The Student Room Group

Preparation of an Organic Compound (Ethanal)

We did an experiment to produce ethanal and I have to do a write up but I don't know the answer to some of the questions...

When we did it the collection container was in an ice bath... why is that?

Write an equation to show the oxidation of ethanol into ethanoic acid using [O] to represent the oxidizing agent.

Suggest how the apparatus and procedure could be modified so as to fully oxidise the ethanol and collect ethanoic acid as the product rather than ethanol.
Original post by Squidgy
We did an experiment to produce ethanal and I have to do a write up but I don't know the answer to some of the questions...

When we did it the collection container was in an ice bath... why is that?

Write an equation to show the oxidation of ethanol into ethanoic acid using [O] to represent the oxidizing agent.

Suggest how the apparatus and procedure could be modified so as to fully oxidise the ethanol and collect ethanoic acid as the product rather than ethanol.

Work your way through this interactive "the oxidation of alcohols".

It will show you the way ...
Look at the stages of oxidation that ethanol can go through.

There are 3 stages of oxidation of an ethyl alcohol:

alcohol
aldehyde
carboxylic acid

Ethanol + [O] -> Ethanal
Ethanal + [O] -> Ethanoic acid

The ice bath is there to halt the pace of the reaction from fully oxidising the ethanol to the ethanoic acid. That's the reason you can collect the ethanal.

Removing the ice bath and adding heat to the reaction will allow you to collect the ethanoic acid.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest