The Student Room Group

University asking for B in maths for Psychology, only got a C?

Hi everyone. I'm a prospective student in the process of applying for university. I am expected to achieve AAA-AAB, however I am unable to apply for many of the top universities for Psychology due to the fact that I achieved a C in my GCSE maths rather than a B. I'm completely unsure as to what I need to do. Should I completely disregard the universities which are asking for the B in maths, or is it worth trying? Help!
Reply 1
Original post by megank123
Hi everyone. I'm a prospective student in the process of applying for university. I am expected to achieve AAA-AAB, however I am unable to apply for many of the top universities for Psychology due to the fact that I achieved a C in my GCSE maths rather than a B. I'm completely unsure as to what I need to do. Should I completely disregard the universities which are asking for the B in maths, or is it worth trying? Help!

Get your referee to mention that you will resit. You will NEED basic logical thinking for psychology, theres quite a bit of stats work.

I suggest resitting 1 or 2 exams and spending maybe an hour a week on each topic ^^
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
Get your referee to mention that you will resit. You will NEED basic logical thinking for psychology, theres quite a bit of stats work.

I suggest resitting 1 or 2 exams and spending maybe an hour a week on each topic ^^

Hello, thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I am unable to resit this exam. My college only offers the option to resit to a grade C, and therefore it would be impossible. I'm also doing an EPQ, I'm a member of my Students' Union and I'm a Psychology Ambassador, which means I haven't really got any spare time. :frown: I have found some lovely universities which aren't asking for a B in maths, it's just an awful shame that I can't apply for higher ranking ones because of my maths.
Reply 3
Original post by megank123
Hello, thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I am unable to resit this exam. My college only offers the option to resit to a grade C, and therefore it would be impossible. I'm also doing an EPQ, I'm a member of my Students' Union and I'm a Psychology Ambassador, which means I haven't really got any spare time. :frown: I have found some lovely universities which aren't asking for a B in maths, it's just an awful shame that I can't apply for higher ranking ones because of my maths.

I mean you could try ring up the admissions department to see whether there's a possible compromise. My mate is in a similar position with the absence of a level maths for computing. He has to do a maths testing ability test at the uni (if they interview)

What's your other a level subjects? That can sometime have an effect. If bath doesn't make leeway, then it may be worth to at least looking into the possibility of retaking the gcse at another centre. Bath is an awesome university and a gcse stopping you getting an offer when you have a good set of academic credentials is a horrible feeling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending