The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Noble.
It isn't already?

Touché to that one
Reply 81
Original post by Nerdgirl1996
I just got rejected from Oxford yesterday and I feel absolutely horrible. I know everyone feels this way, but I just can't help constantly thinking about it and hating myself. I emailed the college, asking them why, but they said I'd have to wait till January.

I know I still have five other choices etc., but I have just become so attached to Oxford in the last few months that I really feel as if I can't be happy anywhere else. I definitely plan on reapplying, but I'd have to wait an entire year, and even then, there's no certainty. I can't eat, I don't feel like going out, and the only thing I've been doing all day is lying in my bed and rereading the rejection email.

Which college did you apply to? I live in oxford and am applying for law with german. I'm still waiting to hear if I get an interview, so quite nervous atm! Don't get disheartened, the success rate is only about 10% for law and i know they look for certain things. I would say take the gap year if you have your heart set on oxford and gain some useful experiences. Where else have you applied?
You've come across badly in this thread. Maybe something similar happened with your personal statement/LNAT etc.
if you're lucky your reincarnation will get into oxford
I'd be interested to see what the replies would be if the dream university was just a 'regular' university. I'm sure there'd be far more sympathy than "get over it".
Reply 85
Not insanely, but pretty well-off, I'd say.

standard. what's rich to you? owning a private jet? an island?

do you consider yourself incredibly privileged ?

(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah, that is true. LSE is looking pretty good right now, and I have to wait four more weeks for a final decision. I just don't want to get my hopes up again! Where have you applied? :smile:

Good luck, LSE is a fantastic uni :smile: All of your choices are, so even if you only get one acceptance (which I highly doubt) it'll be for somewhere amazing! I'm in year 12, but I hope to apply for English next year :smile:
Reply 87
This kind of university snobbery sickens me
Original post by cant_think_of_name
I got rejected from Oxford last year. I had my heart set on it too, and one of the most crushing things was that three of my best friends got places at Oxbridge. I could have let it get it to me, but instead I looked at it with a sense of perspective. I have a place at another university - another great one (Lancaster), and my best friend got BCD and was delighted with the apprenticeship he got. That gave me encouragement.

I'm glad you ended up in a place you love.

Imagine coming on here, knowing that you've applied to a university that is lower down the rankings, you're working your arse off for a pass at A-Level - and you see someone who is almost certainly a very good candidate (just not what Oxford were looking for) and who almost certainly will get offers from other top universities. How would you feel? It would be horrible.

I don't think that argument is very valid. That's like saying that someone whose parents have just gotten divorced shouldn't complain in case it upsets someone with dead parents. This is a personally traumatic experience for her and she has a right to be upset.

If you're going to hide in a cupboard when you get rejected from a dream university, how are you going to deal with things later in life? It's cliche, but you have it so much better than so many people in this world.

Obviously, I'd get over it, but everyone's allowed some mope time. Everyone has a recovery period after a bad event, exactly like you probably did with your Oxford rejection. We all get over it, but we're all allowed time to hide in our bedrooms and play Elbow on repeat - that doesn't mean we're unable to cope with life.

I appreciate my tone was a little harsh, but it was late, and I was annoyed. The OP comes across as naive and wanting when the reality is that under 20% of people were ever going to get a place, so to expect anything really is letting yourself in for disappointment.

I understand what you mean, but no matter how low the chances are, there's always a bit of you hoping. I lost in a competition last year where I had a 0.5% chance of winning, but I was still upset that I lost. It's not what we expect - it's what we hope.

xx
Original post by brendonbackflip
I'd be interested to see what the replies would be if the dream university was just a 'regular' university. I'm sure there'd be far more sympathy than "get over it".

If someone was so upset about not getting into any university that they couldn't eat, couldn't feel like they were happy anywhere else etc. I would be telling them to get a grip.

Original post by paradoxicalme
I'm glad you ended up in a place you love.

Thank you :smile:

I don't think that argument is very valid. That's like saying that someone whose parents have just gotten divorced shouldn't complain in case it upsets someone with dead parents. This is a personally traumatic experience for her and she has a right to be upset.

I don't really agree. That's an extreme example and I could understand being upset in both cases. The thing that annoys me is that people like this seem to think that they need to be at Oxford University to be happy and the people who are applying to "lesser" universities see that and it's upsetting and demotivating.

Obviously, I'd get over it, but everyone's allowed some mope time. Everyone has a recovery period after a bad event, exactly like you probably did with your Oxford rejection. We all get over it, but we're all allowed time to hide in our bedrooms and play Elbow on repeat - that doesn't mean we're unable to cope with life.

My Oxford sadness lasted around half a minute. I appreciate everyone's different - I generally deal with things pretty well and I get that other people don't. But I just think that people are taking this whole thing wayyy too seriously. I mean, her grades are awesome and I have no doubt she'll end up at LSE or another great uni here, or maybe a great one in the US. Be happy with that, rather than letting this destroy you

I understand what you mean, but no matter how low the chances are, there's always a bit of you hoping. I lost in a competition last year where I had a 0.5% chance of winning, but I was still upset that I lost. It's not what we expect - it's what we hope.

I know, but there is a time to be realistic as well.

I hope you know I don't mean you any ill will - you seem like a nice girl. I don't mean ill will to the OP either. I just want people to understand that having a bit of perspective goes a long way in situations like this :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Was rooting for you. I know people who said to get over it like it didn't matter just don't get it that some people have built their life based on that dream of attending that particular university. Maybe it's a reflection of their attitude towards high quality education in general. I don't expect them to understand. You'll get over it no doubt, just that it's quite insensitive for people to tell you that like you're being shallow about having dreams.

Let's wait for the feedback from the college and see if it's wise to wait a year and reapply. Good luck!
Original post by cant_think_of_name
If someone was so upset about not getting into any university that they couldn't eat, couldn't feel like they were happy anywhere else etc. I would be telling them to get a grip.

Why? Obviously its not good to be so sad about it, but its understandable and slightly difficult to just "get a grip" - its quite hard to see logical explanations or solutions when you're upset.
:frown: Unlucky, best of luck with the rest of your choices. You're still much smarter than the rest of these haters, they're all probably happy you didn't get in. Regardless, your other choices will get you far in life.
Reply 93
Original post by wildchild7
Which college did you apply to? I live in oxford and am applying for law with german. I'm still waiting to hear if I get an interview, so quite nervous atm! Don't get disheartened, the success rate is only about 10% for law and i know they look for certain things. I would say take the gap year if you have your heart set on oxford and gain some useful experiences. Where else have you applied?

I applied to Magdalen. My other choices are LSE, UCL, KCL, and Durham :smile:
Reply 94
Original post by mimi112
standard. what's rich to you? owning a private jet? an island?

do you consider yourself incredibly privileged ?

Yes, I suppose so. Unfortunately, I own none of those things :tongue: How does this affect anything, though?
Reply 95
Original post by paradoxicalme
Good luck, LSE is a fantastic uni :smile: All of your choices are, so even if you only get one acceptance (which I highly doubt) it'll be for somewhere amazing! I'm in year 12, but I hope to apply for English next year :smile:

Yup, really hoping it works out! And good luck for you as well :wink:
Reply 96
I'm arrogant because I aimed high? I'm arrogant because I gave a "rather immature" comeback to your rude comment?
Reply 97
Original post by Little Boots
You've come across badly in this thread. Maybe something similar happened with your personal statement/LNAT etc.

I'm genuinely confounded as to why I've come across badly? I didn't mean to sound arrogant! How is being upset at not getting into a university you badly wanted to go to a sign of arrogance?!
Reply 98
Original post by Abdul-Karim
:frown: Unlucky, best of luck with the rest of your choices. You're still much smarter than the rest of these haters, they're all probably happy you didn't get in. Regardless, your other choices will get you far in life.

You are the one who criticised her first. Why should you complain when she criticises you in return?

I think certain people are being very unfair to the OP in their comments.

Latest

Trending

Trending