The Student Room Group

Got into med... Have to wait for 1 year....

Hi everyone,

if i didn't do so well at AS, but then achieved A*A*A /A*AA at A2 then decided to apply for medicine, what would i do for that whole period from when i apply in october to when i start uni the following september? its basically a whole year, and i cant include what i did in my personal statemnt... i would also forget all the chem and bio i did...

would i be able to apply for widening acess courses? ie BM6/UEA?...or do you have to apply whilst in year 12 its friday now have to wait untill monday to ask:angry:

THANKS EVERYONE!
Original post by airmail
Hi everyone,

if i didn't do so well at AS, but then achieved A*A*A /A*AA at A2 then decided to apply for medicine, what would i do for that whole period from when i apply in october to when i start uni the following september? its basically a whole year, and i cant include what i did in my personal statemnt... i would also forget all the chem and bio i did...

would i be able to apply for widening acess courses? ie BM6/UEA?...or do you have to apply whilst in year 12 its friday now have to wait untill monday to ask:angry:

THANKS EVERYONE!

Perhaps do some work experience or voluntary work, or get a paid job? :smile: As for forgetting the biology or chemistry, you could just go over it once in a while to keep it fresh in your mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Lucy96
Perhaps do some work experience or voluntary work, or get a paid job? :smile: As for forgetting the biology or chemistry, you could just go over it once in a while to keep it fresh in your mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

THANKS!!!, ONE LAST QUESTION...

would i be able to apply for widening acess courses? ie BM6/UEA?...or do you have to apply whilst in year 12

can i apply to widening accecs courses ie BM6/UEA if i take a levels over 3 years i.e retake year 12 after disappointing results?

THANKS AGAIN!!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by airmail
THANKS!!!, ONE LAST QUESTION...

would i be able to apply for widening acess courses? ie BM6/UEA?...or do you have to apply whilst in year 12

can i apply to widening accecs courses ie BM6/UEA if i take a levels over 3 years i.e retake year 12 after disappointing results?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Best thing to say would be contact the universities directly to get a definitive answer or check their websites - they usually have an FAQ section :smile:
It's worth pointing out that a year might feel like a long, long time to you now, but as you get older you realise it's really not! I got rejected last year, and this year has crept up much faster than I thought it would!
Reply 5
Original post by MJK91
It's worth pointing out that a year might feel like a long, long time to you now, but as you get older you realise it's really not! I got rejected last year, and this year has crept up much faster than I thought it would!

Can I pay you to softly whisper this over and over to me on Skype as I fall asleep at night?

Applying in March, won't know anything until 30th July... :s-smilie:
Original post by Ronove
Can I pay you to softly whisper this over and over to me on Skype as I fall asleep at night?

Applying in March, won't know anything until 30th July... :s-smilie:

I do cassette tapes for very reasonable prices :smile: good luck!
Original post by airmail
Hi everyone,

THANKS EVERYONE!

Plenty of people have a gap year before starting medicine. It's actually about 15 months from finishing A2 to starting uni, so there's a few months before your application goes off for you to do things to write about in your PS, and you can also talk about things you intend to do with the rest of your year. Getting a job for the year would be a very wise idea. You're not going to forget bio/chem, it all comes back very quickly and the first bit of medical school is usually just going over the relevant parts of those subjects to get everyone up to speed.

Widening access for medicine has the same deadline as normal medicine courses.
Original post by airmail
Hi everyone,

THANKS EVERYONE!

Get a job....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by airmail
Hi everyone,

THANKS EVERYONE!

Loads of people are reapplicants (apply after a year out) either because of a similar situation to you or because they failed to get in when applying in year 13 or just wanted a gap year etc. there's no real disadvantage and many unis look favourably upon it.
You could use the year to travel maybe earn some money then try something gap medics esque. Or simply work an admission tutor said his favourite personal statement was from a guy talking about working in McDonald's and how it prepared him for medicine! A lot of med hopefuls get carehomey type jobs and carer roles in gap years. You won't make much but it depends what you want from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
can i get into (6 years) medicine with maths biology photography and english AS ?
Reply 11
Original post by alex-andra
can i get into (6 years) medicine with maths biology photography and english AS
Um you'd need to look at specific unis as some dont offer foundation years to people with science a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending