The Student Room Group

STEP 3 paper help

Hi, I'm new so apologies if this doesn't come out too well.

The question is as follows:
A=1nk=1nxk A=\frac{1}{n}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n x_k
B=1nk=1n(xkA)2 B=\frac{1}{n}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n (x_k-A)^2

Show that B= 1nk=1n(xk2A2)\frac{1}{n}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n (x_k^2 -A^2) .

I've expanded out the binomial in B and simplified, but I'm stuck at the very end.

B=1nk=1n(xkA)21nk=1nxk22Ank=1nxk+A2 B=\frac{1}{n}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n (x_k-A)^2 \Rightarrow \frac{1}{n}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n x_k^2 - \frac{2A}{n}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n x_k + A^2 . It's this last step, and i have a feeling i will be kicking myself when I see it or get a nudge in the right direction. Edit: The xk x_k are fixed numbers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by maths learner
Hi, I'm new so apologies if this doesn't come out too well.

The question is as follows:
A=1nk=1nxk A=\frac{1}{n}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n x_k
B=1nk=1n(xkA)2 B=\frac{1}{n}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n (x_k-A)^2

Show that B= 1nk=1n(xk2A2)\frac{1}{n}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n (x_k^2 -A^2) .

I've expanded out the binomial in B and simplified, but I'm stuck at the very end.

B=1nk=1n(xkA)21nk=1nxk22Ank=1nxk+A2 B=\frac{1}{n}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n (x_k-A)^2 \Rightarrow \frac{1}{n}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n x_k^2 - \frac{2A}{n}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n x_k + A^2 . It's this last step, and i have a feeling i will be kicking myself when I see it or get a nudge in the right direction.

You just need to substitute back for the definition of A in the middle term on your RHS (i.e. write the sum of x_n in terms of A).
Reply 2
Original post by davros
You just need to substitute back for the definition of A in the middle term on your RHS (i.e. write the sum of x_n in terms of A).

I feel dumb. I can't get it to cancel...
Reply 3
I feel dumb. I can't get it to cancel...

You have 2A2+A2-2A^2 + A^2 so ... :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by davros
You have 2A2+A2-2A^2 + A^2 so ... :smile:

Where did the 2A2 -2A^2 come from? Sorry it's been a long day (I shouldn't try to do STEP when half asleep).
Reply 5
Note: it's more obvious if you write the middle term as 2A1nk=1nxk\displaystyle 2A \frac{1}{n} \sum_{k=1}^n x_k
Reply 6
Note also that this is basically the proof that Var[X]=E[X2]E[X]2Var[X] = E[X^2] - E[X]^2 if you've covered that in stats.
Reply 7
Where did the 2A2 -2A^2 come from? Sorry it's been a long day (I shouldn't try to do STEP when half asleep).

It's (-2A/n)(nA).

(I was trying to hint at it subtly, but perhaps too subtly! Anyway, I'm off to watch the Dr Who thing now!)
Reply 8
Original post by DFranklin
Note: it's more obvious if you write the middle term as 2A1nk=1nxk\displaystyle 2A \frac{1}{n} \sum_{k=1}^n x_k

Ohhh yeah. Ugh I need to get use to writing my fractions in a form like that, I get tripped up like that quite often. Thanks! Also Yeah I have done the stats thing :smile:.
Reply 9

Hi, I'm still struggling away at question 1 on the STEP 2010 paper, I was wondering if you would mind helping again...

we have the following sums:

A=1nk=1nkx A=\frac{1}{n}\sum\limits_{k=1}^nk_x
B=1nk=1n(xkA)2 B=\frac{1}{n}\sum\limits_{k=1}^n (x_k-A)^2
C=1n+1k=1n+1xk C=\frac{1}{n+1}\sum\limits_{k=1}^{n+1} x_k
D=1n+1k=1n+1(xkC)2 D=\frac{1}{n+1}\sum\limits_{k=1}^{n+1} (x_k -C)^2

I need to express D in terms of B, A xn+1x_{n+1} and n. And then show that (n+1)DnB(n+1)D\geq nB for all values of xn+1 x_{n+1} but that D<B if and only if A(n+1)Bn<xn+1<A+(n+1)Bn A- \sqrt\frac{(n+1)B}{n} < x_{n+1} < A + \sqrt\frac{(n+1)B}{n} .

I'm on the expressing D in terms of the other sums part I've got the following so far:

D=1n+1k=1n+1xk2C2 D=\frac{1}{n+1}\sum\limits_{k=1}^{n+1} x_k^2 -C^2 (By the same logic as how B was expressed above).
D=1n+1(n(B+A2)+xn+12)(nA+xn+1)2(n+1)2 D=\frac{1}{n+1}(n(B+A^2)+x_{n+1}^2) - \frac{(nA+x_{n+1})^2}{(n+1)^2} . Which was found by rearranging the B term and rewriting C in terms of A. Now i'm stuck...
I haven't checked your algebra, but the obvious next step is to multiply by (n+1), which will give you (n+1)D on the LHS and nB on the RHS (plus some other terms).

So at that point you'll need to show the sum of those other terms is non-negative. Again, I haven't done the algebra, but it should be straightforward.
I haven't checked your algebra, but the obvious next step is to multiply by (n+1), which will give you (n+1)D on the LHS and nB on the RHS (plus some other terms).

So at that point you'll need to show the sum of those other terms is non-negative. Again, I haven't done the algebra, but it should be straightforward.

I'll have a go now. Thanks for the reply. I don't see from first glance how we just get nB though. Opps missed you wrote and other terms XD!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi, I'm still struggling away at question 1 on the STEP 2010 paper, I was wondering if you would mind helping again...

we have the following sums:

A=1nk=1nkx A=\frac{1}{n}\sum\limits_{k=1}^nk_x
B=1nk=1n(xkA)2 B=\frac{1}{n}\sum\limits_{k=1}^n (x_k-A)^2
C=1n+1k=1n+1xk C=\frac{1}{n+1}\sum\limits_{k=1}^{n+1} x_k
D=1n+1k=1n+1(xkC)2 D=\frac{1}{n+1}\sum\limits_{k=1}^{n+1} (x_k -C)^2

I need to express D in terms of B, A xn+1x_{n+1} and n. And then show that (n+1)DnB(n+1)D\geq nB for all values of xn+1 x_{n+1} but that D<B if and only if A(n+1)Bn<xn+1<A+(n+1)Bn A- \sqrt\frac{(n+1)B}{n} < x_{n+1} < A + \sqrt\frac{(n+1)B}{n} .

I'm on the expressing D in terms of the other sums part I've got the following so far:

D=1n+1k=1n+1xk2C2 D=\frac{1}{n+1}\sum\limits_{k=1}^{n+1} x_k^2 -C^2 (By the same logic as how B was expressed above).
D=1n+1(n(B+A2)+xn+12)(nA+xn+1)2(n+1)2 D=\frac{1}{n+1}(n(B+A^2)+x_{n+1}^2) - \frac{(nA+x_{n+1})^2}{(n+1)^2} . Which was found by rearranging the B term and rewriting C in terms of A. Now i'm stuck...

I almost agree with you but I have
D=1n+1B+n(n+1)2A2D=\frac{1}{n+1}B+\frac{n}{(n+1)^2}A^2 for the first two terms, otherwise I agree with you.

Okay so I've simplified down, and gotten to:

(n+1)D=nB+nn+1(Axn+1)2 (n+1)D=nB+\frac{n}{n+1}(A-x_{n+1})^2. Which is what is gotten in the STEP solution guide. But then I don't know how you actually prove that (n+1)DnB (n+1)D\geq nB for all values of xn+1 x_{n+1}.

I think I'm getting there. For the first part of the inequality can I simply say that nDB nD\geq B for all values since it's obvious by looking at it... I'm not really sure how you prove it. For the second part I have this:

D=nBn+1+n(n+1)2(Axn+1)2 D= \frac{nB}{n+1}+\frac{n}{(n+1)^2}(A-x_{n+1})^2. Now this is less than B iff nBn+1+n(n+1)2(1n+1B)<B \frac{nB}{n+1} + \frac{n}{(n+1)^2}(\frac{-1}{n+1}B)<B. But then I'm not too sure. I know if I expanded out rather than re wrote the term containing A in it I can start to get some form of quadratic which I presume I'll need, so that could be an approach?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by brianeverit
I almost agree with you but I have
D=1n+1B+n(n+1)2A2D=\frac{1}{n+1}B+\frac{n}{(n+1)^2}A^2 for the first two terms, otherwise I agree with you.

hmm. Maybe I made a slip up or something, but anyway I end up with what they get in the solution, I just don't know how you prove the inequalities :/.
hmm. Maybe I made a slip up or something, but anyway I end up with what they get in the solution, I just don't know how you prove the inequalities :/.

See attatched
Original post by brianeverit
See attatched

Ah brilliant thank you. I'll work through it and see if I can follow the logic. I hate proving bi-conditional statements. Find them tricky.

Quick Reply

Latest