The Student Room Group

Web designer/developer

Hello,
I'm a year 11 student and deciding to be a web developer. But could someone tell me what courses I should take In sixth form or college?

Thanks.:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Computing. IT if your college has no computing (IT is not very good though).
Reply 2
Original post by elohssa
Computing. IT if your college has no computing (IT is not very good though).

This, and maths. If they have IT don't take it.

Note that no universities ask for a computing A-level for computer science, if that's what you want to do. They always like furthur maths though
Reply 3
So if I do web developer I will need maths and computing only?
Reply 4
Original post by Zodak

There is a destinct difference between a web developer and a web designer.

If you want to design and create websites you want to be a designer. If you want to develop back end programs interacting with databases, create sites with interchgangable content, create applications online, or anything of that nature you'll be looking at web development.

If you want to be a developer, Computing and Maths are relevant. However, if you want to be a designer just take something arty and teach yourself HTML + CSS.
Reply 5
Original post by Cal97g

Not if you want a job in the real world, there isn't.
Original post by Zodak

For Computing / Computer Science at Degree level, yep. Further Maths is nice, but is less important than Computing if you can take it.

Original post by Cal97g

If you want to design and create websites you want to be a designer. If you want to develop back end programs interacting with databases, create sites with interchgangable content, create applications online, or anything of that nature you'll be looking at web development.

If you want to be a developer, Computing and Maths are relevant. However, if you want to be a designer just take something arty and teach yourself HTML + CSS.

You can get a job as a developer or designer with a CS degree.
I recommend this tutorial to anyone and everyone who wants to be a web developer

http://www.subcide.com/articles/creating-a-css-layout-from-scratch/

CodeAcademy is a nice site too
Reply 8
Definitely recommend a computing A-level. It might not be required for university, but at least if you change your mind it about web design/development, it won't be too late at a-level stage. ^_^
I take the IT BTEC and we do a few web design and web development units, but the computing course does also and as A-Levels are more respected I'd do that. It's also far more interesting. With IT, you're stuck with business related units too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by iainvg

Interesting.

I didn't design the sites I've developed but then again my job is not exclusively web development.

Can you be employed as a dedicated web developer or designer these days or must you have aptitude for both ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by INTit
Interesting.

I didn't design the sites I've developed but then again my job is not exclusively web development.

Can you be employed as a dedicated web developer or designer these days or must you have aptitude for both ?

In Manchester, I have personally seen jobs for both combined, and for each separate - but all of them have a requirement of CS degree or equivalent.
Original post by rmhumphries
In Manchester, I have personally seen jobs for both combined, and for each separate - but all of them have a requirement of CS degree or equivalent.

Do you think CS helps you become a better programmer (than you would otherwise have been by simply practicing to code?
Original post by beepbeeprichie
Do you think CS helps you become a better programmer (than you would otherwise have been by simply practicing to code?

I think CS can certainly help you learn good practices, and ways of coding - which you may not learn by teaching yourself.
Original post by beepbeeprichie

You could say the same thing for art, music, drama or any other subject. The whole point of qualifications is to prove you know what you're doing.
Reply 14
Original post by iainvg

I'm going to have to call odds on that and put it out there that many companies and small businesses especially ask specifically for a front-end or back-end web developer.
Reply 15
Original post by INTit
Interesting.

In my experience you can be employed as both as well as one or the other. I've freelanced a bit doing both and have just outsourced the Photoshop bit on peopleperhour and sliced then coded it myself :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by iainvg

You sound like you're not particularly talented at either design and implementation or back end development.

If you're better than most at either, you won't have to do both.

/thread
Reply 17
Original post by iainvg

There really is. Any company worth its salt hires front-end devs, back-end devs and designers as completely distinct professions (with perhaps some overlap between front-end and design).
Original post by Planto
There really is. Any company worth its salt hires front-end devs, back-end devs and designers as completely distinct professions (with perhaps some overlap between front-end and design).

Medium to large companies will. Smaller companies may not.
Original post by Cal97g
You sound like you're not particularly talented at either design and implementation or back end development.

/thread

Says you, the one who has not done A Levels or a Degree, and haven't got a job in the industry.

I, on the other hand, have all three. So please take your ill-informed insults elsewhere.

Planto: Without a sound knowledge in design, a back-end developer will have a tendency to produce crap products. It can be flawless on the back end, but if it doesn't work well with the front end it isn't going to be of much use. We had one like that, they lasted a month.

Quick Reply

Latest