The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow uni mature students 2014

Hello! :smile:

I've recently had an unconditional offer through for undergrad Sociology and French! I will be 26 by the time we start in 2014, and so therefore qualify as a 'mature' student! I'm a wee bit worried about being older than everyone ... anyone else in the same boat!? Other than that, cannae wait! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Late 30s American here..postgrad for 2014 firmed. Don't feel bad. Not only am I older but I'm coming overseas to do my postgrad!

Besides I met a few 30 somethings at the uni when I was in Glasgow 2 weeks ago.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey!

I've been given an offer for next year for undergrad Physics and I will be 23 when I start. Due to many mishaps during school I was unable to get into university but have since working towards it through part time courses and the like! I am very glad I am going to attend uni at my age though! Because I have spent the years studying my subject in my free time, I have developed much more of an interest for it and appreciation for education in general. Also, since my courses are dominated by reading textbooks, self assessing through problems, coursework and exams I feel much more prepared for something like uni than I ever was!

There shouldn't be anything to worry about being older than most of your class mates though! After a short while I'm sure the younger students who have been used to being surrounded by other young people will quickly learn to look past ages and make friends with the person them self! A few years back I was at college and was good friends with a group of people, one was in his 60s, another in his 30s and another just out from school all because we shared the same interests, age doesn't matter and nor does ethnicity/nationality!

Although I may be looking through rose tinted glasses because 22 is still very young! I can imagine being out of any formal education for many years would make attending university a daunting prospect. But if you love your subject, I'm sure it will be easy to get along with other people in your classes who love their subject too! :wink:
Reply 3
@ nicolew100 Good for you! :-) And congratulations on your offer. What are you coming to study, if you don't mind me asking? What are your thoughts on Glasgow?

@Harskar Congratulations and well done on working hard and getting to where you are now. :-) It sounds like you're genuinely very interested in the subject and motivated which is massively important. Like you said, it's often good to wait a few years until you're more sure of yourself and what you want etc. Nowadays, I am really sure of what I want to do and am looking forward to getting stuck in!

Thanks for the reassurance, guys! I am sure everything will be just fine! :-)
Reply 4
MSc Political Communication (my BA is from Tulane University, Political Science).

I'm hoping perhaps to stay in Scotland if I can find work after graduation. I'm a free agent and no need to return to the U.S. unless I flat out can't find any work in the UK.

I liked Glasgow. Its cold (which I like coming from the US south...hate hot weather), people were friendly, I love the subway and ScotRail, it seems easy enough to get around.
Original post by kimova
Hello! :smile:

I've recently had an unconditional offer through for undergrad Sociology and French! I will be 26 by the time we start in 2014, and so therefore qualify as a 'mature' student! I'm a wee bit worried about being older than everyone ... anyone else in the same boat!? Other than that, cannae wait! :smile:

I'm 23 and started this year Kimova, you'll be totally fine! I thought I'd be walking in to a room full of baby faces and stand out like a sore thumb - I was wrong!

I've met as many 25 year olds as I have 18 year olds in my lectures and I've even encountered the odd forty something. It's not an issue at all.

Congratulations on the offer and I hope you love it here :smile:
Reply 6
@nicolew100 - Fantastic! Political Communication sounds very interesting. I know a guy who studied on the same Masters course, and he is now the political editor for a well known newspaper.
Glasgow is indeed a great place. I was born and bred on the outskirts, but haven't lived there for a long time. Looking forward to going back.

@pmc:tongue:roducer - Thanks for the reassurance :-) My mind is certainly starting to feel at ease! How are you finding the university life so far?
Reply 7
Couple of days ago I received an email from Glasgow Uni . I got an conditional offer. I am so nervous and excited at the same time. In March I will be 22 and also I was applying as a mature student.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Nice one! Fingers crossed for you :smile: What are you looking to study?
Reply 9
Original post by kimova
Nice one! Fingers crossed for you :smile: What are you looking to study?

Business and management :smile: I got very easy to achieve conditions. However, English is my second language so I need to work hard to complete my qualifications. Will be fine (positive thinking )

Thank u Kimova
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
I'm a mature student at Glasgow uni, I'm 27 and will be 29/just shy of 30 when I graduate. I've fitted in well, I'm involved in clubs and socs and I don't feel any different to the younger students (apart from I'm a bit more sensible on a night out :P )
Reply 11
Ha, you give me hope :smile:)) I'm starting to really look forward to uni…
How was it during freshers week?
Reply 12
Original post by Martineee
Business and management :smile: I got very easy to achieve conditions. However, English is my second language so I need to work hard to complete my qualifications. Will be fine (positive thinking )

Thank u Kimova

Extra respect for studying in your second language! :smile:)
Let us know how you get on :smile:)
Reply 13
Kimova - I was just as involved in stuff during Freshers as the 18 year olds! I maybe didn't go to as many all night benders, lol, but I still got involved. I had a fantastic Freshers week! I have also been a Vice President and president of the second largest society on campus (LGBTQ+) so I definitely think I've been pretty involved in university life! I have made so many friends, some up to 9 years younger than me but for the most part I don't even notice (apart from me having a wee bit more life experience when it comes to stuff outside of uni, like working full time etc but there are also lots of mature youngsters!). I fully believe uni is what you make it, regardless of how old you are.
Reply 14
I've been offered a place for 2014 start to study earth science, and I'm 34, which makes me really mature I guess. But I've worked with people of all ages in the past, from 17 year olds to guys approaching 70, so fitting in etc isn't really something I'm worrying about........the fact I'm at an age where I get two day hangovers does mind you.
I'm honestly thrilled there are some older students.
Hi guys...don't u worry about your age coz no one pays attention...I was a post-graduate at the age of 30, with 2 kids and fitted well...infact they used to thing um their age mate...you will make friends young and old...
Reply 17
Hi! I'm also an American with a BA in Political Science, coming to Glasgow in 2014 to study Human Rights and International Politics. I'll be turning 25 shortly after I get over there so I suppose I'm still "young" but I'm definitely not a 18 year old freshman! A close friend of mine and possible roommate is also getting her MsC degree in Political Communication. I had an underwhelming social experience in undergrad, so I'm excited to meet people of all ages in one of my favorite countries.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by dana_kat
Hi! I'm also an American with a BA in Political Science, coming to Glasgow in 2014 to study Human Rights and International Politics. I'll be turning 25 shortly after I get over there so I suppose I'm still "young" but I'm definitely not a 18 year old freshman! A close friend of mine and possible roommate is also getting her MsC degree in Political Communication. I had an underwhelming social experience in undergrad, so I'm excited to meet people of all ages in one of my favorite countries.

Your friend an American too? If so great! I'm going to be in the postgrad MSc PoliComm program too (when I was there in November I didn't get the impression they had many Americans in that program yet.)

*Excited*
Reply 19
I'm in 4th year at Glasgow Uni and have only just this year found out about the Mature Student's Association (MSA), it costs £10 a year to join and allows you access to their facilities 24/7 which include a kitchen, study room and a computer room, as well as numerous social events which give you a chance to meet other mature students. You have to be 21 at the time of registration (i.e Sept 2014 for anyone starting this year) but I would definitely recommend it, everyone is really friendly and it's a good environment and group to be part of. Just wish i'd found out about it sooner!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending