The Student Room Group

Outlaw discrimination against fat people

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by donutaud15
if you've ever experience hormonal imbalance then you'd know how some people feel. im not saying that all fat people have medical issues which didn't help their weight but people like you are just so ignorant of others who genuinely suffers. I'm speaking from experience here and I have medical issues that made me put on weight. no im not greedy, infact I don't eat a lot and I also exercise when possible. labelling people like me as greedy because we have medical issues makes you a horribly ignorant human being.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps you're one of the small minority then who has some medical reason for being overweight, good for you that you're doing something. And fyi I have an elevated cortisol level myself but have maintained my weight fine, since my doctor told me to eat well and get regular exercise which I do. Most people in the UK are overweight anyway, I said in my original post I don't understand how you can get to 20 let alone 30 stone without realising something's up because I would be very surprised if it was down to hormones and not due to OD'ing on the cake. And as I said, obese people weren't as common centuries ago, so why now? It's more irritating when people don't take responsibility for it especially if it is down to eating too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think people just get a weird kick out of it to be honest, to feel better about themselves. Fat people aren't doing anyone any harm to anyone except themselves; it's no one else's business really.

To people who are moaning about not being able to get a seat because a fat person is sitting there, well, boo-hoo-hoo. There are worse things to worry about.
Reply 62
I don't have much sympathy for anorexics either. Sorry.
point is there are people like me (however small percentage) and we don't deserve the abuse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct, it's the selfishness of the majority of people without a disorder who create problems for those with medical issues and it is a real shame.
Reply 64
It is so easy for somebody slim to sit there and judge like they're better than someone who is over weight. Not everyone who is over weight eats 6 whole chickens, 3 loaves of bread and lives for chocolate and crisps a day as commonly written in terrible magazines and 'documentaries'. The majority of slim people I know eat McDonald's and take aways nearly every day and hate veg but they're lucky to have a brilliant metabolism and a great natural figure. Not everyone is that lucky, I know others who are obese and barely eat anything. I can't believe how pig ignorant some people actually are! What gives anyone the right to be horrible to someone that's bigger than them? And yes they do have families and friends who also get very hurt from the snide comments constantly spat at them.
Original post by Oschene23
What about people with Ginger hair? No-one ever cares about the horrific discrimination against them in some cases.

Lol gingers
This thread is full of vicious and hateful fatophobia.
Original post by Lady Comstock
This thread is full of vicious and hateful fatophobia.

Is this your way of trying to bump up your dead thread or because you cannot answer anyone's point ?
Original post by Cari29392
It is so easy for somebody slim to sit there and judge like they're better than someone who is over weight. Not everyone who is over weight eats 6 whole chickens, 3 loaves of bread and lives for chocolate and crisps a day as commonly written in terrible magazines and 'documentaries'. The majority of slim people I know eat McDonald's and take aways nearly every day and hate veg but they're lucky to have a brilliant metabolism and a great natural figure. Not everyone is that lucky, I know others who are obese and barely eat anything. I can't believe how pig ignorant some people actually are! What gives anyone the right to be horrible to someone that's bigger than them? And yes they do have families and friends who also get very hurt from the snide comments constantly spat at them.

Is this you?
Reply 69
Original post by Cari29392

That is a lie.
Original post by infairverona
People who don't fit in one seat should definitely have to pay more. Annoys me no end when I can't sit down on the bus because some fatty is taking up two seats but only paid for one bus ticket.

I think we need to make more of an effort to tackle increasing obesity instead of 'fat phobia' to be honest.

I laughed too hard at this
Reply 71
there are people here who have basically said that medical reasons like hormone imbalance are rubbish reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most people are not bothered by chubby people.

If you gain 15 stone as a result of any medication, I would suggest you speak to your doctor as that is clearly not a treatment that should be pursued, especially for a mental health issue, as they often have numerous avenues of treatment, and are not directly life threatening.

If you were to say 'my blood thinners for my mechanical heart cause me to go from a normal weight to bordering morbidly obese', then I would accept that the medication is really at fault, afterall, its get fat or die.

Any reasonable GP would switch your treatment if you had uncontrolled weight gain that threatened your health.
Original post by c471
Most people are not bothered by chubby people.

If you gain 15 stone as a result of any medication, I would suggest you speak to your doctor as that is clearly not a treatment that should be pursued, especially for a mental health issue, as they often have numerous avenues of treatment, and are not directly life threatening.

If you were to say 'my blood thinners for my mechanical heart cause me to go from a normal weight to bordering morbidly obese', then I would accept that the medication is really at fault, afterall, its get fat or die.

Any reasonable GP would switch your treatment if you had uncontrolled weight gain that threatened your health.

personally for me, medication was only a small part of the weight gain. I can't speak for others though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
personally for me, medication was only a small part of the weight gain. I can't speak for others though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly! People do not take it seriously, because almost every fat person who has popped a pill that lists weight gain as a side effect places blame on the medication.

There is the most simple fact ever. Weight gain is the result of more calorie intake than expenditure. Simple, end of, no question. No matter what you take, being proactive, and monitoring your weight frequently and moderating your diet, and maintaining a high level of activity would almost certainly reduce major weight gain to minor weight gain.

What is likely to be the case is that the medication make their body less foregiving of their bad habits. If you used to eat two pizzas a week and not gain weight, and then do gain weight on medication. it is not the medication making you fat, it is the food.
As you have complete control over your food, you are not a victim of some cruel twist of nature.
Original post by c471
Exactly! People do not take it seriously, because almost every fat person who has popped a pill that lists weight gain as a side effect places blame on the medication.

There is the most simple fact ever. Weight gain is the result of more calorie intake than expenditure. Simple, end of, no question. No matter what you take, being proactive, and monitoring your weight frequently and moderating your diet, and maintaining a high level of activity would almost certainly reduce major weight gain to minor weight gain.

What is likely to be the case is that the medication make their body less foregiving of their bad habits. If you used to eat two pizzas a week and not gain weight, and then do gain weight on medication. it is not the medication making you fat, it is the food.
As you have complete control over your food, you are not a victim of some cruel twist of nature.

actually not. I ate less than I did after the medication, still put on the weight. but it was around the same time I had another medical issue that made me gain weight. hell, even the doctors treating me has admitted it wasn't anything to do with my diet. I was surviving on a tin of soup and a banana a day, still gained 5 stone, so go and explain how that's diet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
actually not. I ate less than I did after the medication, still put on the weight. but it was around the same time I had another medical issue that made me gain weight. hell, even the doctors treating me has admitted it wasn't anything to do with my diet. I was surviving on a tin of soup and a banana a day, still gained 5 stone, so go and explain how that's diet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is impossible. Either it was fluid retention (not the same as fat), or you didnt have that diet.

1 gram of fat consists of 9 calories. 5 stone is 31751.5 grams. That requires 285763.5 calories to form that quantity of fat.

Even if you burned 0 calories per day (which is not true, as you were no doubt alive at the time), that diet amounts to around 200 calories a day, which would take approximately 3 years to accumulate.

Not to mention that 200 calories is less than you use to breathe per day, So if you did not deviate from this diet your body would have by definition been forced to metabolise your fat or muscle.

If you really existed on that diet, you have just made the arguement that it would have been a physical impossibility for you to starve to death, in which case you would have been the subject of a series of scientific papers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by c471
That is impossible. Either it was fluid retention (not the same as fat), or you didnt have that diet.

1 gram of fat consists of 9 calories. 5 stone is 31751.5 grams. That requires 285763.5 calories to form that quantity of fat.

Even if you burned 0 calories per day (which is not true, as you were no doubt alive at the time), that diet amounts to around 200 calories a day, which would take approximately 3 years to accumulate.

Not to mention that 200 calories is less than you use to breathe per day, So if you did not deviate from this diet your body would have by definition been forced to metabolise your fat or muscle.

If you really existed on that diet, you have just made the arguement that it would have been a physical impossibility for you to starve to death, in which case you would have been the subject of a series of scientific papers.

well I did put on the weight on that diet but like you the doctors didn't believe it. hence the fact that the issues were ignored for years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
well I did put on the weight on that diet but like you the doctors didn't believe it. hence the fact that the issues were ignored for years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its not that I dont believe, it is impossible. That diet would of left you with a significant calorie deficit. Any person would eventually starve to death on that amount of calories. A month of that diet would leave you severally weakened and emaciated unless you were significantly overweight to start.

What you are suggesting is that you essentially didn't eat, yet rather than dying, you became more overweight.

Holocaust victims in concentration camps got more than that diet, and look and what it did to them. It killed them in droves.

You are claiming you are immune to starving to death.
Original post by c471
Its not that I dont believe, it is impossible. That diet would of left you with a significant calorie deficit. Any person would eventually starve to death on that amount of calories. A month of that diet would leave you severally weakened and emaciated unless you were significantly overweight to start.

What you are suggesting is that you essentially didn't eat, yet rather than dying, you became more overweight.

Holocaust victims in concentration camps got more than that diet, and look and what it did to them. It killed them in droves.

You are claiming you are immune to starving to death.

well it has happened. you may think that's impossible but that's your opinion. I don't really have to prove anything, especially as I don't want to give much in terms of medical history.

I've heard all this before from previous GPs and repeating years worth of explanations is a waste of my time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
well it has happened. you may think that's impossible but that's your opinion. I don't really have to prove anything, especially as I don't want to give much in terms of medical history.

I've heard all this before from previous GPs and repeating years worth of explanations is a waste of my time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it isnt. It is established medical fact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending