The Student Room Group

Post arguments against vegetarianism/veganism, please!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juichiro
Politician: why should we make things easier for the poor? Life ain't easy. *sits back and drinks expensive wine*

Er...
Personally, I find many of the arguments against vegetarianism or veganism misguided. They act simply to try to defend a part of someone's lifestyle, and hence are often irrational.
Reply 82
Original post by felamaslen
Er...

Should I elaborate?
The user said:

me + steak = one happy person

so I said:

tiger + him = one happy tiger

Ok, suit yourself.
Should I elaborate?

Yes please.
Reply 85
Original post by CoolRunner
Ok, suit yourself.

Pardon?
Pardon?

What do you want? You quoted me?
Reply 87
Yes please.

You said: " Animal suffering occurs at the hands of other animals, and the environment, and always has done."

Just because animal suffer at the hands of other animals, and the environment does not justify or make it right or less wrong to add more suffering.

I used your line of reasoning in my example for a politician who might say that we should not help poor people with better education, welfare,etc using the argument that they have always been like that so staying a few more years in that poor state won't be so bad.
Reply 88
What do you want? You quoted me?

What do you mean by suit yourself?
You said: " Animal suffering occurs at the hands of other animals, and the environment, and always has done."

Just because animal suffer at the hands of other animals, and the environment does not justify or make it right or less wrong to add more suffering.

I used your line of reasoning in my example for a politician who might say that we should not help poor people with better education, welfare,etc using the argument that they have always been like that so staying a few more years in that poor state won't be so bad.

The analogy doesn't quite work. I was saying that as a policy to ensure animals don't suffer, vegetarianism won't work. This is because only a minority of animal suffering is caused by humans. Poverty on the other hand is something that politicians can control, by not implementing insane economic policies such as communism.
Bacon.
Reply 91
The analogy doesn't quite work. 1.I was saying that as a policy to ensure animals don't suffer, vegetarianism won't work. 2.This is because only a minority of animal suffering is caused by humans. 3.Poverty on the other hand is something that politicians can control, by not implementing insane economic policies such as communism.

1. True. Vegetarianism is an ethical stance not a policy. But any policy ensuring animal suffering prevention will likely draw on the animal rights movement.

2.That depends on which animals. Animals such as hens and pigs are not covered in your statement. All their poor living conditions are directly caused by humans.

3. lol Are you serious? You need something else apart from a politician to erase poverty in a given country. Especially, in the Third World where levels of corruption are insane.
What do you mean by suit yourself?

I probably used the wrong terms. I was looking for something on the lines of fair play?
Reply 93
I probably used the wrong terms. I was looking for something on the lines of fair play?

Sorry, I am lost.
1. True. Vegetarianism is an ethical stance not a policy. But any policy ensuring animal suffering prevention will likely draw on the animal rights movement.

2.That depends on which animals. Animals such as hens and pigs are not covered in your statement. All their poor living conditions are directly caused by humans.

3. lol Are you serious? You need something else apart from a politician to erase poverty in a given country. Especially, in the Third World where levels of corruption are insane.

Don't know what your first point was; policy / ethical stance, whatever. I see your point regarding the hens and pigs; battery farming should be banned (not least also for health benefits!). But I don't see how stopping all meat consumption would be of any real benefit to the well-being of conscious creatures in general. It's more of a "feel-good" gesture than anything else, from what I can make out.

I was using the term "politician" rather loosely. I agree that corruption is one of the major causes of poverty worldwide.
Reply 95
What I don't understand is how people believe it's fine to eat cows and pigs because it's natural but then it's seen as cruel to eat cats and dogs or horses, what's the difference? They're all animals after all, and if it's based on intelligence it's been proved that pigs are just as intelligent as dogs
Also it would be cheaper if everyone didn't eat meat as we are feeding farm animals food we could eat ourselves and taking up land that could be used to grow crops.
Sorry, I am lost.

Ok, whatever.

On to topic - There is pretty much nothing to say against the concept of vegan-ism/vegetarianism. The only thing that pisses me off though is the extremist movements for the adoption of it, such as PETA.

191331.jpg

Stuff like this (I consider it as a joke) are not gonna convince people to adopt vegan-vegetarian-ism.
Reply 97
Don't know what your first point was; policy / ethical stance, whatever. I see your point regarding the hens and pigs; battery farming should be banned (not least also for health benefits!). 1.But I don't see how stopping all meat consumption would be of any real benefit to the well-being of conscious creatures in general. It's more of a "feel-good" gesture than anything else, from what I can make out.

I was using the term "politician" rather loosely. I agree that corruption is one of the major causes of poverty worldwide.

1. The way I see it, the reasoning behind not eating non-human animals is the same as the reasoning behind not eating human animals: animals do not want to be eaten.
It is interesting that you mention consciousness because there is neither a scientific definition for it nor evidence of its existence. For all that we care, consciousness is currently as provable as the soul.
Reply 98
Original post by beth196
What I don't understand is how people believe it's fine to eat cows and pigs because it's natural but then it's seen as cruel to eat cats and dogs or horses, what's the difference? They're all animals after all, and if it's based on intelligence it's been proved that pigs are just as intelligent as dogs
Also it would be cheaper if everyone didn't eat meat as we are feeding farm animals food we could eat ourselves and taking up land that could be used to grow crops.

I read about this somewhere. Good point, Beth. :smile:
Reply 99
Ok, whatever.

On to topic - There is pretty much nothing to say against the concept of vegan-ism/vegetarianism. The only thing that pisses me off though is the extremist movements for the adoption of it, such as PETA.

191331.jpg

Stuff like this (I consider it as a joke) are not gonna convince people to adopt vegan-vegetarian-ism.

I totally agree. Using emotional blackmail is low. I see they are a bit desperate for effecting changes but I don't think their current methods are appropriate. I am an advocate of the use of reason when it comes to these matters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending