The Student Room Group

Is it normal for my friends to constantly laugh at me??

Scroll to see replies

No, it is NOT normal! Yes, shouty capitals were needed to stressed on that. These people are not even your "friends" to begin with, find new people to hang out with as these individuals are clearly very immature and insensitive.
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
Hi im just trying to get some advice really. Im in my second year at uni. Im sick to death of always being put down laughed at or mocked out by my friends. I live with my friends of campus and its just getting unbearable

I know im not particularly clever im severely dyspraxic which means half the time I get my words muddled up or say the wrong thing. Im pretty clumsy and I know that I lack any common sense. I struggle in social situations at the best of times usually I just panick and cant speak or say something silly but recently the only topic of conversation my housemates seem to have is me. They take the mick out of me constantly in front of other people its not just laughing at stupid things ive done its everything. They call me thick and stupid in front of other people.

They laugh at me behind my back sometimes when I come into the room and they are hysterically laughing I ask what there laughing at and they say me. They make out to everybody im some stupid idiot, they patronise me they talk over me and tell me I don't understand. The girl I live with just expects me to pay x amount per month for bills and when I ask to see bills she says I wouldn't get it its beyond my capacity.

Another example was last night the girls boyfriend is staying and he wore my glasses and said we had the same ones so I said great minds think alike trying to be jokey and he said he wouldn't want my mind because im thick. To which the all hysterically laughed about for the rest of the night. WHen I was cutting up some chicken for my dinner when people were round they took the knife of me incase I' hurt myself'. They even take the piss out of me and my boyfriends sex life they say im to innocent and I don't understand!.

Ive snapped a few times and said im not stupid but I am just in despair as its always those 2 against me then their friends and partners joining in. I never blow my own trumpet I never mention the fact that I got A levels far higher than them or that Im doing a law degree im not stupid I know im not thick but I don't know how to handle the situation. I feel so depressed at uni I just want to cry and go home. Any advice would be great

they arent worth it, at the end of the day it is you with your degree and the prospect of getting a job

we'll see who gets the last laugh
Reply 22
they arent worth it u can alwayz make new friendz!
Those so called 'friends' have an absolutely terrible attitude that they execute around your presence, for which you should not tolerate because they are being horrible towards you, not treating you in a equal manner as they would to anyone else.
You shall not waste your precious time and energy towards these cruel people, you're better than that and you shall escape their presence.
Mark my words OP.
Reply 24
They probably have their own insecurities if they constantly need to remind you that you're "stupid." Friends don't try to belittle or bully you, they're disgusting excuses for human beings. I'd take two things from this situation: use their words as motivation to do the best you can in your degree, and try to move out from this negative energy. I think you mentioned having a boyfriend? Ask him if where he lives have any free rooms perhaps.
Reply 25
Sounds like you are going through something horrible, it's like mental torture. Think at some point you just need to accept you have met some of the worst people and move on, you cannot call these people friends. If you can move in with your boyfriend as others have mentioned try that, you have not replied to any posts nice to see how you will choose to tackle it.

In future choose who you associate with very carefully, don't just settle or put up with a group you live with. Some people don't need so many friends because let's face it as someone already mentioned many people are just energy drainers. So try surrounding yourself with positive people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Your so called friends sound like dicks. I would would physically and mentally destroy them.
Reply 27
How have you not kicked the shît out of one of them yet?
Not normal at all.

On my course we are all pretty friendly and we are terrible to each other (truly horrible) but in the nicest possible way, there is a massive difference between friends taking the piss out of each other and ganging up on someone who isn't up for it.
**** on their face every time they laugh at you, might get a little taste of themselves
They're scumbags, ditch 'em.
Don't let them grind you down. Firstly these people are not your friends. You must learn to be alone and not be lonely. You are the most important person in your life. Try to arrange different accommodation in 3rd year. Getting a place on your own and learning to live by yourself makes you a stronger person. Remember that there are billions of people in the World. We all share the same emotions and there are always people who will try to put you down, which is always born out of insecurity. The important thing to remember is that you will make real grown up friends when university is over.
Whats with these necro posts
I wonder if OP's friends are still laughing now?
I would not have friends like that I would just tell them that you are smarter that them and pray for them kind of people and find new friends and leave them alone like now because they will just bring you down more and more every day because I had a husband that did me something like what you are going through and he made me feel so bad that I gain a lot of weight and lost my self-esteem and then one day a friend told me that I don't need that in my life because I am a better person then that so I left him and now I am much better .
(edited 5 years ago)
I would not have friends like that I would just tell them that you are smarter that them and pray for them could of people and find new friends and leave them alone like now because they will just bring you down more and more every day ok .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending