The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
WilliamFoster
But err Goldman Sachs I'm sorry to say only employ oxbridge, LSE and Imperial undergrads for the most lucrative positions

well firstly, they do because this years garduate recruits had 4 frm warwick 1 from UCL. so ur wrong. And secondly, ur a graduate-ur not going to get into a "lucrative position". u need on the job experience for that, and it will be ur experience they care most about rather than ur degree. are u thick or summit?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 61
WILKO
well firstly, they do because this years garduate recruits had 4 frm warwick 1 from UCL. so ur wrong. And secondly, ur a graduate-ur not going to get into a "lucrative position". u need on the job experience for that, and it will be ur experience they care most about rather than ur degree. are u thick or summit?

wilko u doin/will do economics arent u?
Reply 62
TheWolf
wilko u doin/will do economics arent u?

yea. will be doing L100 at warwick
Reply 63
WILKO
yea. will be doing L100 at warwick

nice onne m8 thinking of applying there apparently this economics course is very mathematically based? true?
TheWolf
nice onne m8 thinking of applying there apparently this economics course is very mathematically based? true?

That's a good thing wolf, leafed through some first year economics books this year...lots of stats (ick). Pure maths is better, mathematical modelling in economics is fun, forecasting is not.
Reply 65
Mysticmin
That's a good thing wolf, leafed through some first year economics books this year...lots of stats (ick). Pure maths is better, mathematical modelling in economics is fun, forecasting is not.

:eek: whats wrong with forecasting :smile:
TheWolf
:eek: whats wrong with forecasting :smile:

Stats :frown: It's boring, i can't stand stats, next to no algebra, its really arbitrary! And I quote from my statistics teacher: "It's not really real maths".
Reply 67
Mysticmin
Stats :frown: It's boring, i can't stand stats, next to no algebra, its really arbitrary!

i guess ur right but there is more than stats to forecasting :wink: (i hope!) anyways did you phone up about the engineering? :smile:
TheWolf
i guess ur right but there is more than stats to forecasting :wink: (i hope!) anyways did you phone up about the engineering? :smile:

Yes! I'm going to visit the engineering dept on wed :biggrin: Mechanical engineering is technically full, but the admissions tutor said to phone up in april and see if they had any spare places as most of the offer holders would have replied by then.

Does you sister like it there? What's the social life like, obviously its not going to be as opulent as UCLs since the degrees will require more dedication but I don't wanna not go out.
i've firmly accepted an offer from manchester for BA International business, finance and economics and put their BA Econ as my insurance. Im now quite worried that i may have made the wrong decision as not many people seem to have heard of the IBFE whereas everyone seems to be familiar with the BA Econ.
Im hoping for a career in finance, do you think i will be disadvantaged in any way by doin the IBFE rather than BA Econ? Also, as the degrees are (according to the uni) quite similar, do you think they would allow me to change this early in the semester once i'm there? (providing i meet my offer :tongue: )
can nobody help me here? I'm gettin reeeeeaaaaallly stressed out.
would i be able to still do a Msc Economics with the IBFE degree or would the Ba Econ be better for this. And will doing this degree make me less employable than the Ba Econ would? aaarrghhhh :confused:
Reply 71
IBFE sounds pretty impressive, I'd stick with that. If you want to ask about changing courses, email the admissions tutors, they're always uberhelpful.

I've never really known what career I want to follow, but I'm hopefully going to do Computer Science w/ Business and Management. What are my chances of getting some kind of finance job in the City with that?
Hey, my friend does IBFE at manc and he enjoys it...from what i can tell teh first year seems pretty similar to first year ba econ...in which case it would be pretty easy to change as long as u do it in first few weeks. would def give manc a call tho jst to enquire - u dont have to give ure name or anything, it won't affect ure application!

Latest

Trending

Trending