The Student Room Group

Revision Help!!!

Okay basically here's my story
I've always been a fairly able kid at school usually one of the smartest(not trying to be big headed) and I attend a grammar school in Birmingham. I'm in year 11 and have my mock exams starting Monday and let's just say me and revision haven't really met before.
Honestly, I can only remember 3 times in my last 4 years at school I've actually properly revised, German CA, Maths GCSE(Early) and a biology test once. This is where I need help or just need your feedback, for any other exam I've ever had before baring those three previously stated my preparation for the test has been reading the textbook/syllabus the night before the exam, I've been doing this since year 7 which has become a nasty habit for me. The confusing thing for me is that it works, for example my end of year 10 examinations(don't mean much but were all past papers) I got 5A* 4A and a C just by reading stuff before the exam.

Now coming to my mocks all my friends have been making notes etc and been comparing them and I'm just sitting there thinking I've done f** all. I'm still in that situation, literally I come home and think, how do I revise? I feel I'll end planning to do for the mocks is what I've been doing all before. I made some notes the other day on C1 chemistry and all I feel it did was re jog my memory, just what reading does for me. I know I can't continue like this when it comes to my actually GCSE's or my A-levels but I've been saying that to myself since year 7 but somehow I manage to grind out the results? I'm not going to lie I have messed up plenty of tests but well I dunno

I also find myself to be less motivated to do work recently (past 7-8 months) I literally keep night before revision to a minimum as well now. Really tired when I get back from school so I end up just sitting on the sofa when I get home

So what do you guys advise me to do? I feel like maybe I should be doing more? Anyone else do similar things? I know my mock results will effect me and I'm kind of hoping I do bad just to be me that kick to push me on. Anyway it feels good to just let that off my chest as its been bugging me a bit. If you're just skipping to the end then basically I just need help with revision and I'm hoping I can find someone who's in a similar boat. Oh I know about past papers and plan to do them around march onwards

Cheers, Nitin
Reply 1
Original post by nitin985
Okay basically here's my story
I've always been a fairly able kid at school usually one of the smartest(not trying to be big headed) and I attend a grammar school in Birmingham. I'm in year 11 and have my mock exams starting Monday and let's just say me and revision haven't really met before.
Honestly, I can only remember 3 times in my last 4 years at school I've actually properly revised, German CA, Maths GCSE(Early) and a biology test once. This is where I need help or just need your feedback, for any other exam I've ever had before baring those three previously stated my preparation for the test has been reading the textbook/syllabus the night before the exam, I've been doing this since year 7 which has become a nasty habit for me. The confusing thing for me is that it works, for example my end of year 10 examinations(don't mean much but were all past papers) I got 5A* 4A and a C just by reading stuff before the exam.

Now coming to my mocks all my friends have been making notes etc and been comparing them and I'm just sitting there thinking I've done f** all. I'm still in that situation, literally I come home and think, how do I revise? I feel I'll end planning to do for the mocks is what I've been doing all before. I made some notes the other day on C1 chemistry and all I feel it did was re jog my memory, just what reading does for me. I know I can't continue like this when it comes to my actually GCSE's or my A-levels but I've been saying that to myself since year 7 but somehow I manage to grind out the results? I'm not going to lie I have messed up plenty of tests but well I dunno

I also find myself to be less motivated to do work recently (past 7-8 months) I literally keep night before revision to a minimum as well now. Really tired when I get back from school so I end up just sitting on the sofa when I get home

So what do you guys advise me to do? I feel like maybe I should be doing more? Anyone else do similar things? I know my mock results will effect me and I'm kind of hoping I do bad just to be me that kick to push me on. Anyway it feels good to just let that off my chest as its been bugging me a bit. If you're just skipping to the end then basically I just need help with revision and I'm hoping I can find someone who's in a similar boat. Oh I know about past papers and plan to do them around march onwards

Cheers, Nitin

Hello Nitin,

Hopefully I can be of some help.

Firstly - everyone revises differently. As you've never revised properly before you will find it difficult to being with, you need to find what method suits you best.
If note making didn't really work for you I would suggest the following:

- Questions and past papers. This is one of the best methods of revising. Do a few papers a couple of times. Do some under timed conditions and others not. This should point out your weaker areas that you need to work on.

- Active revision with peers. Get a little group together and discuss certain areas - maybe the ones you've found to be weaker. Talking actively about problems and discussing them is a brilliant way to revise (just try and make sure your discussion stays on topic!)

- Flash cards. Try making some flash cards with key points or some with questions on that have the answer on the other side. This is useful for key words or concepts.

I hope that is of some help. I can also point you towards the TSR revision wiki -
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/revision_methods_and_tips

Good Luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending