny2face2
Hi, I'm currently filling in my personal details for my UCAS registration and was confused as to what to put for my residential status and permanent home and address.
My circumstances are as follows; I've lived in Ghana my whole life and was born there, my dad is English and my mum is from Ghana, but I have a British passport where i'm listed as being a British Citizen, I also have a Ghanaian passport. I recently moved to England in September 2012 to play football and study at the same time, I live there with a host family.

So my questions are;
- For wether my permanent home is in the UK should I put yes or no even though it's a host family but my passport gives me the right to live in the UK without a visa?
- Where should I put my area of residence?
- My residential category?
- Should I select Private finance for student support?

Unfortunately student finance is based on residency, not nationality. You would need to have been in the UK for three years prior to starting your course, but the primary reason for being in the UK cannot be your education. Moving to the UK for football and study and living with a host family is likely to be seen as you being here primarily for education.

So, you'll be classed as an international student I'm afraid. The only way around this would be if you were to stay in the UK for three years after you finish your current studies, get a job etc., and become eligible that way.
have you realised you have two of the same thread?
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
Unfortunately student finance is based on residency, not nationality. You would need to have been in the UK for three years prior to starting your course, but the primary reason for being in the UK cannot be your education. Moving to the UK for football and study and living with a host family is likely to be seen as you being here primarily for education.

So, you'll be classed as an international student I'm afraid. The only way around this would be if you were to stay in the UK for three years after you finish your current studies, get a job etc., and become eligible that way.

Thank you for the reply, I was going to put my first date of entry to the UK as last year anyways, so just to make sure I should not answer yes to wether I'm a permanent residence?
Also even though it's not required would it be best to put my Ghana address as my home address even though I don't currently live there or plan to go back to live there any time soon?

What OB says is correct unless your father is a British diplomat or one of a few other types of posted workers.
Reply 5
Original post by chocolatesauce
have you realised you have two of the same thread?

There's a duplicate of my thread?
Reply 6
Original post by nulli tertius
What OB says is correct unless your father is a British diplomat or one of a few other types of posted workers.

I guess i'll just have to apply as an international student.
Thank you for the reply, I was going to put my first date of entry to the UK as last year anyways, so just to make sure I should not answer yes to wether I'm a permanent residence?
Also even though it's not required would it be best to put my Ghana address as my home address even though I don't currently live there or plan to go back to live there any time soon?

I'm afraid that I'm not familiar enough with the minutiae of the forms to tell you, but I've moved your thread to Student Financial Support where hopefully someone else will be.
Reply 8
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm afraid that I'm not familiar enough with the minutiae of the forms to tell you, but I've moved your thread to Student Financial Support where hopefully someone else will be.

Ok, thank you for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending