The Student Room Group

Alternatives for uni?

Hi, I was wondering if there are any alternatives to uni that are aimed towards people with decent A level grades.

I'm at uni now 1st year and I can't stand it (course is boring me etc...) and was wondering if there was anything that has good prospects and will enable me to get a high paying job (relatively speaking) in the future. btw my a levels are AAAB in maths f.maths and phys and bio.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by amcor
Hi, I was wondering if there are any alternatives to uni that are aimed towards people with decent A level grades.

I'm at uni now 1st year and I can't stand it (course is boring me etc...) and was wondering if there was anything that has good prospects and will enable me to get a high paying job (relatively speaking) in the future. btw my a levels are AAB in maths f.maths and physics.

For the science subjects you did? Generally speaking, no you can't get a very good paying job at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could go into a professional qualification that doesn't require a degree (ACCA, ICAS etc), but you still won't be making as much money as a graduate will for doing the same job. You also won't have the same opportunities, in order to progress in professional fields, you usually need to have at least a 2:1 degree behind you.
You could, if you really wanted, go into an admin job in the oil industry. Oil companies are known for paying higher wages for standard jobs than any other industries, but I can't imagine those jobs will be very fulfilling for someone who has obviously wanted to go to university.
Reply 3
Original post by Arieisit
For the science subjects you did? Generally speaking, no you can't get a very good paying job at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

so there is no way for me to go into accountancy or something like that with the same prospects as a graduate?
Reply 4
Original post by GoingToBurst
You could go into a professional qualification that doesn't require a degree (ACCA, ICAS etc), but you still won't be making as much money as a graduate will for doing the same job. You also won't have the same opportunities, in order to progress in professional fields, you usually need to have at least a 2:1 degree behind you.
You could, if you really wanted, go into an admin job in the oil industry. Oil companies are known for paying higher wages for standard jobs than any other industries, but I can't imagine those jobs will be very fulfilling for someone who has obviously wanted to go to university.

Is there no way I can do a degree at the same time? I was looking on KPMG and they pay for your degree whilst you train to be an accountant would that make any difference?
Original post by amcor
Is there no way I can do a degree at the same time? I was looking on KPMG and they pay for your degree whilst you train to be an accountant would that make any difference?

But that isn't an alternative to university, you'll still be at university. What are you currently studying?
I'm currently studying accountancy & finance with the goal of working for KPMG in the future, so I know a fair about their programmes etc.

You have the option of a) funding yourself through a professional qualification, such as the ones I mentioned above. b) entering into a leavers programme that funds this for you whilst working towards a degree (so not an alternative to uni at all) or c) going to uni and then entering into a graduate programme.

The only one of those options that is an alternative to uni is the first one.
Reply 6
Original post by amcor
so there is no way for me to go into accountancy or something like that with the same prospects as a graduate?

If you didn't plan on going to uni and wanted to do accountancy after A levels then your best bet was to do Accounting at a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depending what it is about uni that annoys you should consider studying by correspondence.
Reply 8
But that isn't an alternative to university, you'll still be at university. What are you currently studying?
I'm currently studying accountancy & finance with the goal of working for KPMG in the future, so I know a fair about their programmes etc.

You have the option of a) funding yourself through a professional qualification, such as the ones I mentioned above. b) entering into a leavers programme that funds this for you whilst working towards a degree (so not an alternative to uni at all) or c) going to uni and then entering into a graduate programme.

The only one of those options that is an alternative to uni is the first one.

But with number 2 are you in uni full time? or is it mixed? I'm not sure I haven't looked into it though that would interest me I think. Especially if they covered the fees :smile:
Original post by amcor
But with number 2 are you in uni full time? or is it mixed? I'm not sure I haven't looked into it though that would interest me I think. Especially if they covered the fees :smile:

You split your time between uni and work, but it means that a 3 year degree will take you 4 years to complete, whoever the 3 year qualification will only take you two years because you already have the experience from working alongside your degree.
It isn't an easy programme to get into though, and you only have a choice of three universities. Most companies are only willing to fund places for people that they feel will really benefit from the programme and in turn, benefit the company. You need to have an exceptional application to be accepted.
What do you currently study? And what field do you want to go into when you graduate? Accounting is pretty vague. The KPMG programme is only aimed at audit, so if you want to go into forensic finance, for example, then it's a waste of time. Or if you want to go into management accounting etc, then again, it's a waste of time.
Reply 10
You split your time between uni and work, but it means that a 3 year degree will take you 4 years to complete, whoever the 3 year qualification will only take you two years because you already have the experience from working alongside your degree.
It isn't an easy programme to get into though, and you only have a choice of three universities. Most companies are only willing to fund places for people that they feel will really benefit from the programme and in turn, benefit the company. You need to have an exceptional application to be accepted.
What do you currently study? And what field do you want to go into when you graduate? Accounting is pretty vague. The KPMG programme is only aimed at audit, so if you want to go into forensic finance, for example, then it's a waste of time. Or if you want to go into management accounting etc, then again, it's a waste of time.

I am studying maths and physics currently. The uni is not a problem as Exeter is close to me. I don' really know what field I want to go in tbh.
Original post by amcor
I am studying maths and physics currently. The uni is not a problem as Exeter is close to me. I don' really know what field I want to go in tbh.

If you don't know for sure that you want to go into audit, then I'm sorry to say that you probably won't get accepted for the programme. They aren't going to fund a degree and pay you to work for them when you don't even really know if you want to do that job.

If you really hate your course all that much, it might be worth dropping out and spending some time really figuring out what path you want to take.
Reply 12
Original post by amcor

I'm at uni now 1st year and I can't stand it (course is boring me etc...) and was wondering if there was anything that has good prospects and will enable me to get a high paying job (relatively speaking) in the future. btw my a levels are AAAB in maths f.maths and phys and bio.

I got an email about postgraduate-level apprenticeships run by PWC and posted about it in another TSR forum. If this is really going to happen soon, it sounds ideal for you :smile:
Original post by amcor

Hi Amcor,

A Professional Apprenticeship could be a possible route for you to consider. They enable you to start gaining hands-on experience with an employer in your chosen profession while working towards the professional qualifications you’ll need to succeed in your career. It’s a full-time job with a full-time salary and no tuition fees.

Professional Apprenticeships give you the opportunity to work with top companies such as PwC, Fujitsu and RBS - and depending on the employer requirements, you could start on a Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship which in some cases can allow you to become a chartered accountant (for example) in 5 years rather than 6 if choosing the university route.

The best place to look for available apprenticeship roles is on the National Apprenticeship Vacancy Site - and many apprenticeships offer a development programme that continues after the apprenticeship.

Professional Apprenticeships allow you to start a high-flying career straight away and in some cases will move up even quicker than you would as a graduate.

For more information on apprenticeships and to get an insight into what it would involve, take a look at our apprenticeship blog featuring case studies from our current apprentices - http://blog.bpp.com/category/apprenticeships/

Another good website for you to look at would be Not Going To Uni - which has lots of information about alternatives to Uni.

If you would like any more information then just give me a shout! Hope this has helped.

Thanks,

Adele
Original post by amcor

Your grades are pretty good and this may not appeal to you but if you email some airlines you may able to find pilot training or if that's not for you cabin crew you might want to look at that the pay is quite good too.
Apprenticeships? What kind of a career are you thinking of ? Accountancy :smile: ? Really ? Its so popular these days :biggrin: ! With those grades you would have a high-flying career in science :awesome: ! I've been advising my best mate about practising maths for apprenticeships because his grades are also really great like yours, so better hop to it :rofl: !

:crown:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest