The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Nursing at Northumbria - tests

Hi, I am in the process of doing my UCAS form for adult nursing at Northumbria and Teesside, just wondering about the tests. Teesside dont allow you to use calculators during the numeracy test but on northumbria's website it doesnt mention anything. It seems some do allow them, others dont. Also - how did you find them and are there any good resources to help you brush up on numeracy/literacy skills. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The test at Teesside is almost the same as the sample test they send you, very simple really, nothing too challenging. i think there may be a link to the sample test on Tees website. you don't need to use a calculator and you can use the sheet to show your working out.
As far as I'm aware you are only doing a written test based on a video you watch at Northumbria. i don't have any experience of this so someone else may have other info on this.
good luck
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
I'm a new nursing student at Northumbria this year. When I had my interview last year there was no numeracy test just a simple literacy exercise. It's not something you should need to revise for if you know how to write in English and understand the role of the nurse.

I had applied for Teeside as well and was offered an interview. Like wahwah1810 said the sample numeracy test I got sent looked pretty simple. I was offered a place by Northumbria before the interview though so I didn't go.
Reply 3
Original post by PurpleZoombini
I'm a new nursing student at Northumbria this year. When I had my interview last year there was no numeracy test just a simple literacy exercise. It's not something you should need to revise for if you know how to write in English and understand the role of the nurse.

I had applied for Teeside as well and was offered an interview. Like wahwah1810 said the sample numeracy test I got sent looked pretty simple. I was offered a place by Northumbria before the interview though so I didn't go.

hi i have an interview at northumbria for adult nursing in 2 weeks. any advice? don't want nerves to get the better of me :smile:
Original post by wahwah1810
hi i have an interview at northumbria for adult nursing in 2 weeks. any advice? don't want nerves to get the better of me :smile:

I was for mental health rather than Adult but I think the format is basically the same. It's designed to be quite relaxed and informal. Just remember what you said on your personal statement about why you want to be a nurse and why an Adult nurse in particular. Also read up on issues effecting nursing practice and the NHS today. Listen and look engaged while the others in the group are speaking and build on what they say but don't monopolise the conversation.

I'm sure you'll be fine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Is there only a group discussion or is there a 1-2-1 also??? any help would be great thanks:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by kr1989
Is there only a group discussion or is there a 1-2-1 also??? any help would be great thanks:smile:

According to the website, it mentions only a literacy test, a group interview then a personal interview, i dont know how many tutors are involved in the interview process though. hope this helps
Reply 7
Hi Sparkles, I had my interview yesterday. There's no maths test just a written exercise where you answer one question. There's a group and an individual interview which is all very informal and really nothing to get too worried about :smile: good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hi i have interview at Northumbria on 7th Feb and Teesside on 11th. Northumbria is my first choice i think though still waiting to hear from York. :smile: good luck everyone!
Reply 9
Original post by beck95
Hi i have interview at Northumbria on 7th Feb and Teesside on 11th. Northumbria is my first choice i think though still waiting to hear from York. :smile: good luck everyone!

Hey I have an interview on the 16th for Northumbria, which building was your interview in just as I never received the initial letter and the university hasn't gotten back to me yet getting worried with it being so near haha. Hope your interview went well though!
Reply 10
Original post by Danielleweb
Hey I have an interview on the 16th for Northumbria, which building was your interview in just as I never received the initial letter and the university hasn't gotten back to me yet getting worried with it being so near haha. Hope your interview went well though!

Hi Danielle when I had my interview my letter said to go to the main reception on coach lane campus, but then all of us who were there were taken over to the building across the road for the interview (not sure why) but I'd get there early just in case the same thing happens to you! Good luck with it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Danielleweb

Hi i have not had interview yet it's on 7th Feb :smile: I know it's at coach lane campus east though :smile: good luck!
Reply 12
Hi
Can I ask when you sent your UCAS application off as there are a few of us on an access course received rejects and interviews and others have heard nothing ? just trying to work out how they are prioritising interviews ,TIA
Reply 13
Hi i sent my UCAS off at the end of November and received offer of interview about 3 weeks later. All universities are different. Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by eliroomel
Hi
Can I ask when you sent your UCAS application off as there are a few of us on an access course received rejects and interviews and others have heard nothing ? just trying to work out how they are prioritising interviews ,TIA

Hi I sent mine on 18th Oct and they got back to me on 3rd Dec with my interview date (7th Jan) x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beck95

Hi, I've got an interview at Northumbria on the 7th Feb too. Good Luck​!
Reply 16
Original post by amygthompsonx
Hi, I've got an interview at Northumbria on the 7th Feb too. Good Luck​!

Ohh good luck too! =)
Reply 17
Hi I also have an interview on 7th Feb, is everyone else as nervous as me? Also ashhutch is there anything we can do to prepare ourselves more?Thanks
Original post by Kerano13
Hi I also have an interview on 7th Feb, is everyone else as nervous as me? Also ashhutch is there anything we can do to prepare ourselves more?Thanks

Hi, I'm not that nervous cause I did it last year, there's a little written activity but it's not bad at all :smile: just look at recent nursing news x
Reply 19
Original post by amygthompsonx
Hi, I'm not that nervous cause I did it last year, there's a little written activity but it's not bad at all :smile: just look at recent nursing news x

Thanks for the quick response, I am on the BBC news website regularly and I also work for the NHS. Just a tad nervous as iv done as much as I can to get this far x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending