The Student Room Group

I can never be bothered to go out.

I'm currently in sixth form and to be honest I live quite far away from my friends (30 minute drive), who all live in town and don't have to pester parents for a lift to meet up. I get invited out by groups of friends about once a week, and on special occasions like birthday meals or Halloween parties. Anyway, I just really can never be bothered to go, I am worn out and it takes an hour just getting there and back. I usually end up spending £20+, which is really annoying and even though I enjoy it when I'm there, I'd rather be relaxing at home. It's sad because I have to keep thinking up excuses or drop out last minute.

I would say I'm quite a sociable person at school, I speak to a lot of people and I have a lot of good friends. But when I come home, especially after school, I just want to chill. But my friends moan at me for this. Is this bad?

However, during half term/summer holidays, I do go out the most out of my friends and I nvite my friends over to my house or something, so I'm not completely antisocial.

What do you think about this? Do I need to get out more or is it normal?
you're an A-level student. be thankful you even HAVE a social life :lol:
Reply 2
Original post by Secretnerd123
you're an A-level student. be thankful you even HAVE a social life :lol:

as opposed to a uni student?

p.s. op you sound just like me. its just effort to go so far and usually have to go public transprt ( i live 30 mins from my school)
Original post by IceKidd

p.s. op you sound just like me. its just effort to go so far and usually have to go public transprt ( i live 30 mins from my school)

not at uni yet so don't know what the workload is like but when i was doing my alevels, my social life was pretty much nonexistent lol
Reply 4
not at uni yet so don't know what the workload is like but when i was doing my alevels, my social life was pretty much nonexistent lol

i find it hard to believe that anyone doing alevels cant manage a social life. alevels really dont take up much time, im sure you could have easily had a social life (unless u were too lazy to go out)?
Reply 5
Original post by IceKidd
i find it hard to believe that anyone doing alevels cant manage a social life. alevels really dont take up much time, im sure you could have easily had a social life (unless u were too lazy to go out)?

It depends what subjects you do actually. I do Art, History and English Lit and they are so heavy with coursework, especially Art - if you want to do well in Art you basically need to give up your social life lol.
Reply 6
Original post by serebro
I'm currently in sixth form and to be honest I live quite far away from my friends (30 minute drive), who all live in town and don't have to pester parents for a lift to meet up. I get invited out by groups of friends about once a week, and on special occasions like birthday meals or Halloween parties. Anyway, I just really can never be bothered to go, I am worn out and it takes an hour just getting there and back. I usually end up spending £20+, which is really annoying and even though I enjoy it when I'm there, I'd rather be relaxing at home. It's sad because I have to keep thinking up excuses or drop out last minute.

I would say I'm quite a sociable person at school, I speak to a lot of people and I have a lot of good friends. But when I come home, especially after school, I just want to chill. But my friends moan at me for this. Is this bad?

However, during half term/summer holidays, I do go out the most out of my friends and I nvite my friends over to my house or something, so I'm not completely antisocial.

Suppose it depends on whether you expect them to 'bother' for your special occasions?! ;-)

Guess also it depends if this is just short term thing? If it were just for a few months here and there when you had a lot on?

Is it a case that you'll just make the effort for specific occasions? I know at one point quite a few uni pals lived a good trip away - generally I would only travel at weekends - unless something mega!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Original post by IceKidd

you say that now because you've finished you're A-levels and you're comparing that to uni workload. the only time i relaxed a little was during half term holidays but i had to sacrifice my weekends and dedicate it to my studies. i saw my friends everyday at sixth form so there was no need to see them every weekend as the op seems to think :tongue:
Reply 8
you say that now because you've finished you're A-levels and you're comparing that to uni workload. the only time i relaxed a little was during half term holidays but i had to sacrifice my weekends and dedicate it to my studies. i saw my friends everyday at sixth form so there was no need to see them every weekend as the op seems to think :tongue:

im an A2 student...?

only time i ever had to work on weekends was in april/may to revise for my exams (and when i had coursework...but that would only take up 1 or 2 weekends in the year)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by IceKidd
im an A2 student...?

only time i ever had to work on weekends was in april/may to revise for my exams (and when i had coursework...but that would only take up 1 or 2 weekends in the year)

hm okay
Reply 10
hm okay

can i as what subjects you are doing( AS/A2?). obviously i did wor on weekends as well, its just that it was only like a little homewrok or soemthign so you do about an hour a day and have pretty much the whole day to go out still..
Reply 11
your friends should visit you
Original post by serebro

I can see your point however if you decline too many invites it could get to the point where your friends stop inviting you as they assume you aren't interested in hanging out with them.
Original post by IceKidd

For most subjects at uni its not hard to do work and have a social life helped by the fact most subjects don't have a school like timetable. For example most Arts subjects your only in 6-10 hours a week, I'm in 6 which means that I can do work and have a social life even in 3rd year and still get good 2:1's in my coursework.
Reply 14
Original post by jelly1000
For most subjects at uni its not hard to do work and have a social life helped by the fact most subjects don't have a school like timetable. For example most Arts subjects your only in 6-10 hours a week, I'm in 6 which means that I can do work and have a social life even in 3rd year and still get good 2:1's in my coursework.

yeah thats roughly what i thought. all my uni mates have mad social lives. i thought the person was saying ''youre doing alevels so u can have a social life'' and were hinting at ''unis so hard you cant have a social life''

i misinterpreted it
Original post by IceKidd
can i as what subjects you are doing( AS/A2?). obviously i did wor on weekends as well, its just that it was only like a little homewrok or soemthign so you do about an hour a day and have pretty much the whole day to go out still..

ive finished my A-levels (currently on a gap year). i did psychology, law and sociology. at A2, we had to do an essay or a paragraph almost every weekend for psych and socio plus research which took alot of time :frown:. all those months of beint stuck at home totally paid off so no regrets i suppose :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending