The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Solutions To The Problem Of Underemployed Graduates?

What can be done about the big problem of highly educated graduates only being able to get low paid menial jobs?

There are not enough graduate level jobs so it is inevitable that some people will have to pursue other options and take jobs which they are over qualified for and for which the pay is very low. Whilst this is not the ideal situation, I cannot see how we could possible create enough graduate level jobs to satisfy demand.

Speaking from my own experience, I think one of the solutions lies with changing the approach of the employer. In my previous job and I know this is a similar situation many graduates find themselves in, they end up working for someone who has little education or interest in anything intellectual/ academic. Their 'superiors' have become accustomed to outdated working practices. For example, constant micromanaging employees, military style hierarchies and the anti education ideas which most corporate organisations seem to hold. Essentially, we need to stop treating graduates as if they are straight out if kindergarten and leave them to do the work and use their skills, rather than merely carry out a 'duty'. For example, retail work could be a good example for a graduate to use their skills, but too often, barriers, controls and shackles are placed on employees for various reasons, mostly to protect the exposure of incompetence or an illegitimate act.

I'm proposing therefore that what needs to change is the role of the employee. We need to update the mentality of our leaders and embrace the diversity of thought and skills which graduates bring to the workplace. The problem is how to open the mind of these 'leaders'?

Scroll to see replies

Stop accepting anyone and everyone into universities, close a lot of them down and go back to realising that you can't have most of the population be degree professionals.

Or just accept that there is a new reality for the uni graduate, and that a degree is no longer the automatic key to a comfortable and prosperous future it once was.

:s-smilie: Only so many degree level entry jobs to go around for an ever increasing swarm of over-qualified but generally not outstanding individuals (plus the glut of grads only means that you have to go above and beyond to prove yourself exceptional).
Problem is, graduates are not being underemployed so much as people are expecting far too much out of their university education. With the exception of a handful of fields, university is largely useless at preparing you for the workplace. Being able to do maths/physics/chemistry/English/history/psychology/x/y/z... to a suitable level to pass exams doesn't entitle anyone to a high level job. Work skills can be learned in society, at school, university, on placements and from books but the vast majority of your employability relies on who you are (as a person) and where you have worked before. It's how it's always been.

University is more of a rubber-stamping procedure to say you're of reasonable intelligence and have potential. Sending 50% of the population to university doesn't mean there's a problem when only a fraction of those leaving are able to take 'good' jobs. Managerial and senior technical roles only account for a fraction of the jobs available, and you can't create more 'important' roles just because you have more graduates. If a business only needs one manager, it's only going to have one manager.

Graduates aren't a special breed, and they don't usually have employable skills that non-graduates do not have, aside from the vocational courses (medicine, law, etc). A graduate has a piece of paper saying they might have potential, but honestly most are not equipped to lead and never will be. They have to fit into businesses the same as anyone else, and the very best will rise to the top, but the vast majority will always be subordinates. I don't think it's a problem. Quite how a degree equips a graduate to deal with a situation better than someone with experience in the industry is beyond me. The idea of letting someone wander around with autonomy because they have a degree probably sends a little chill down the spine of anyone who has recruited graduates before.

The problem isn't in the world of work, but in the minds of people who have sadly had an inflated sense of entitlement driven into them. No matter how much you educate someone, you can't have a workforce of 50% generals and 50% infantry.
Original post by russellsteapot
Problem is, graduates are not being underemployed so much as people are expecting far too much out of their university education. With the exception of a handful of fields, university is largely useless at preparing you for the workplace. Being able to do maths/physics/chemistry/English/history/psychology/x/y/z... to a suitable level to pass exams doesn't entitle anyone to a high level job. Work skills can be learned in society, at school, university, on placements and from books but the vast majority of your employability relies on who you are (as a person) and where you have worked before. It's how it's always been.

University is more of a rubber-stamping procedure to say you're of reasonable intelligence and have potential. Sending 50% of the population to university doesn't mean there's a problem when only a fraction of those leaving are able to take 'good' jobs. Managerial and senior technical roles only account for a fraction of the jobs available, and you can't create more 'important' roles just because you have more graduates. If a business only needs one manager, it's only going to have one manager.

Graduates aren't a special breed, and they don't usually have employable skills that non-graduates do not have, aside from the vocational courses (medicine, law, etc). A graduate has a piece of paper saying they might have potential, but honestly most are not equipped to lead and never will be. They have to fit into businesses the same as anyone else, and the very best will rise to the top, but the vast majority will always be subordinates. I don't think it's a problem. Quite how a degree equips a graduate to deal with a situation better than someone with experience in the industry is beyond me. The idea of letting someone wander around with autonomy because they have a degree probably sends a little chill down the spine of anyone who has recruited graduates before.

The problem isn't in the world of work, but in the minds of people who have sadly had an inflated sense of entitlement driven into them. No matter how much you educate someone, you can't have a workforce of 50% generals and 50% infantry.

The bold bit is superb. University careers services critical flaws are that they push people into graduate schemes designed specifically for leadership and management roles. Well sorry to **** on your parade guys, but the vast majority of you are simply not fit for leadership. Stop wasting your time because life does not owe you anything for your degree.
The real problem and what needs to be tackled is the constant massive lie perpetuated by starry eyed parents, teachers and society in general that simply by going to uni and graduating you make everyone everywhere proud of you in one stroke and unlock the mystical secret to total happiness and prosperity never-ending, which oddly enough convinces kids that uni is basically where they need to be.

Then you come out on the other side with anything less than a STEM degree (and I know STEM grads struggling to find employment) and society immediately turns on you telling you to lower your ambitions, your hopes, your self-worth and stop being 'entitled'.

You learn that employers are indifferent to outright hostile to graduates, you wasted your treasure and time on it, and for many you're no closer to your career goals then you were before you enrolled, meanwhile universities have turned into profit driven business' all but solely interested in cramming as many paying young bodies through the door as they can manage.

This is all coming from someone who studied his degree knowing fine it wasn't the key to happy-ever-after and no sense of entitlement.

I imagine the shock for those who bought into the pre-graduation mantra find reality even more disappointing!
Reply 5
Perhaps we could stop sending intellectually average students to university?

Then they wouldn't develop an inflated sense of entitlement when it comes to their career and they also wouldn't view their Mcjob as a form of 'underemployment'.
Reply 6
What the OP wrote is exactly what's wrong with the graduate of today. These self-entitled snowflakes think it's someone else's fault. Oh no, it couldn't be the fact they essentially think a piece of paper guarantees them a job, it's the fact employers aren't thinking in the right way. Yep, definitely, totally.

I employ a couple of people and I can honestly say I could give a flying **** whether they have a degree or not. One does have a degree, but it isn't relevant to very much (religious studies). I employed that person because I worked with him on another unrelated project and I liked the way he worked. So far, I haven't been disappointed.

The other was actually an older person who wanted to do something on a voluntary basis. We've ended up entering a paid agreement and everything has worked out very well. In fact, I'm not even sure if they have a degree because they never asked. It made zero difference to me.

Here's the number one thing I ask as a small business employer:

1) Can you do the job or is it worth wasting the time training you up?

If you can, let's give it a whirl. If not, **** off. Whether you have a piece of paper or passed a few exams means zero to me. I care about what you can do not how well you studied for your exams. And, no, I'm not hostile to academia. I value academic knowledge very much in terms of how I approach life, but in a working environment whether you managed to write about the American Civil War well means absolutely nothing. I don't work in an academic industry, therefore I'm looking for skills over grades.

And, OP, I can't believe you actually suggested we would hire you and allow you to get on with it. The majority of graduates have little to no skills coming out of university. Employers have mentioned this time and time again. You have no real world experience. If we allowed you to run free you would **** up, and that's a fact.

Furthermore, you fail to understand what an employer is. You complain about hierarchy and micromanagement. I'm sorry, but this is the sort of statement which would make me not want to hire you. You don't seem to understand our businesses are our creations. They are like our children. We dedicate the majority of our lives to them. In a way, you could even describe them as children. Now would you let someone who you've just met have free reign over the progress of your child? I don't think so.

Please, for your own sake, understand how the real world works and get out of your bubble. I know it's frustrating for graduates, but there's nothing more stressful for an employer than taking a risk on someone who has almost no experience outside of the education system.
I think the government needs to do more to create a lot more jobs and opportunities for everyone, both graduates and non-graduates. Not just that, but young people also need to be better informed of all the different options out there, instead of just going along with what everyone else expects because they're too ignorant about what other paths they might be better suited to.

For example, part of me regrets doing A Levels - I only did them because it was seen as "the done thing" and I hardly knew about any other options, and I also wanted to go to uni for that fun student lifestyle. But if I had my time again, I would have probably looked more at doing an apprenticeship instead at age 16 or 17, because maybe I'd be in a much better position now. It wasn't till after I'd failed my A Levels that I decided to apply for apprenticeships at age 19/20, but by then I'd obviously missed the boat cos I got rejected from everything (I know they say that they're for 16-24 year olds, but realistically it seems that employers don't give a **** about employing apprentices over the age of 19). And now I feel a bit stuck, cos I could try to still get a degree, but I know there's a good chance it might not even help me one bit at improving my career prospects, due to the unavoidable fact that plenty of uni graduates can't get work anyway, so there's that fear of wasted efforts and hope. So it just feels like, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by russellsteapot

This, an excellent reply.

I think my tutor also put it best last week when he said that the average university student was only mildly intelligent, that many were simply well educated idiots who had the privilege of pushy parents, good school location and tutors and that in each academic year he could count on one hand the number of students who he thought had true genius (the ability to think creatively and originally while being quick witted and able to make something sound simple). The tutor in question has 2 PHD's and was a Banking expert, also a brilliant tutor.
A lot of middle class students (particularly from 1st generation middle class families) have been sold a lie: that a degree - any degree, in any subject - is the key the a professional career. "Transferable skills", i.e. skills so generic and vague that almost anyone can claim to have gained them from almost anything, and that yesteryear were easily picked up by office juniors, are part of this lie. More and more students are, painfully, beginning to see that it's just that, a lie.

As has already been said, a huge amount of degrees taken by students teach absolutely nothing about how to perform in the workplace. From an employer's point of view, their content is useless and irrelevant - and I'm not talking about "mickey mouse degrees", I'm talking about traditional, academic ones where places to study them at respectable universities are extremely competitive. So quite why employers should be expected to graduates on a pedestal, and give them interesting higher paid work is beyond me.

Now some employers are willing to do the above, but they are not required to do so and the amount that do is small compared to the amount of graduates, hence not most are going to have to go through the same channels as non-graduates when it comes to work. And the employers that are willing to fast track graduates are much more likely to favour applicants with certain degrees and who already have some work place experience such as a year in industry, summer placements, or mature students...
Original post by Genocidal
What the OP wrote is exactly what's wrong with the graduate of today. These self-entitled snowflakes. . .

This post comically and accurately makes the case in my last post. We bring children up drilling into them that they should go to uni and aim high and that the key to a prosperous career is by getting a degree. Then when they graduate they are met with hostile attitudes like this, called spoilt and entitled for believing what society has constantly drilled into them that if they work hard at school and uni and graduate, they have proven to society that they are worthy of a bit of a leg-up in the employment market.

It'd be nice if society and schools and employers simply sat kids down and started drilling into them that:

1. It's an employers world, you can be perfect and still shafted.

2. You will be expected to jump through hoops, spending hours drudging through inefficient and pointless application processes and forms and somehow navigate the whims and moods of HR departments and employers and still have no guarantee of even an interview but the employer has no obligation to so much as even shoot off a chain email to rejected candidates letting them know as much.

3. They should have just went to work in Tesco or something as soon as possible and kept that job for as long as possible, and to just settle for a 'McJob' and only seek a step up in life if you happen to know someone or someone who knows someone involved with a new position, because in the real world merit counts for little compared to nepotism and 'doing a friend a favour'.

thus...

4. Probably should start networking and hanging out with the kids of executives/high paid professionals when you're in primary school.

:biggrin: I'm somewhat taking the piss but basically the guy I quoted is the problem. We have a qualification system which apparently doesn't carry any weight in the real world making it an expensive redundancy.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
This post comically and accurately makes the case in my last post. We bring children up drilling into them that they should go to uni and aim high and that the key to a prosperous career is by getting a degree. Then when they graduate they are met with hostile attitudes like this, called spoilt and entitled for believing what society has constantly drilled into them that if they work hard at school and uni and graduate, they have proven to society that they are worthy of a bit of a leg-up in the employment market.

It'd be nice if society and schools and employers simply sat kids down and started drilling into them that:

1. It's an employers world, you can be perfect and still shafted.

2. You will be expected to jump through hoops, spending hours drudging through inefficient and pointless application processes and forms and somehow navigate the whims and moods of HR departments and employers and still have no guarantee of even an interview but the employer has no obligation to so much as even shoot off a chain email to rejected candidates letting them know as much.

3. They should have just went to work in Tesco or something as soon as possible and kept that job for as long as possible, and to just settle for a 'McJob' and only seek a step up in life if you happen to know someone or someone who knows someone involved with a new position, because in the real world merit counts for little compared to nepotism and 'doing a friend a favour'.

thus...

4. Probably should start networking and hanging out with the kids of executives/high paid professionals when you're in primary school.

:biggrin: I'm somewhat taking the piss but basically the guy I quoted is the problem. We have a qualification system which apparently doesn't carry any weight in the real world making it an expensive redundancy.

I wouldn't say people like me are the problem. If anything, people like me are just telling you the hard truth that we couldn't care less about your silly piece of paper. People like me should be in the majority. Students should know that a degree is just a piece of paper. It should be a part of your application, not the core.

I agree with what you said about the delusion and the lies.

I don't demand a degree when I'm looking to work with someone. I never even bring it up, but I notice it in the applications. It's always the applicant who brings it up, despite the fact I never even asked for it.

It's an attitude problem. We do have this obsession with university, and it's caused a lot of people to suffer because of it.

But to blame employers for it in the manner the OP did is nonsense. The blame should lie at the feet of the politicians here. Employers have been saying for years graduates lack real world experience, but because of parties like Labour pushing for everyone to go to university a lot of employers have been forced to make a degree a requirement just to separate the mass of graduates applying for the job, or they'd be wading through mountains more applications than they are now.

One area where I do think employers should improve on is rejection emails. I think it's only fair and I do make a point of replying to everyone who sends an email to me. I believe that's just basic courtesy.

It's an attitude problem. We do have this obsession with university, and it's caused a lot of people to suffer because of it.

Agreed, I pointed out your original tone because it presented a hostile tone towards graduates despite the fact that society drills into kids that the only way forward is a degree.

I think we're on the same page here that politicians, teachers, parents and so forth need a reality check and to stop pushing the now out-dated idea into their kids heads that a degree is basically where they have to end up to even begin to have a happy comfortable life.

One thing I'd note is unhelpful is employers blaming the graduates (it happens a lot) instead of realising they are a product of a system they themselves endorse, if by their silence. (The whole point of education is to ultimately and ideally end up in employment so they have a responsibility to make it explicitly clear to politicians and educators what they expect and need).
The endorsement even extends to participation in a defunct system. These same employers who put tons of CV's from graduates in shredders often would and do push their kids to excel academically (that is attend university and graduate).

Education is great and everyone should enjoy educating themselves for it's own sake but yeah. Too many grads is just creating a lot of employment market pain.
Go onto the internet and blame the government, the previous government, employers, universities, the USA, China and capitalism.
making graduates pay a fixed tuition for getting experience.Simple.
Reply 15
What the OP wrote is exactly what's wrong with the graduate of today. These self-entitled snowflakes think it's someone else's fault. Oh no, it couldn't be the fact they essentially think a piece of paper guarantees them a job, it's the fact employers aren't thinking in the right way. Yep, definitely, totally.

I employ a couple of people and I can honestly say I could give a flying **** whether they have a degree or not. One does have a degree, but it isn't relevant to very much (religious studies). I employed that person because I worked with him on another unrelated project and I liked the way he worked. So far, I haven't been disappointed.

The other was actually an older person who wanted to do something on a voluntary basis. We've ended up entering a paid agreement and everything has worked out very well. In fact, I'm not even sure if they have a degree because they never asked. It made zero difference to me.

Here's the number one thing I ask as a small business employer:

1) Can you do the job or is it worth wasting the time training you up?

If you can, let's give it a whirl. If not, **** off. Whether you have a piece of paper or passed a few exams means zero to me. I care about what you can do not how well you studied for your exams. And, no, I'm not hostile to academia. I value academic knowledge very much in terms of how I approach life, but in a working environment whether you managed to write about the American Civil War well means absolutely nothing. I don't work in an academic industry, therefore I'm looking for skills over grades.

And, OP, I can't believe you actually suggested we would hire you and allow you to get on with it. The majority of graduates have little to no skills coming out of university. Employers have mentioned this time and time again. You have no real world experience. If we allowed you to run free you would **** up, and that's a fact.

Furthermore, you fail to understand what an employer is. You complain about hierarchy and micromanagement. I'm sorry, but this is the sort of statement which would make me not want to hire you. You don't seem to understand our businesses are our creations. They are like our children. We dedicate the majority of our lives to them. In a way, you could even describe them as children. Now would you let someone who you've just met have free reign over the progress of your child? I don't think so.

Please, for your own sake, understand how the real world works and get out of your bubble. I know it's frustrating for graduates, but there's nothing more stressful for an employer than taking a risk on someone who has almost no experience outside of the education system.

I completely disagree with your views and find your attitude rather nasty.

When did I say having a piece of paper entitled you to a good job? In fact, I don't recall ever using the word 'entitled'. I would suggest that it is you who in fact has a sense of entitlement and needs your attitude to be addressed. The way you throw insults around, pass instant judgements about people and swear at them. What exactly gives you right to swear at people? Please explain.

How you view your employees is rather disappointing to be honest but I'm glad you've raised it because it now gives me a chance to ask you a few questions.

1) Surely if your business was your 'child', then you want the best for it and for it to prosper, Is swearing at people and treating them as 'subordinates' really the way for a business to move forward. I appreciate the status quo may support this, but surely you must be able to see that the best option for the business is to get the best out of your employees?
2) Do you believe your attitude motivates your employees?
3) Would you be happy for your child to be treated in the manner in which you treat your employees?
4) Surely, as a business owner and leader, you should be making the most of your employees skills?

Your attitude is very much of gaining power over people and preventing freedom, autonomy and independence. I wonder where this philosophy comes from and if there are any references which you are willing to admit to? To me it sounds more like a cross between a military dictatorship and the 19th century British demographic. Whereby people are conveniently prevented from accessing education, gaining independence/ autonomy for the pure selfishness of a few indivuduals/ minority groups. How has this attitude developed in you? Do you believe it is necessary in your 'real world' or it is genuinely what you believe?

You say you appreciate academic study but then completely separate it from the workplace. Why do this? Surely work is the application of theory? Theory being defined through study, research, knowledge and practice. Why do you feel the need to completely separate the two, and what do you mean by the 'real world'? If you have power (which you seem to be intent on achieving) then why not improve the system, rather than dragging it down. If you care about approach to life, then why not work? Is work not part of life?

What is your business/ background? Mine is design, so i do appreciate that I can be idealistic at times, but I genuinely believe if you do things the right way and open your mind to what others can do and the possibilities of collective effort, autonomy and independence, then it is better for everyone.

The way forward for Britain is to change the way we operate, and change the attitude of our leaders. If employers don't feel that graduates have the skills they require then i would be really concerned about what it is they are looking for? Perhaps a more vulnerable, less educated, less empowered individual who is just willing to accept (or unable to prevent) abuse, exploitation and bullying. The fact that a lot of graduates are empowered (knowledge=power?) must be awful for someone with your mindset.

You mention graduates becoming leaders. Who said anything about graduates needing to be leaders. It's more to do with how one does their job and goes about their daily life (including work) and in my opinion graduates are more aware and conscientious because of the benefits which studying for a degree brings to the individual (see below).

Businesses are not the creations of an individual, they are the creations of a collective. Unless you can prove otherwise?

If businesses are like your children then why do we see so much malpractice? Abusing government systems, regulation and employees. Is that how you would treat your children? Using them as a weapon to gain as much for yourself as possible?

I can't believe you said ' The majority of graduates have little to no skills coming out of university'. First of all, how very sad that you feel this way considering you say you have previously studied for a degree, and second, really? Do you believe that? Maybe you said this out of haste? There are many skills which you gain by studying at university.

It would be difficult for me to generalise here considering the wide variety of courses and qualifications which graduates hold (an advantage in itself - if you can't see this for yourself, then i suggest you research the advantages of diversity). Anyway, i will try to outline below what I personally have learnt from studying for a degree;

- Understanding other cultures. Meeting people who are different and come from a variety of different cultural backgrounds.
- Independence. Living away from home and being able to take care of myself. Also, being able to research relevant material, accessing resources (libraries etc), developing arguments etc.
- Self motivation. As above + feeling as if I am able to get up and change something if I believe it needs to be changed. Feeling Empowered by education.
- Creativity. Not maybe applicable to all degrees but certainly for most. Being able to think differently, identify solutions and spot opportunities.
- Knowledge of a subject. Many subjects are diverse and can be relevant to a wide range of disciplines in the workplace.
- Pursuit of interests. Enriching myself with knowledge and passion for a subject. If not in professional work, then generally in life. This has made me a more rounded person.
- Communication/ presentation skills.
- Literacy skills.
- Experience of living in a new area. Living away from home, navigating a big city, meeting new people, becoming independent.
- Cultural capital.
- Confidence.
- Able to find common ground with people from a wide range of backgrounds.

You refer to my bubble, yet you completely separate academia and work. I work in the private sector whilst still participating in academia. I admit that my employer did find my way of working slightly different to the status quo but I feel that we have now built a good relationship and understand each other. I have greater autonomy and they gain my skill set for the benefit of the company. Admittedly, It took a while to convince management but I believe I did in the end. So, which bubble do I live in exactly?

Have you heard of the term 'emerging cultural capital'? If not, then look it up.
Original post by David_Cook
Perhaps we could stop sending intellectually average students to university?

Then they wouldn't develop an inflated sense of entitlement when it comes to their career and they also wouldn't view their Mcjob as a form of 'underemployment'.

:rofl:

But in all seriousness I completely agree.

I think it's fantastic that we have a society where half the population enters higher education, but I think it's idealistically fantastic rather than economically viable.

The government loses money from funding students (as far as I'm aware), hence the tuition fee scandals. It does annoy me that I am a mathematician (thus need a degree), but myself and many other whose strength is academia are being forced to pay more so that someone who doesn't really need or want a degree is forced to do a BA in hairdressing studies so that they can get a good job. Nobody wins.

Academia should be open to anyone who wants to go (even 'intellectually average' students if they are interested). However, it shouldn't be a stepping stone to a completely unrelated job. There should be more schemes to train people straight from a-levels, and they should be no less prestigious than a degree - some people are good at academia, some are good in real life. The latter could be having fun on a salary whilst being trained for a job they want to do and will use their skills for.
Reply 17
I dont really understand all the posts. A lot of jobs that I applied for required a 2:1 degree to even access the application form!
Reply 18
This is the solution.

Who wouldn't want to join an organisation like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C9iUaP51CI
Reply 19
its due to the uncertain economic climate, when the economy recovers there will be more graduate jobs

Latest

Trending

Trending